'65 Stingray Nominal Basic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, with your all black parts so far, any chance you could paint the bars black and go with a black seat cover? I think that would really 'sweeten' this build. The glossy black on the fork and crank set looks killer!

Boy, with your all black parts so far, any chance you could paint the bars black and go with a black seat cover? I think that would really 'sweeten' this build. The glossy black on the fork and crank set looks killer!
Thanks OJ: Ive been thinking that actually for a few weeks! I’m down with the blackout... i was thinking on everything! -but my weather is so awful here in upstate NY, I don’t think I can do it right.

Maybe when I get the tires on and everything together, I’ll look at the calendar and see how much time I’ve got left!

Turn my 1 car garage into a paint booth for a half day.

I think you'd kick yourself if you didn't. Check the forecast, there has to be a 40-45 degree day in there somewhere. Heat up the ol' single stall and spray on!

F3EF0484-0FF0-470A-8643-4E8884E12C3F.jpeg
My wife won’t argue; I got a few screws loose.... or missing altogether!!

Happy thanksgiving guys.

Gobble till ya wobble...

Then get on a bike!!!! :heart:

Looks like your 'turkey's ' well done Jude! Diggin' that badge and the shiny black cups.

14E9A8F7-8178-4997-AA26-26F98170119D.jpeg
Mounted the tubes n tires; I tried to reuse an old tube on the front.

I already got a flat and I haven’t even ridden it yet! Lol. I got another tube around here somewhere!!!

I got the tires on the cheap off eBay. They had a ton of mold release on them. I got most of it off with paint thinner but there’s still some in cracks and crevices. As I get closer to final assembly, I’ll really scrub them.

The rear is a real meat!

View attachment 110238 Mounted the tubes n tires; I tried to reuse an old tube on the front.

I already got a flat and I haven’t even ridden it yet! Lol. I got another tube around here somewhere!!!

I got the tires on the cheap off eBay. They had a ton of mold release on them. I got most of it off with paint thinner but there’s still some in cracks and crevices. As I get closer to final assembly, I’ll really scrub them.

The rear is a real meat!

Great set of wheels! I have a soft spot for whole-black wheels.

Cassette tape, that's like the vcr of DVDs, but for mp3s, right?:39:

It make me laugh for a solid 15min :rofl:

Nice wheels/tires, I too like an all black wheel.

Do you still need screws for the badge? I think I saved them when I took the badge off my Varsity.

Dig the black set up! Those tires have a real beefy re: 'muscly' look to them. Anxious to see it all together.

Nice wheels/tires, I too like an all black wheel.

Do you still need screws for the badge? I think I saved them when I took the badge off my Varsity.
Thanks PG! I had to laugh, shortly after I took that pic’, my wife was clucking at me about some of the frames I have hanging up in my basement. As she pointed to an old fair lady frame in disgust, I noticed it had a head badge on it!!! as the badge is completely thrashed, it did have 2 nice screws in it!

I nabbed one & put it on the ‘65!!:dance2:

Thanks for the offer!

Last edited:
Jude, I'm glad someone finally has used the Duplicolor Effex. I just finished reading your whole thread. Folks here have short memories. In 2015 on MBBO#4 I first used it on Gratified, a bare metal build. (and often after, I love it!)
Gratified 1.jpg

This pic may help some of you all to see what EFFEX really does. Like Jude said, it POPS in the sunlight. I like that in low light there is no shadow of dust or flake, it must be a fine powder. I'm glad it works over patina that idea was pure genius.
I am curious why did you chose the fork you painted black, when that Ashtabula blade fork on page one was available, and is it bent or just an odd angle shot in the first pic above?

Carl.

Last edited:
Jude, I'm glad someone finally has used the Duplicolor Effex. I just finished reading your whole thread. Folks here have short memories. In 2015 on MBBO#4 I first used it on Gratified, a bare metal build. (and often after, I love it!)View attachment 110484
This pic may help some of you all to see what EFFEX really does. Like Jude said, it POPS in the sunlight. I like that in low light there is no shadow of dust or flake, it must be a fine powder. I'm glad it works over patina that idea was pure genius.
I am curious why did you chose the fork you painted black, when that Ashtabula blade fork on page one was available, and is it bent or just an odd angle shot in the first pic above?

Carl.
Thanks for your input Carl! The effex paint on your bare metal frame looks epic!!!! I think my patina finish is a little too busy for the effex paint to have such a dramatic impact like it does on your bare metal frame.

On my bike, It does pop in the sun and is a nice twist on the patina frame, but truth be told, I think the biggest bang out of the effex paint is on a solid color bike / part like you did.

The blade fork is cool, but its off a girls bike (I think!) and required to be cut to make it work on this bike. At this point, that’s a bit past my tool and skill set and I didn’t want to pay to have the rework done to that fork.

As far as front ends go, all I knew was I DIDN’T want to put a springer front end on the bike! Lol

I was actually looking for a rat-trap front fork (but would have settled for a huffy rail fork) and I would have paid to have either modified. I found a couple of rat trap front forks on eBay and Craigslist. -They were either super expensive or needed an 8 hour round trip drive + stripped, light body work and the rework of the steer tube to fit onto the bike.

I went to the Trexlertown swap meet in the fall and found this truss fork for $10 that bolted right on with no work. (Other than strip and paint) I really wanted a black rat trap, but the truss fork was cheap, convenient and will still cause Schwinn aficionados to do a double take.

Latest posts

Back