Kona Cafe'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sold a chainsaw last night, and a backpack blower today. So I think I'll go back and make an offer on the axe, as it should make a good prop for the muscle bike:D
Andy-and-gig-bag.jpg

Speed Triple?
Yeah, looks like it.
products-speed_triple_2010.jpg
Might be a good inspiration for this build. Wish I could find some cool triple tree suspension forks like those at a reasonable price. Would make mounting headlights and a little quarter fairing like that easier.
Maybe this will become an e-bike.

Anyway, the guitar turned out to be the deluxe model, 325 SLX made in the early 90's, with the fiddleback maple top and the chorus electronics.
20191105_152352.jpg
And they took my lower offer so I went ahead and got it.
They didn't have the original case. But threw in a backpack soft case that had a couple of harmonicas, some guitar honey, a few pics and a new set of strings in it.
Not a real high end guitar. I think it's laminated. But kind of unique style. And not a scratch on it other than some playing wear. A dull area that can likely be buffed out. Those white lines are just reflections.

Last edited:
I like it.
Should sound decent plugged in and resist feedback at a higher volume. That and the resilience of a laminate top make it a good candidate for live performance. Do the electronics in it have a notch filter?

Carl.

I like it.
Should sound decent plugged in and resist feedback at a higher volume. That and the resilience of a laminate top make it a good candidate for live performance. Do the electronics in it have a notch filter?

Carl.
Thanks. I read some reviews and they weren't all positive. Some didn't like the twangy sound that the unorthodox shape and small slash sound hole help produce. But apparently these were used by some who desired that sound.
But I was looking for a smaller guitar. Something bordering on a parlor guitar. Maybe something telecaster-ish. A cutaway slyle. But this one caught my eye.

As far as the notch filter, I don't even know. I believe it has some sort of defeat functions on the small control board that looks like a tiny equalizer with five slide adjustments, one being the chorus feature.
Here's a short vid of a more experienced player to give an idea of what it's capable of

I'm pretty much a rank amateur. I played a ukulele when I was a kid, so have a little strumming experience. And played a little on a friends bass a few times. I can tune it. It's mostly new to me. And live performances from me will likely be unwelcome by unsuspecting listeners:bigsmile:.
But I'm hoping I can learn. And if it turns out that I need a different style guitar to match my capabilities, this one still has some visual artistic qualities and will look good on the bookshelf or hanging on the wall.

Last edited:
I use this LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI pedal between my acoustics and PA or acoustic amp. It is a great way to get a boost and shape your tone, including a notch filter, presence, treble , mid, low eq, XLR out to house system. It's not cheap, but you can find used ones for $100 range and you will never have a thin sounding acoustic guitar again!

para acoustic DI .jpg

If you look for a triple tree fork at a reasonable price you should define "reasonable price".
Zoom have a triple tree frokthat cost 120 bucks new or something and is in no way suitable for downhill, but ok for street riding. They also make an "upside down" triple tree that you can adjust the height of via a valve, it is more expensive though. And you have to consider they both take a through-axle so you need such a wheel too.

Wooot! That's a shocker! Just did a quick search, saw that one of those sold (with axle, hub, and .... brake) for $1495 this summer! Looks like it can handle some heavy weight, it comes stock on their 76lb e-motorcycle
download.jpeg
I dunno, it's got pedals. E-moped?

Looks like they launched it at Interbike in 2015.
Risse Metron:
150-225mm travel
150mm hub spacing
Dual Discs
Perfect for “urban, downhill, or e-bikes”

Gotta try and get motivated this weekend on the skateboard seat.
Gonna double up on this in the morning.
20191110_180548.jpg

Also thinkin I picked the wrong string instrument for my prop. Not sure the Charvel is what I needed to learn on. But it looks cool.
So...picked up this old early 70's Yamaha classical geetar the other day for cheap. G-85A
20191115_213842.jpg

In the right direction of the Kona muscle bike. But still too big. And...gotta keep up with the Jones's..err..Carls.

Soooo:D....not exactly what I was looking for. But small...and way way too cheap to pass up...not a tool for beginners...but should look good hangin on the wall:grin:
20191113_192432.jpg

Got something in mind. Just one more to round out the collection:nod:
Hard to find used though.

If you look for a triple tree fork at a reasonable price you should define "reasonable price".
Zoom have a triple tree frokthat cost 120 bucks new or something and is in no way suitable for downhill, but ok for street riding. They also make an "upside down" triple tree that you can adjust the height of via a valve, it is more expensive though. And you have to consider they both take a through-axle so you need such a wheel too.
120 is pretty reasonable. A heck of a lot more than I paid for the bike. But nothing close to what the higher end downhill forks go for.

Wooot! That's a shocker! Just did a quick search, saw that one of those sold (with axle, hub, and .... brake) for $1495 this summer! Looks like it can handle some heavy weight, it comes stock on their 76lb e-motorcycleView attachment 109039 I dunno, it's got pedals. E-moped?
That looks too fast to ride on the trails around here. I don't think they'd allow it. And probably have to be registered as a motorcycle to ride on the street.

And how could I even mount a banana seat on a full suspension bike!!:bigsmile:

Parts gathering for the Kona Cafe' is starting to fall in place.

The most elusive part, that fit the narrative, was obtained today.:D
20191126_105631.jpg

Vintage Giannini baritone uke from a pawn shop for next to nuthin.

And the story continues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back