RaTsberry Buffet ....What's cookin' ?....pg 9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm ~44.5°...and we rarely get any significant snow or deep freezes. However, I'm just a tad over an hour drive from the ski lifts :grin:.
Perfect. I just looked on the map. An hour from the ocean. An hour from the mountain skiing. It doesn't get much better than that. Now throw in a reasonable cost of living, and you've got it made. :nod:

Also...an hour from a 'big city', and around three hours from the desert. Surrounded by temperate rain forest and oak savanna. Practically paradise.

Politics, cost of living, and housing market bring it back to reality. The Willamette Valley often has one of the highest pollen counts in the world...and my tolerance for said pollens is less every year :wondering:.

I have problems with Florida pollens also. An old wives tale is too eat local honey to help combat this . Don't laugh but I think it helps ! Is it time to eat another peanut butter and honey sandwich ?

Last edited:
Also...an hour from a 'big city', and around three hours from the desert. Surrounded by temperate rain forest and oak savanna. Practically paradise.

Politics, cost of living, and housing market bring it back to reality. The Willamette Valley often has one of the highest pollen counts in the world...and my tolerance for said pollens is less every year :wondering:.
We have some pollen issues here as well. I did note that Eugene looked like it was about equidistant from you too. I was in Bend many years ago with college students on a Habitat for Humanity trip. Might be time for another trip out, I know my wife has never been to the Northwest.

I have problems with Florida pollens also. An old wives tale is too eat local honey to help combat this . Don't laugh but I think it helps ! Is it time to eat another peanut butter and honey sandwich ?
We have the same local legend here. Our neighbor two houses away, and one of my co-workers at the bike shop are both beekeepers. So we trade services / favors for honey frequently! Not sure how effective it is, but the honey sure tastes good!

If it was several years ago that you were in Bend...its a whole new unrecognizable place now. Hipster paradise mixed in with a large population of California retirees. My kids love it (Hipsters), my wife loves it...I tolerate it from a distance :grin:.

If it was several years ago that you were in Bend...its a whole new unrecognizable place now. Hipster paradise mixed in with a large population of California retirees. My kids love it (Hipsters), my wife loves it...I tolerate it from a distance :grin:.
It was starting the hipster vibe when I was there. Mid-'90s. There was a coffee shop downtown with overstuffed old furniture, a small music stage, that sort of thing. My hipster (before the term was coined) college students (and me, actually) hung out there; it reminded us of home. :wink1:

I had brought my mt bike strapped to the back of our 15 passenger van for some down time. Rode some cool trails along a river, low hills on the edge of town. One of the girls on that trip bought a used mt bike at a thrift store and joined me. I think she still has that bike!

What's a visit to Savannah, GA without meeting RRB royalty @Dr. Tankenstein and @kingfish254 and Queenfish for dinner?!

Southern hospitality at it's best!

received_435015954082263.jpeg

Just wanted to pass along this little tidbit, in case you weren't aware of it's availability.

I just watched "Tales of the Rat Fink", a movie like documentary about Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and his car culture, creative designs, Rat Fink character and many other weird monster models. It's a cool, in every sense of the word, commentary on the culture of the '50s and '60s.

You can watch it online if you click on this link:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/33824

It's $3.90 to watch, unless you have Vimeo as a part of a package, then it's free. I think I have it as a part of my Amazon Prime package. All you need is a wifi connection. No special cable required!

Anyway, I think our MBBO builds are very much like the custom cars of that era; shiny and wild!

Tales of the Rat Fink.jpg

Last edited:
I have it saved to watch tonight . When I hear that name I always
remember the days going to the drag strip in Gainesville and watching "Big Daddy" Don Garlits driving his swamp rat down the track at almost 300 MPH .

Just wanted to pass along this little tidbit, in case you weren't aware of it's availability.

I just watched "Tales of the Rat Fink", a movie like documentary about Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and his car culture, creative designs, Rat Fink character and many other weird monster models. It's a cool, in every sense of the word, commentary on the culture of the '50s and '60s.

You can watch it online if you click on this link:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/33824

It's $3.90 to watch, unless you have Vimeo as a part of a package, then it's free. I think I have it as a part of my Amazon Prime package. All you need is a wifi connection. No special cable required!

Anyway, I think our MBBO builds are very much like the custom cars of that era; shiny and wild!

View attachment 109658
Ed Roth has a traveling trade show type booth selling T-shirt’s and other collectibles. They (Ed’s son and others) come to the great New York State fair every year. I’ve picked up some decals and other trinkets from his booth over the years and speak with Ed’s son every year.

@OddJob just today I remembered - You are runnnig a double caliper brake on the rear wheel... How is the feeling with it? More stopping power than a single one? That thing got me thinking on some of my more street-oriented bikes, and bikes that would just look cool with caliper brakes... :39:

I didn't have much time to test it, we had snow 2 days later! And it's still snowing!

It feels solid. No extra power required to pull the dual lever. I would use one of these levers if you have one available.

I didn't have much time to test it, we had snow 2 days later! And it's still snowing!

It feels solid. No extra power required to pull the dual lever. I would use one of these levers if you have one available.

I wish we had snow for Christmas... :( It's only rain, rain, and... rain.

That idea is super cool, and I already know that one set of caliper brakes would not give the stopping power that I need.

Latest posts

Back