'65 Stingray Nominal Basic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen models cleared with that, it's a subtle finish over a solid colored surface. It's a micro fine pearl, not a flake. You would think being applied to round tubes would always have an angle of highlight to show it off. I found this not to be true, add your multi color base and it makes it worse.

I based my Varsity with white Ice Pearl over white. It never really shows, and Ice pearl is way bigger than the Effex you are spraying.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1980-varsity.109439/

I just reread your process for painting, you only applied 1 coat of the effex? If so, that is nowhere near enough.

Last edited:
Per Crash's comment, that makes sense to me now. There was a base coat with a heavy metal flake applied, and then a couple of clear coats over the top for the shine / light refraction.

Just found this using the search bar for 'metal flake'. A great example of a coppertone paint job with flake in it. Jude, maybe you want to contact @Dizzle Problems for some more info.

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/59-schwinn-strandie-3-speed.102275/#post-1088092

coppertone metal flake.jpeg

Thanks for your input here guys!

I agree the single coat sounds pretty lame. However, per a video I watched by duplicolor, they gave a part a dusting, then came back and hit it again, and that was it!

I put a dusting on the chain guard, then hit the frame: let it sit, the hit them both again.

I didn’t wait a full hour between the dusting and the top coat as there are guys all over YouTube who just spray this stuff and walk away and the part glows! Each part maybe got 15 minutes after the dusting.

I know. I’m impatient! But it rains here every 15 minutes!!! Lol.

I reached out to duplicolor for their advice. We’ll see if they respond.

If I need to double it up, no biggie, I probably will. If they tell me I need 3, 4 coats or more, it’s not the product they’re advertising. -and $14 for 7 ounces is just WAY too much. For me anyway!

Thanks again for your input here guys. The pearl ice sounds awesome. Maybe I’ll just slather that on top of the duplicolor!!!!
:headbang:

I've seen models cleared with that, it's a subtle finish over a solid colored surface. It's a micro fine pearl, not a flake. You would think being applied to round tubes would always have an angle of highlight to show it off. I found this not to be true, add your multi color base and it makes it worse.

I based my Varsity with white Ice Pearl over white. It never really shows, and Ice pearl is way bigger than the Effex you are spraying.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1980-varsity.109439/

I just reread your process for painting, you only applied 1 coat of the effex? If so, that is nowhere near enough.
BTW: your varsity is OVER THE TOP!

I don’t know if it’s the color combo or what, but I swear, that looks like the cleanest bike I have ever seen!!!!

I found a video that shows how the basecoats can affect the Effex. If you look at the solid color base, compared to the multicolor base, you will see what I've been saying. It shows well over the solid base and is barely visible over the multicolor base.

View attachment 107413If we ever get sun again, I’m going to try the hydrogen peroxide deal again; this time with the pro-hair care higher concentration stuff!

Sorry for digging this up from page two, but I can suggest a solution, where you don't need sunlight. I used it for the keyboard that I'm currently using on my PC an almost 30 year old Chicony. The keys were washed in the dishwasher (eyup it works! Just don't let you're wife/GF see it :21:)

For the body of the keyboard I used clean Hydrogen Peroxide that I got from a friend who is a chemistry student (aparently you can buy them in chemistry stores in Poland), sprayed it over, wrapped in one layer of clear stretch foil & put in a cardboard box that was all covered in aluminum foil from the inside and just put a UV light bulb before covering it - it works just as fine as with the sun.

I found a video that shows how the basecoats can affect the Effex. If you look at the solid color base, compared to the multicolor base, you will see what I've been saying. It shows well over the solid base and is barely visible over the multicolor base.

Good find: I had actually seen this video, but did not pay attention to the lighter, multicolored valve colors where the pearl is difficult to see vs. the black. All I saw was the black and was like - YEAH!

431FA027-E3F4-441A-9AA5-3E8FCF3B1218.jpeg
07197200-5CC3-4443-AADB-7B66C62C7681.jpeg
675305C4-E39C-49DB-A0D4-DF02EA80C4DC.jpeg
Scrubbed up the BB, bearings and some other misc’ pieces: not great but I guess better than what they were.

I soaked these parts for a few days in apple cider vinegar to soften the rust. I was hoping for a little better results, particularly on the BB, but I’ll work with this I guess.

***quick adder here; these pic’s are a bit misleading. After being degreased with the toothbrush I did hit the parts with a drill with wire wheel.

Last edited:
BTW: your varsity is OVER THE TOP!

I don’t know if it’s the color combo or what, but I swear, that looks like the cleanest bike I have ever seen!!!!
Thank you. It's all fresh paint and freshly de-rusted and polished chrome. Along with that is some new parts. I probably spent more on this bike than it's worth, but I'm enjoying it.

Have you tried the Mr Clean Magic Eraser or similar or similar products? They work pretty well with plastics are only mildly abrasive.
Thanks! Yeah, actually I think the super clean is a similar product to what you’re talking about RustyGold recommended I try.

I think it helped, but I think the peroxide UV deal has been the best. I’m going to try that as I think bleach n over the counter degreasers are maxed out on these puppies!!

B6761AB8-22A8-498E-BEDE-38B5FF47AA48.jpeg
I hit the front forks, crank and chain ring again. I’m still grinding off years of past paint jobs, overspray, grease and rust.

I was going to take the forks and get them chromed. It’s like $150. Unfortunately for the stingray nominal basic, I just got hit with a $1300 bill on my jalopy town and country!!! Lol

Spray paint will be JUST fine for the forks on this build thank you very much!!!:21:

E5FC4C54-E404-4B86-BCA9-519416D3AE37.jpeg
Ok, has anyone put together I have PTO to burn and I’m off today? Lol.

I was really torn on the wheels for this build. I really wanted an old S2 rear wheel (I think that’s what it is) but really did not want to spend that much money on the part.

I also really wanted black wheels for this bike too, but did not want to buy a schwinn wheel then strip any value off of it by painting it black!!!

My van situation has helped me decide!!!! I’m going with my $10 Craigslist wheels for this build. I’ll lay low on the schwinn wheels for now and be patient till I stumble across a deal.

The CL wheels need scrubbed up and some paint. I’ve hit them with degreaser and am letting Mother Nature wash them for now!!!! I’m conserving water!!! :rofl:

Those wheels look good.

Got any powdercoating shops near you? Although not as shiny as chrome, some powders are pretty close.

C0D83539-F9DE-4C14-9D62-946116A36F93.jpeg
Here’s rinse mode. Sort of looks like wash mode!!! Lol

I did scrub them well. They had some rusty spoke nipples so I cleaned those up.

As they were cheap, they’re pretty true and the spokes are all nice and snug.

Last edited:
Those wheels look good.

Got any powdercoating shops near you? Although not as shiny as chrome, some powders are pretty close.
Thanks PG!!

For cheap, the wheels are good. Not sure I’d want them if I was competing in the Xgames, but for bombing around my neighborhood, they should be great!!!

Good call on the powder coat! Unfortunately in Central New York my closet powder coat guy is like an hour away. (At least as of about a year ago) I’ll check again, but there’s not much convenient up here for powder coating.

I will look into. That’s a good idea.

I agree with my Sonoran Desert friend above ^ !
The patina scheme you have going here is cool, and will be part of your 'signature' on this build.

I like the black wheels too. Once you get the wheels in place on the frame, it might give you some ideas about the rest of the build.

Listen to the bike, and google the heck out of the internet for ideas!

Latest posts

Back