Post Your Final Thoughts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked first that my idea for a Streamliner would be welcome. I'm very aware it's not "rat" which is why I asked first. If it puts your mind at rest, I didn't get time to paint the frame so it is a little "ratty" under the skin :)
As for a a riding video using the pedals, I can do this without much bother. The video I posted was recorded for my own use to show the Mrs how fast it went under motor Power. She suggested posting it.

As far as final thoughts go,
I absolutely loved making my bike. I know for a fact that it would not be finished now if it wasn't for the completion. A deadline sure focuses the efforts!
I appreciated every one of the kind comments I got on my build thread. They really helped to spur me on. Thank you.

I really like this forum, the friendliness is what makes it. The forums in the UK are generally aimed at carbon road bikes or mountain bikes where the main subjects are comparing Strava times or posting helmet cam videos of bad driving. Not for me!

I checked first that my idea for a Streamliner would be welcome. I'm very aware it's not "rat" which is why I asked first. If it puts your mind at rest, I didn't get time to paint the frame so it is a little "ratty" under the skin :)
As for a a riding video using the pedals, I can do this without much bother. The video I posted was recorded for my own use to show the Mrs how fast it went under motor Power. She suggested posting it.

As far as final thoughts go,
I absolutely loved making my bike. I know for a fact that it would not be finished now if it wasn't for the completion. A deadline sure focuses the efforts!
I appreciated every one of the kind comments I got on my build thread. They really helped to spur me on. Thank you.

I really like this forum, the friendliness is what makes it. The forums in the UK are generally aimed at carbon road bikes or mountain bikes where the main subjects are comparing Strava times or posting helmet cam videos of bad driving. Not for me!
It’s in Class 2, “Anything Goes”, works for me. It’s really an impressive build, I think paint would detract from the great skill and workmanship shown. Love it!
Actually if you didn’t modify the frame it fits in Class 1, it just has a cosmetic skin added. I love it either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Catching up on this thread. In my opinion, it is a shame that it has become a bit of a gripe session thread.

One thing that I would like to clear up. There is no rule or guideline that ANY build on RRB has to be RATTY!!!! We have ALWAYS welcomed all styles and finishes!!! As a matter of fact one of the core forum rules is:
"9. No discussing the definition of the term "rat rod" or whether bikes meet "rat rod" criteria...trust us on this one...it goes nowhere."
NUFF SAID!!!

Forum Rules can be found here...... http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/forum-rules-read-these-first.79330/

sheep_riding_a_bike_print_close_up.jpg

There were some amazing rides this year.

However, I've talked to several builders and I wouldn't be doing my due diligence as a member if i didn't make few comments.

3. I'm a massive fan of the Olive Oil bike but that is not a Class 1 frame according to the rules. That is a bike that was factory and then heavily chopped and modified. Although the builder is not the one that did the frame work its yet another gray area to think about in the future. Honestly, i think Olive Oil would stand a serious chance of taking a top spot in the Class 2 comp as well.

Killer builds this year, its definitely one of the deepest build fields I have seen in recent years. The craftsmanship was off the charts. Congrats to everyone competing.

First off I want to clarify that I am in no way offended by anything you stated - and I'm really happy to hear you are a fan of the bike!

I understand where you're coming from with the "gray area" as I found myself in the same place at the beginning of the build-off.
I asked the mods and other builders at the beginning what class I should enter and was willing to adhere to whatever the decision.
It did not matter to me either way, as far as what class, other than I am not a welder with the ability to fabricate (but do hope to learn).
It was determined that it was no different than buying a Ruff Cycles frame, for example, and building it up.

Personally, I come here for the fun and camaraderie of it all. I have no interest or intention in "winning", especially if deemed my entry bends the rules of fair sportsmanship.

This is the last fun place left on the internet!

It’s in Class 2, “Anything Goes”, works for me. It’s really an impressive build, I think paint would detract from the great skill and workmanship shown. Love it!
Actually if you didn’t modify the frame it fits in Class 1, it just has a cosmetic skin added. I love it either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you.
I have modified the frame by adding various brackets, so I went for class 2.
However next year...........

...... Let's just say the rat rod custom has influenced me!

My Mrs keeps asking me to take my young daughters old bike down to the charity shop. For some reason I just can't. I keep looking at it...... "if I cut the frame there, welded some tube in at that point......."

Thank you.

My Mrs keeps asking me to take my young daughters old bike down to the charity shop. For some reason I just can't. I keep looking at it...... "if I cut the frame there, welded some tube in at that point......."
Please don't wait until next year.

There's a build section that goes year round! Just say'n :cool2:

Thank you.

There's talk of a 20 inch and smaller bike Build Off this fall/winter sometime.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We'll said, Mr Fish, there's a reason you're the King.
To clarify, I am in no way saying that anyone doesn't belong here. I'm brand new, who the heck am I to judge? We need to refocus on cool bikes, not rules and definitions! Roll on, fellow human-sized objects!

There's talk of a 20 inch and smaller bike Build Off this fall/winter sometime.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
My daughters bike is 24", but I'm sure I can find something suitable.
I already have a seed of an idea.... I can already hear the conversations I'll have about it "why have you done that? It makes no sense whatsoever!"
"that's why I've done it...."

It's taken me 2 and a half days to go through each of the Class 1 Build Journals. They are all great with a lot of spectacular ideas and individual visions and can now proudly say "I Voted". Best wishes and best of luck to all of you builders for such a great Build Off #14. Glad I could be a part of it.
Now on to studying and absorbing the Class 2 Build Journals...

My daughters bike is 24", but I'm sure I can find something suitable.
I already have a seed of an idea.... I can already hear the conversations I'll have about it "why have you done that? It makes no sense whatsoever!"
"that's why I've done it...."
I think they are planning a 20" and under category, and a second category for 'Muscle bikes'; all you have to do is meet 2 of the 3 requirements: rear tire bigger than the front, ape hanger handlebars, banana seat.

I'll be entering a pile of rust formerly known as a Sear Spyder 5 spd 24" wheeled muscle bike.

Catching up on this thread. In my opinion, it is a shame that it has become a bit of a gripe session thread.

One thing that I would like to clear up. There is no rule or guideline that ANY build on RRB has to be RATTY!!!! We have ALWAYS welcomed all styles and finishes!!! As a matter of fact one of the core forum rules is:
"9. No discussing the definition of the term "rat rod" or whether bikes meet "rat rod" criteria...trust us on this one...it goes nowhere."
NUFF SAID!!!

Forum Rules can be found here...... http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/forum-rules-read-these-first.79330/
Mic drop...

Well said.

I think most of us would agree that the inclusion of all kinds of customs makes for a more interesting site than some kind of fairly arbitrary and narrow criteria. You never know where you'll find something that inspires a new idea, either. For instance, I have no interest in muscle bikes, but I've seen some really cool stuff done with them on here that gets me thinking, then that leads to new ideas, maybe for something that has nothing to do with bikes, even. Plus, there's plenty of destruction and negativity in the world and I like seeing people creating things in a positive way whatever it may be. I'm not into dance, but my ex/best friend was into ballet and I ended up gaining a real appreciation for the art and it even inspired some sculptures. I first observed this when I was in school for industrial design. One of my roommates was this unbelievably talented and creative guy. Our styles were different, but seeing what he was doing pushed me further than I could have gone alone. I was especially amazed when he told me I did the same for him, but that's a big reason why artists go to galleries and authors usually read a lot—you never know when you'll come across a new technique, a better solution to a stubborn problem, or the muses will smack you with the nunchuck of inspiration for something that might be completely different than what you're looking at, listening to, etc.

Really building a satisfying (to you) bike is performance art. Transferring your vision into rusty steel or polished chrome is what we're doing. But I ride my builds because for me the bottom line is turning heads and making folks either laugh or wonder or both. I've never quite been able to wrap my head around a bike you can't ride. Much of the social and psychic mystery of a bike is found when your rolling on an open stretch of pavement. So Tom Slick's last win wasn't Crossing the Expanse, it's when he's riding with the Chicago Taildraggers or fielding questions about the build and the best thing is the bike is all his...

Merle.

Latest posts

Back