BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be curious to see if that Blackbird 'sings' when you ride the bike. I'm guessing there's something to the reason for it being a spoke - mounted wheel accessory.

For those that also might not know about this vintage, and rare, doo dad, here's what I know.

Norco whirly bird vintage.jpg

It's from the 1950's and made out of Bakelite. It is billed as a 'spoke whistle' , so I'm guessing this bird will sing! It has tiny holes in it for mounting between the spokes.
vintage-norco-whirl-away-bird-bicycle_1_6baff7a1e3de3dbb54977df485eb48c6.jpg

I picked this up at our local swap in June, and once TRM's build started taking shape, it seemed like the perfect doodad / Mojo !

Nice re-use of those Schwinny zig zags. I still haven't been able to score one of those on craigslist yet. They look great on those wheels. Can't wait to see them on Blackbird

Chain, chain, chain... Chain of fools!

I was blisfully listening to Aretha while working on the Blackbird this afternoon when in a cruel ironic moment as she was belting out 'Chain Of Fools', I discovered that the chain is too short.:mad: That's something that I had taken for granted until now. It would have been long enough with normal tires, but that fat 3" Aerovane tire won't allow the rear wheel to be adjusted all of the way forward which is what is needed to get the chain together.:headbang:
IMG_1346.JPG

Unfortunately you can't just run down to the sporting goods store and pick up a skip tooth chain. I looked through boxes of parts hoping to find at least part of a chain (I only need one link) but found nothing. Luckily I had bought this old Road Master at an estate sale for cheap about a month or two ago and it just so happens to have a chain one link longer than my short chain!:whew:
IMG_1347.JPG

The bad part is that it is in pretty bad shape and I wasted time earlier this week rehabbing the first chain. Anyway it's off the bike and is soaking in PB Blaster right now. I'll let it soak overnight and try to carefully revive it tomorrow. There's still plenty to do while it soaks.

While the relief chain is marinating in PB Blaster I spent the evening wiring up the headlights. The batteries that I had were dead so I'll have to get a couple in the morning before I can install the tank on the bike.

IMG_1350.JPG

If this chain will just last long enough to make the bike rideable as per the rules, I'll replace it later with a better one when I can. Sometimes they will suprise you though once they are cleaned up good.
IMG_1349.JPG

Last edited:
Blaster is good stuff. Should do the trick. May want to take it out and work it then soak some more.

Tires look sweet on them shiny black rims. Love the pinstripes too.

Getting to feel the excitement of finishing near the end this year for the first time.

Looks like you're going to be busy...you got it though....looking good.

Instead of cleaning the whole chain why not clean the one link you need?
:21: This too funny with the "Chain of fools" song. I had a similar epiphany the other day(half link 4 links too short). No cool soundtrack in my case though, just my agonizing screams.

Instead of cleaning the whole chain why not clean the one link you need?

I tried to come up with some intelligent sounding reason but I couldn't.:21:
I have to plead insanity. In my panic when the thought entered my mind that I might not be able to finish without a chain I found that one and decided that was the best idea so that I could continue working on all of the other unfinished items on the list.

Thanks for the slap in the face to bring me back to clarity! I now have one link added to my existing chain.:)

I have a new problem to resolve. After installing the longer chain it made an aweful grinding noise when I tried spinning it on the stand. Turns out I had overlooked notching the fender for the chain line.:doh:
IMG_1351.JPG

This will have to wait until tomorrow after church as I'm about to leave for a jazz gig this evening. Playing music will be good to clear my mind of bike building for a few hours.:)

I have a new problem to resolve. After installing the longer chain it made an aweful grinding noise when I tried spinning it on the stand. Turns out I had overlooked notching the fender for the chain line.:doh:
View attachment 103846

This will have to wait until tomorrow after church as I'm about to leave for a jazz gig this evening. Playing music will be good to clear my mind of bike building for a few hours.:)

The same thing happened to me too. I discovered that fact on my shakedown ride, lol.
Sure turned some heads when they heard me coming though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A brawny beefy beauty....We gonna see some red stripes on the tank? Fauxtina to match the frame? Both? None?.....tune in next time for.....:D

Still wondering what the heck this is for.....:39:

index.php

Latest posts

Back