Trans-MIG-RaT...RidE ViDeo ! Pg 15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha! I was using hipster language, Glen. You know, young people? :bigsmile:

I have a millenial working on it for me. My soon-to-be step grand girl's husband, who works as a welder for a custom design firm.

And if you understand what I just said, please tell me, because I'm a little foggy. :D

o_O

:39:

:shake:

Lexan? You lost me, my thespian bike builder.
Polycarbonate, space suit helmet vision shield. Tough stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the no tank side of the fence. IMO it looks a lot more classy without.
^ This! Show off the custom frame more rather than hiding it with a tank.

Loving the new shifter height!

I agree with the 'tanks, but no tanks' voters in that it does dominate the look of the bike. That space between the bars is just begging for something though!

Picked up a funky piece at one of our annual Lion's Club city wide garage sales yesterday. Couple of pieces actually. I might fiddle with those today and do a couple of different mock ups.

Day off, sun's out. RaT oN~!

Holy cow you are a busy bee with the fiddling and posting! I've put more work into getting caught up with your thread than I have in my build....:21:

Like it better sans tank but it suits your style. Very Oddjobby/OJesque. Like the tank better without the flames too. Maybe something more antiquey? But like TRM said. Do what you like it's your bike...:thumbsup:

Holy cow you are a busy bee with the fiddling and posting! I've put more work into getting caught up with your thread than I have in my build....:21:

Like it better sans tank but it suits your style. Very Oddjobby/OJesque. Like the tank better without the flames too. Maybe something more antiquey? But like TRM said. Do what you like it's your bike...:thumbsup:
Haha! Yeah, well, now that I'm down to 20 hrs a week on the work schedule, I have more time to 'fiddle and post' ! :21:

It's funny that you say it 'suits your style'. We all have a certain bend towards a style don't we? I'd be curious to hear what cues you to say " Ah, yeah, that's OddJobby / OJesque for sure". :wink1:

Here's the spoke length calculator I used for building my wheel. It requires a lot of measuring of the hub and rim, so I'd wait until you have those in hand before you get your spokes.

https://bikeschool.com/index.php/resources/spoke-calculator

Thanks for the time you put in on my thread, Chad. Now, as our friend Jake would say.... GTB! :bigsmile:

I have an extra chrome plug, 1" left-over from my Huffy Tandem build. Might plug off your stump in fashion?
Your's if you can use it.
Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.09.45 AM.png

Tandem4.jpg

Killer build you have going on bud! You are almost finished and no one on the Cabe is gonna be able to identify where this model when it shows up 10 years from now. Excellent work on the frame reverse transjennerfication. The tank panel area reminds me of the scale of a cycle truck. Have you thought an advertising panel?

"Saturn Chili Company,,,,,,,,,next stop,,,,Uranus" *** :D

Shifter is perfection too!!!

*** I reserve rights to this particular business slogan for possible future cycle truck build some day in the far future. :)

Killer build you have going on bud! You are almost finished and no one on the Cabe is gonna be able to identify where this model when it shows up 10 years from now. Excellent work on the frame reverse transjennerfication. The tank panel area reminds me of the scale of a cycle truck. Have you thought an advertising panel?

"Saturn Chili Company,,,,,,,,,next stop,,,,Uranus" *** :D

Shifter is perfection too!!!

*** I reserve rights to this particular business slogan for possible future cycle truck build some day in the far future. :)
Haha! Yeah, I really want to put something in that spot. Had thought of advertising, real or imagined. Have another idea percolating over the next few days. We'll see what that looks like.

Thanks for the kudos, much respect to the "king" of rat rod bikes!

Friday Fiddling report from the BACK40. I've been dying to see what the frame would look like if it was all the same color. So I grabbed an original fender and dragged it down to Ace. Bill was there, a regular employee whom I've encountered many times over the past 18 yrs.

Bill is prob a good 10 yrs older than me, and still puts in a full week. It's his 'retirement job', and I guess he likes it because he's there all the time.

Anyway, he mixed up a 15 oz (443 ml.) sample can of Valspar paint in Blue Nuthatch. I'm guessing that when the girl who owned this bike originally got her dad to hand paint over the bright green color it came with, they picked out a Robin's Egg Blue, so I figured I'd stick with the bird theme.

Last night after dinner, I meandered out to the shed and bobbed a stainless steel fender I had picked up a couple years ago. I fit the fender, and then used a 600 grit paper to take down the shine of the stainless.

Here are a few photos from the BACK40 deck from Friday Fiddling on MIG-RaT.
20190510_140254.jpg

20190510_140404.jpg

20190510_140427.jpg

20190510_140526.jpg

20190510_140603.jpg

Now that I see it with some paint on, I do think it looks better without the wood.

....I'd be curious to hear what cues you to say " Ah, yeah, that's OddJobby / OJesque for sure". :wink1:

What makes it OddJobby / OJesque to me is the burnt wood.

Now... on to how I would fill that space if it were mine. To me it looks quite hot rod-like, therefore, I'd add a piece of louvred metal...
OddJob_Louvre.jpg

One on each side... but that's just what I'd do :rolleyes:

If you think wood's good, then use it you should. :nod:

Glen.

Latest posts

Back