Trans-MIG-RaT...RidE ViDeo ! Pg 15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work on the wheel, that 4 speed is a realy rare thing, when I mentiond it in my shop it was like listening to grandpas bed time story - "A friend, of mine, who had a friend, who's cousin worked at a shop once saw a bike with that hub..."

Ha ha ha...

"...heard other stories about it too. Some folk say there's a whole family of them living out there in the woods. Some say they've heard strange sounds while huntin'. Never heard of anyone seeing one though. But they're out there alright... watching, planning."

"Oh I seen one... at least a photo of one. Some feller, goes by the name of 'OJ', caught one and's trying to tame it. Gonna use some kinda stick to keep in under control I reckon."

I tend to use 3 different spoke calcs to make sure...this is after I'd twice ordered the wrong sized spokes :( I've been able to use them since for other wheels but sooo frustrating at the time. The last few sets of wheel builds I've been using harvested spokes - it's nice not to have to wait for shipping, and I've had no breakages so far.

Thanks for the tip on the tires - I had a look online & quite like the other 2.5" style by sunlite called revolutions, with a diamond tread. I'll be in DC for my sisters wedding in 3 weeks time... tires are on my Things To Buy From USofA list.

This is gonna ride great with that 4 speed coaster hub!!

Ha ha ha...

"...heard other stories about it too. Some folk say there's a whole family of them living out there in the woods. Some say they've heard strange sounds while huntin'. Never heard of anyone seeing one though. But they're out there alright... watching, planning."

"Oh I seen one... at least a photo of one. Some feller, goes by the name of 'OJ', caught one and's trying to tame it. Gonna use some kinda stick to keep in under control I reckon."
:21::21::21:

NoW thAT's fuNnY~!

I tend to use 3 different spoke calcs to make sure...this is after I'd twice ordered the wrong sized spokes :( I've been able to use them since for other wheels but sooo frustrating at the time. The last few sets of wheel builds I've been using harvested spokes - it's nice not to have to wait for shipping, and I've had no breakages so far.

Thanks for the tip on the tires - I had a look online & quite like the other 2.5" style by sunlite called revolutions, with a diamond tread. I'll be in DC for my sisters wedding in 3 weeks time... tires are on my Things To Buy From USofA list.

This is gonna ride great with that 4 speed coaster hub!!
Thanks Dave! Yes, those Revolutions have been popular with some of the other builders on this forum as well. Very similar tire in ride and feel.

I'm working on the shifter the next couple of days. Excited to get in my first ride with it!

I know you have a plan for the stub but...
Too bad you don't have a bar with the same curve as the top bar. Flipping the curve back up from the stub towards the seat would be pretty cool.
Also, I use the Sapim spoke calculator and have never missed.

Carl.

Somebody throw some tacks on the road! Slow this dude down!!!!!:21:
Hamp, I'm notorious for finishing my builds within the first month. I just get so pumped and as soon as an idea comes to me, I act on it!

My mind has been percolating on this build for a few months. I started collecting parts and ideas back in January.

Hamp, I'm notorious for finishing my builds within the first month. I just get so pumped and as soon as an idea comes to me, I act on it!

My mind has been percolating on this build for a few months. I started collecting parts and ideas back in January.
Same thing here but more so I don't forget my idea :21:

Thanks Dave! Yes, those Revolutions have been popular with some of the other builders on this forum as well. Very similar tire in ride and feel.

I'm working on the shifter the next couple of days. Excited to get in my first ride with it!
The Revolution tires will measure out at a full 2.5” or better. I tried a pair but ended up using the Sandy Beach ones for me they measured out at around 2.3”. So if clearance is an issue the SB’s may work better. I’ve used them on two prewar bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Revolution tires will measure out at a full 2.5” or better. I tried a pair but ended up using the Sandy Beach ones for me they measured out at around 2.3”. So if clearance is an issue the SB’s may work better. I’ve used them on two prewar bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If either of them will clear the forks you will be using you can always widen the chain and seat stays without to much of a problem as I have found on a couple build I have done in the past. If you need some ideas I could show you what I did before.

Ah yes, offset spoke holes will throw out the whole measurement! I forgot about that!
My reused spokes from the original hub ended up being just about right on. I cut them at 250 mm, and the calculator (with a little bit of approximating on my part) came out to 249.9 mm. The main problem is that lightweight, single walled aluminum rim, started to bend slightly even with the smallest amount of tension. So the opposite sides of the first laced were starting to bend out slightly.

I incorporated my third hand tool to get it done; my wife! :grin:

Wow, I get busy with home stuff for a few days and look back and see 4pages. You are flying along. I understand 30day attention span. So many things to remember, sometimes speed is warranted. Loving the frame mods so far.

Like You, i jazz playing softly in the background too from time to time., If the volume goes up, then something with that driving beat is usually on... Rock, Funk, Blues then Hard Rock or Metal when the volume is cranked

Will be cool to see what is next

The wood tank is great. I might suggest flames from right to left like you are going really fast.

Shifter is great, clutzy me, I'd worry about my knee shifting on its own while riding. You can probably manage it there fine.

We coooled down to the 70s this week. Hope warmer weather comes thru in the coming days to warm it up out there soon.

Latest posts

Back