Schwinn Racer Wheel Options

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked a 62 Racer that is complete minus the wheels. It looks to have everything necessary to route brake cables, etc but I'd prefer to run it as a coaster or even better a 2 speed kickback. I'm having an issue tracking down wheels for it though as these are narrow 26" rims. Any leads/suggestions? I'm open to any wheels I can get in there, new or used.

From the 62 catalog:
1962-racer.jpg

So, it's either a 24" or 26" bike. You need to keep skinny wheels and tires unless you modify the frame. Schwinn used slightly different size wheels tires, so make sure your replacements are the same. Or change them with standard 26 x 1 3/8 ths wheels and tires.
You could use 26 x 1.50 rims and 1.50 tires, much more selection of good tires, but it would be a close fit and the brakes wouldn't reach the rim, so you would use a coaster brake as you wanted.

In some cases 700c wheels will fit as well. I did that on my wife’s collegiate that was originally 26 x 1 3/8. With them I was able to use caliper brakes

700c wheels work great on the 26x1 3/8 Schwinns.

gw6.jpg

Makes for a great fit for rims brakes. You can use normal reach calipers.

brakes7.jpg

I put 700c wheels on my 59 Traveler (basically the same thing as a Racer) but was only able to fit a 32mm tire under the fender. 35's were just too big.

Latest posts

Back