Trans-MIG-RaT...RidE ViDeo ! Pg 15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score

Definition of transmigrate

transitive verb
: to cause to go from one state of existence to another

intransitive verb
1. of the soul : to pass at death from one body or being to another
2: Trans-MIG-RaT; to transfer tubes from one frame to another,
using a MIG welder and cut-off tools. To RaT-ify and regene-RaT-e; to RaT oN~!

A couple winters ago, I was riding my WBO (Winter Build Off) build "Mesa Buggie Wuggie" in the rocky desert terrain of Mesa, Arizona, and for some dumb reason, I decided to take it off a 'sweet jump'. The combination of my 225 lb frame and that 1951 Schwinn DX frame, resulted in catastrophe. The jump was fine; it was the landing that hurt.

I survived intact, but the rear stays at the drop out snapped like a fresh carrot right out of the garden. So this winter, after transferring the moving parts to another build bike, "Desert Sky", I decided to try out my new angle grinder on that old Schwinn frame. Cutting it down to a better size for packing in the vehicle to make the trip back to God's Country.

Last year at our annual Fall swap meet at Pioneer Cycle in the northwest corner of the Twin Cities metro, I made an eleventh hour decision on a ladies Hiawatha that I got for 1/3 the asking price, mainly because I liked the springer fork on it. And, after having used an old Spaceliner ladies frame and a TRM tank on my 'One-liner' build in BO #11, I knew the possibilities that it might hold for the future.

We've had a slow Spring here in the northland. We have had some decent days, but not a stretch of 'average' temps that would indicate a major swing in the forecast. Thus, I have spent many of my hours in the past three weeks 'dinging around' in the BACK40 bike shed, cleaning out, moving out, and finding out parts possibilities for my RRB Build Off #14 summer build. The main theme of my build this year is the 'transmigration' of one frame to another. Beyond that, I am counting on the flow and flux of interpretation and ingenuity to transfer onto the metal, resulting in the Trans-MIG-RaT!

Here's what I'm starting with:

The original Mesa Buggie Wuggie, before it 'snapped'.....
20170112_120406.jpg

The Buggie Wuggie Schwinn DX frame, after the cutting....

53229642_836364040048513_5058967945607118848_n.jpg

Meet one of my new best friends. He's a real 'cut up'....

53489132_312841806084849_8237937764117512192_n.jpg

And some of my POP (pile of parts) that I am considering for this build.

pop3.jpg

pop2.jpg

Hope to have time later this afternoon to throw on a few things and see what fits. Stay tuned, and....RaT oN~!

Last edited:
I work the 'late shift' at the bike shop this evening, so thought I would get a quick mock up of the bike as she sits at the moment.

The temps are in the low 40's outside, so the Mr Heater propane tank is roaring in the BACK40...
58713259_2318493855099217_5979306650329153536_n (1).jpg

These 57 mm rims are my first set, and so far I really like the way the tires mount / look on these rims. Picked up the rims from a fellow RRB member, Scotty, who owns a cruiser bike shop in Mesa. The tires I had on my BO12 build, "Old Manse Hawthorne", they are the Sunlite Beach tire. Really like the brick pattern and the ride quality of these.

58800447_351489108901761_3997930819552280576_n.jpg

58842407_451191459020089_6753993268763033600_n.jpg

Here's my initial mock up on the Hiawatha ladies frame with original springer fork. The other parts are first ideas at this point. Have a custom laid back post from Chad @Chopshopcustomz coming, it will kick the saddle back for a better position; and hopefully higher 'cool factor'.

Starting pic.jpg
56706190_268413774045089_1175192146987188224_n.jpg
Pic 2 frame.jpg

The weather is supposed to take a turn for the better in the next couple days. I have a date with my welder friend this Sunday afternoon; so I've got to get some cutting done before then. :nerd:

Cool purple wheels. ;-)

I have also broken an old frame on a jump. We build these old frames into bombers and ride them like BMXers.

Looking forward to see where you go here.
I got the wheels cheap. They came on a girl's bike, and the girl didn't like purple. Seemed no one else did for the 4 months they sat in his shop until I arrived. Gave me the 'jazz star discount'.

They won't stay purple for long....

Alrighty then! I've got today and tomorrow off, so I'll be doing some cutting and cleaning of the Hiawatha frame, and cutting up the Schwinn DX to prepare for my scheduled welding session at my friend Matt's house on Sunday!

It's a little cool and damp this morning, so I'm inside the BACK40 doing a few preliminary cuts on the Hiawatha. Sun is supposed to come out this afternoon, and I want to do most of the cutting and grinding out on the porch of the BACK40.

Here's what I got accomplished during this morning's session...

Before any cutting...
Pic 3 close up frame.jpg

Cut #1 and 2. I'm cutting off the upper tube of the double down tube ladies frame. I'm going to leave the connecting stub for right now. Have an idea how I might incorporate that later...

Pic 4 first cut.jpg

Head tube shot...

Pic 5 Head tube.jpg

Notice anything missing?

Pic 6 Missing tube.jpg

That's all for now. The sun is already starting to break through. Should be 50 and perfect for cutting and grinding in a couple hours!

Hey OJ! Looking like a good plan....as others have said the rims are cool. That springer looks good without the struts but might be iffy riding like that? Does 225 make you a "clydesdale"?..not making fun I know you're all muscle...:thumbsup:....just heard that term and wondered if there are certain criteria.

I think the fork would look cool with the paint/ratina on the main legs with some chrome struts out front. Does look clean as is though. Look forward to seeing what you got cooking with the frame.

Hey OJ! Looking like a good plan....as others have said the rims are cool. That springer looks good without the struts but might be iffy riding like that? Does 225 make you a "clydesdale"?..not making fun I know you're all muscle...:thumbsup:....just heard that term and wondered if there are certain criteria.

I think the fork would look cool with the paint/ratina on the main legs with some chrome struts out front. Does look clean as is though. Look forward to seeing what you got cooking with the frame.
Haha! Yes, I do qualify as a "clydesdale" for mountain bike races. Although these days, I'm more like a draft horse that's been put out to pasture! :bigsmile: In my prime, I was racing at 190-95 lbs, but that was when my metabolism was still in play and I was training and racing hard six months out of the year. My last 5 years of racing , 1996-2000, I qualified for the 'big boys' class but still raced in the 40-45 age group class at the expert level.

Anyway....you are very astute on the fork observation! :41:
Yes, it needs struts, and I am going to employ a method I used previously on a build off build to 'manufacture' the struts for this fork on MIG-RaT. :wink1:

The rims are getting kudos, and I will probably leave them till the very end before I make a decision. I really dig the patina on the current frame, although it is a 'paint over' from years ago; as there are green patches showing under the scratches and attachment points. So it's not really original. Will have to take a look once Sunday comes around, and my new tubes are welded in! Can't wait! :inlove:

Making good use of a sunny and high 50's day here in the northland. Already got the MIG-RaT on the front porch of the BACK40 and grinding and shaping the old tube welds and prepping for the new ones for Sunday funday at the welder shop!

pic 8 grinding shaping.jpg

Pic 9 cleaning up welds.jpg
Pic 10 frame clean.jpg

Hat and gloves already off. In for a mid-morning breakfast now, and then back out into the sunshine to start hacking away on the '51 Schwinn frame.

An entire day of sunshine in the BACK40; now that's a rarity for this Spring so far! Close to 60 today and 70 in the forecast for tomorrow. Bring it on. :nod:

Major steps towards the frame design this afternoon. I put what was left of the Schwinn DX frame in the stand, and cut out the top tube and the straight bar.

Then I positioned them in the MIG-RaT to get a first look.
Very happy with the result. Looking forward to 'welder up' on Sunday.

Pic 7 cutting mens frame.jpg
Pic 8 mens frame cut.jpg

And the first mock up shot at 'Picture Rock' outside the back door.....

Pic 11 mock up picture rock.jpg

RaT oN~!

Latest posts

Back