Rust in Space

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rust in Space, the rat rod version of Lost in Space. I have been lost trying to figure out a theme or even a name for this bike, a rusty, crusty late '60's Sears Spaceliner. I have run the gamut of ideas from a retro-futuristic Jetson's-like theme to rust bucket '60's muscle cars. Still don't know where this one is going so I decided to just dive in and let the bike tell me how it wants me to build it.

This is what I brought home awhile back...
IMG_20190321_181204.jpg

The rims are pretty much shot. I knew that going in. Then I found the springer was broke after I got the bike home. The original handle bars are bent and the seat's kinda nasty. So here's the bike today after some fiddling around with some parts off an '80's Huffy Good Vibrations and some quality time with some 0000 steel wool...
IMG_20190501_183952.jpg

IMG_20190501_184533.jpg

IMG_20190501_184015(1).jpg

Looks like most of the chrome is gonna shine up nicely, with just the right amount of rust to keep it ratty. Got a pair of 26x2.0 tires off my Electra I think I will use so I can get the fenders back on, but those ratty whitewalls are very tempting.

So it's a Murray built bike with some old Huffy parts. Perhaps it's a Hurray? Murray and Huffy were both originally from Ohio, like me. Maybe there's an angle. Hurray for Ohio? LOL

By 'springer is broke' what do you mean exactly? That is such a cool fork, might be worth a fix if someone can offer suggestions.

I like the 'space' theme. See if you can get a Spacely Space Sprocket for the front, or at least a Cogswell Cosmic Cog for the rear.:rolleyes:

By 'springer is broke' what do you mean exactly? That is such a cool fork, might be worth a fix if someone can offer suggestions.

I like the 'space' theme. See if you can get a Spacely Space Sprocket for the front, or at least a Cogswell Cosmic Cog for the rear.:rolleyes:
The metal broke where the spring attached to the yoke that holds the truss. Guitarl bought it to try and fix.
As for the Spacely Sprockets idea, I had thought about a decal that said, "This chain runs on genuine Spacely Sprockets." Might still do that.
8e0955d56085a73e4d2e7329d374cedd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Had to take the car in for an oil change yesterday and do a few hours of remote work after I got home. So no build off joy yesterday.

Today after work I got the bike stripped down to a bare frame and tinkered with the rear rack. The rack is bent, like someone rode on it. Naw, that would never happen. LOL Could also explain how the bracket underneath it that attaches to the rear fender is also bent. Thinking I might get rid of the sheet metal and make a wooden replacement that attaches to the original bars. Probably paint the bars as there's not much chrome left on them.

Tomorrow will be grass mowing day. I think I'll try some paint stripper on the frame in the morning while the grass is wet. See if I can get the old clear coat off and then see if there's any more good chrome hiding under the rust.
e92c596c3a7cd57d9382252471f0f60c.jpg

Got most of the grass cut and some of the weed whacking done and HAD to go play with my project! LOL

I had slathered on the paint stripper and let it soak in while I did some yard work. Every so often I would work at with a brass wire wheel in my drill. Man, that old clear coat is tough!
I applied more stripper several times throughout the day and still have some clear coat on frame in places, but I think I have most of it off now. And unfortunately, a lot of cool rust went away too.

Anyway, now to figure a new clear coat. Gloss to keep the chrome bright will also make the rust shiney too. Hmmmm.....

426862e6d5f45941285e594ee43122b0.jpg
d91b432f50911f76897d71706f8a6f58.jpg
603f56191106c9ad196c53ad46319d6e.jpg

Finished the mowing tonight, but spent a few more minutes with the drill before going back in the house.
Finding all the nice chrome has been a big surprise. Kind of glad I decided to let the bike tell me how to go.
Here is the chain guard when I got the bike and how it looks now.

Thinking I might go more resto-mod. Or more like ratty rusto-mod than full blown rat.
Who knows.
Oldest son graduates from college out in western NC later this week so will be out of town a few days so not much build off getting done this week.
2fe4de7cb91949011a4090ca21acc701.jpg
b5ef316484c656998d5bce36e897e9de.jpg

Had a chance to play briefly after work. Applied a little WD-40 and my drill to the fenders. Looks like there's some clear coat on them too, but they shined up nice. Except for the reflector housing. I don't think the chrome is still there anymore. [emoji16]
44c86106a289b403dbb00d3f53dae139.jpg

Looking good! I built my first rat out of a spacliner! Such cool, funky frames. Can't wait to see how it develops!

Btw, if you don't use the rocker plates/bolts from the broken fork, I'd be interested in them. Thanks!

You are getting a good result from your 'elbow grease'! And just enough rust left on the tops of tubes, reflector housing, to give it that "I've been around for 50 yrs" look.

Maybe some futuristic but throw back style red / clay colored tires?
They always look good on these silver / chrome frames. Also, check with @ifitsfreeitsforme , Ian has some cool vintage look grips and pedals and seats in matching colors. Thompson.

RaT oN~!

Looking good! I built my first rat out of a spacliner! Such cool, funky frames. Can't wait to see how it develops!

Btw, if you don't use the rocker plates/bolts from the broken fork, I'd be interested in them. Thanks!
Thanks. I can't wait either.
Sorry, fork has been sold already.

You are getting a good result from your 'elbow grease'! And just enough rust left on the tops of tubes, reflector housing, to give it that "I've been around for 50 yrs" look.

Maybe some futuristic but throw back style red / clay colored tires?
They always look good on these silver / chrome frames. Also, check with @ifitsfreeitsforme , Ian has some cool vintage look grips and pedals and seats in matching colors. Thompson.

RaT oN~!
Thanks OJ. I have thought about using a lot of red, but since so many have used red with these bikes, I'm kinda wanting to use a different accent color. Haven't quite figured out what that other color will be though. [emoji16]

Latest posts

Back