Muscle Spasm C2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday night...
24d1a5bb8e70fc1dfc4d456fd1f8162f.jpg
0e097de2ec6b1794b9dc6e524395047a.jpg

Sent from the backseat of a crowded clown car

An edit from today's pictures. It's hard to really imagine the stance of this build after the kickstand went on because it kicks it up in the air so high. It's not perfect, the vantage point is too high, but it's at least a visual reference. I've also pulled off the front bars but they'll probably go back on. Toro!

Level 2.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
Glad you got your truck back!

You reminded me of some classic Aussie rock...

Yah! Me too.
Hmm, pretty cool song. I liked it, a mix of lots of styles. The ending wasn't what I expected either.
I may check out some more Cold Chisel...

Carl.

Ha, my garage is stuffed with projects. Tonight I started on the cranks and I got the second turnbuckle on the steering chain. So now I can set everything straight or I can preload it for circle track racing...o_O

3591c7c3303fb10e645465e32405c707.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
My chain line ain't so bad. If you look where my finger is you'll notice an offset in the dropouts. OCC stock offset had the flat side on the inside, but I swapped sided left for right to gain 3/4 of an inch. There's just an edge I'll need to grind flat and with a roller pulling the chain down I could probably skip that but I'm going to anyway to be sure. The bottom line needs a roller too. I think I'm going to bring it up and over the chain stay to clear the kickstand. There's chain from two bikes plus a foot all used. New chain later but it's good for the mock-up/test.
bb8493fe810fe07a01aab242ad1ed7c9.jpg
cf4f4e539b583a7f7559a6dae173f580.jpg

Last edited:
That is a long chain!
Yes Sir! I nicked the chains off two old road bikes and still had to add about a foot, and it's not fine tuned yet.
I like your proposed double chain guide idea Carl. You want the build to be 'off the chain'; not the chain off the build. :grin:
Plus it's a dérailleur shift so the chain needs some "swing" to it. Should make the positioning of the lower roller dicey. My Harlequin build had a long chain too, and I'll be using the roller system I devised for that build again. Nylon rollers with flanges and brass bushings on modified U bolts, are able to mount on the frame tubes and can be moved around to get the optimum positions. All made with hardware store parts.
KIMG0485.JPG

one of Harlequin's rollers (it also has two)​
Carl.

It's cold out today 14°f... My garage isn't heated so I could only stay out there for so long. My feet were freezing just standing on the concrete. I quickly fabbed up a couple plates that will hold the thru axle skewer in place. This wheel was made for a bike with holes instead of dropouts. So these plates will be welded in place when the optimum place is figured. I used a 15/32 bit and just barely had to polish the holes to fit the 12mm skewer ( I used a superfine rattail) Then I had to figure out how to mount a derailleur. The neon green one in the last few groups of pictures is an axle mount. So I dug deep and found this Suntour piece. (I may have a better unit on a Nishiki in my other garage. We'll see.) I put a notch to allow for set screw adjustment, but at this point I can rotate the whole plate to get it roughed in before I tack it. The other side will be fun it's bigger to allow mounting the brake caliper... Less than two weeks left. Keep fabbing.
2fd0744b5a27abf968c065634db2309e.jpg
5aa6ff3f1ce8d600c1b9ee559806df56.jpg
fd39d0f841c01e586da4e35312f838b6.jpg

Brrr! I was out there maybe 5 minutes. Got the plate mounted and the junk chain laced thru the derailleur. Made some small adjustments to the throw and it looks like it'll have no problem reaching 1 and 7. It's gonna crank on that little 11 tooth cog. That's imperative on a bike called Muscle Spasm. (I may yet go bigger on the front sprocket...) I also added a shot of the brake side plate...
18bdd9d0f1801b38f0ab4c10ca1126dd.jpg
53ddf7f7057a479627ca4989c13e0f5a.jpg

Look at the drop out peeking behind the plate. Just a little smaller than the 12mm skewer. I had to egg out a bit of the back of the dropout, enough for a bit of play. The plates have the 12mm holes so I'll be able to line up my wheel relatively straight before I tack it. There's also plenty of metal to attach the caliper to and I can move it around till I find the best position.
608ebd95fee8ecd72e59025d9b549162.jpg

Front wheel on a separate table. Tools and bike on a 4 ft work table.
Oh look... The Wild One hanging out too.

Carl

Last edited:
Coming along nicely no way could I take that cold I freeze in the 30's.
Well my garage is attached so even though it's not heated I can still duck back in the house every so often. It's also all brick so it's not drafty, just cold. I did dig up a space heater today to just warm the toes while I worked on The Wild One. Keeping my feet warm makes a big difference...

Latest posts

Back