Yellow and blue band hub remakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So, I just had the opportunity to see these in person. Apparently it was announced yesterday. A company named Eagle is making yellow and blue band two speed kick back hubs. I spoke with the maker and they said all parts are interchangeable with og Bendix.

8FCFEDF8-E099-412E-B25D-ECAA88A42320.jpeg

Pretty interesting. They also had a single speed coaster hub that takes a thread on track style cog with lock ring.
I’ll try to get more info/pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
That is interesting. I do prefer the red band hubs though, I find the braking to be far superior to the yellow/blue.

The coaster hub with removable lock ring is smart. If it's really durable and has solid braking I know a lot of mountain bike guys that would like it.

Please keep this thread updated!

That is interesting. I do prefer the red band hubs though, I find the braking to be far superior to the yellow/blue.

The coaster hub with removable lock ring is smart. If it's really durable and has solid braking I know a lot of mountain bike guys that would like it.

Please keep this thread updated!
Yea, the single speed hub is really slick. They only had one on display. It’s not ready for production yet, but they brought the one to showcase how the cog interface will be.

On the two speeds. Those pictured are only samples. The final product will actually be stamped Bendix. I had the opportunity to look at all the bits and they look very well made.
They are currently not for sale and have yet to come off a full production.

However, I am very fortunate, and was able to buy one of the samples pictured! It is the very first one in the wild! I spoke with the president of the company and I will be testing it and reporting back to him! Super stoked for the opportunity to do this.

I will get more pictures up here ASAP.

American company? Is the price you bought it for going to be the public price? Under $100?

I've been looking at the SA kickback, but would sure rather have a yellow band hub. The others, KT? would probably be Chinese like the one speeds they make.

American company? Is the price you bought it for going to be the public price? Under $100?

I've been looking at the SA kickback, but would sure rather have a yellow band hub. The others, KT? would probably be Chinese like the one speeds they make.
They are made in India.
The price I paid is not what it will retail for. I’m not positive on what they will cost when released.

The SA’s are made in Taiwan. Not sure on the KT’s.

Definitely keep us posted!

What a coincidence… just yesterday I emailed a bloke in India from Eagle about getting replacement internals for an old ‘Favorit’ SS coaster hub. Very obliging fellow and offered me either a complete new hub or the complete replacement internals at no cost but I have to arrange shipping. I’ve never arranged shipping from another country to NZ before so I’m investigating that now… it’s looking very expensive though, so will probably not be able to get it which is rather annoying. :(

Glen.

Personally, I think this is great, gives everyone another option in the 2 speed space.

What I hope they don’t do is brand them as Bendix hubs. The last thing we need is for our market to suddenly have a supply of hubs that incredulous sellers would try marketing as NOS units.

This, aside from being fraudulent, would devalue the true ‘vintage’ units.

Fine, repop them as close to Bendix specs as possible, just brand them as ‘Eagle’ or whatever, not Bendix.

Climbing down from my soapbox now.

Cheers all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I think this is great, gives everyone another option in the 2 speed space.

What I hope they don’t do is brand them as Bendix hubs. The last thing we need is for our market to suddenly have a supply of hubs that incredulous sellers would try marketing as NOS units.

This, aside from being fraudulent, would devalue the true ‘vintage’ units.

Fine, repop them as close to Bendix specs as possible, just brand them as ‘Eagle’ or whatever, not Bendix.

Climbing down from my soapbox now.

Cheers all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to say, I agree with ya Doc. I’m not sure the intent of markings. From the conversations I had, I believe the brake arms will be stamped Bendix. But judging from the samples, I think the actual hub shell will have Eagle. I’m also not sure if the brake arm markings will be the same as originals. From what I understood, these are being made in the same factory as the bendix 86 and 96 were.
The gentlemen I spoke with were very knowledgeable on all things Bendix and had a high respect for the hubs of vintage.
I believe my adoration and knowledge of Bendix is why I was aloud to purchase a sample.

I’m just stoked to have my hands on this to test out! According to the company president, I have the first and only one that has left their hands.

I know what you mean. A genuine blue band in 36H is a pretty rare bird.

I thought all blue hubs were 28h and yellow were 36h. If Bendix made blue 36h, that’s news to me. I put blue 1.5:1 guts in a yellow 36h shell for a big overdrive.

I thought all blue hubs were 28h and yellow were 36h. If Bendix made blue 36h, that’s news to me. I put blue 1.5:1 guts in a yellow 36h shell for a big overdrive.

As I understand, a 36H blue band hub was available over-the-counter, but rarely if ever came installed in a bike. Consequently, they are scarce. Your shell-swap is the usual way it goes.

Bendix4r.JPG

Check out the last item in the chart...part #480840.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't keep up on this. How time flies.
So, in the 15 months since I got my hands on that hub, I only rode it once... because unfortunately, it slipped between gears. I do believe this is mainly do to it being a sample. Upon a better inspection, there wasn't any grease in the hub at all. I believe it was assembled for display purpose. Due to my buying habits with bike parts, the wheel kinda got buried, and I've since got a few yellow and red band Bendix hubs. I do have the lock tool to take the hub apart and regrease it. Just haven't got to it.
Before it slipped, it felt great, and I still have hopes for it. I haven't spoke with the gentleman I purchased it from in about a year, and I'm not sure where they are at production wise. I purchased the hub off the floor at interbike in 2018, and as an indication to the state of the industry, interbike was cancelled for 2019. And they didn't have a stand at seaotter, so, no idea where they stand.

Latest posts

Back