"Dragst-Her" (Class 1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I may have a housing barrel like that from an old brake set. I may be able to find a suitable spring that size as well. But does anyone know what this thing is?

0BhEoI.jpg

Do you need to drill for the cable to pass through the front? Looks like that may have been for a bike that didn't have a lever but just a drag brake?

This picture should help. The large barrel washer mounts in the front. I think you knew that because that side is threaded. On the back there is a brake ferrule similar to the ones by a brake caliper. It has a shape I haven't seen for brake calipers though, but I think a normal ferrule should work. You can see it on the outside of the base, where the white cable comes in.

The lead button attached to the stock cable rides on the inside of the tabs on the base, on the front side of the drag brake arm, which is the flat side. There is a small spring that is included on the front end of the lead washer and fits INSIDE the large barrel washer. It is almost the size of a spring you would find in a click top ball point pen.

So, when the brake is pulled, the lead button pulls the rear brake caliper tight for "drag braking". When the arm is released, the small spring in front of the lead washer provides some additional push to get the cable back in place for normal braking. You may be able to get it to work without the spring, as the rear brake caliper has tension from the brake spring, so it may pull the cable back in place fine.

Last edited:
I can see it now but couldn't at work. Makes sense. (except the hooking the brake to the shifter part...that has never made much sense to me..:p) I've seen those ferrules on something..:39:

I do have that small spring. And I found a ferrule that will work, I just need to drill out the receiving hole slightly bigger to accept it.

g7evjW.jpg

Sorry, my phone took that... it's terrible.

So, now I need to find something to clamp to the cable. I doubt a fishing weight would hold. I like what @Chad T posted, but the hole is offset. I found this on Ebay, but the hole for the cable seems huge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vw-carb...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

You totally had me fooled with this pic.

QHhh30.jpg

Couldn't figure out why you weren't going 24/20 on the SS...:39:..twin stick seemed extravagant too...:39:

Now it all makes sense....that's some action! Nicely played..:p

Latest posts

Back