1951 Schwinn DX-L (Class 2)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a little video of where it's starting. I wanted to ride it around for a bit before i cut it up to see if I had any other issues to take care of. What I didn't show in the time-lapse was trying to straighten out the rear end of the bike - more like spaghetti than seat/chain stays.

And then there's a fork that I want to use...
21246647_10212072575824545_6393122320637914694_o.jpg

dropout02.jpg
The plan: a gooseneck style stretch/rake to the front of the frame, pull-back bars and a banana seat left over from a previous, stillborn project. Wheel size could be fat 24"s. Oh yeah, and extended chainstays/new seat stays similar in theme to my College Drop-Out build from RRBBOleven.
IMG_20170907_113906_401.jpg

Last edited:
Part of my plan is to paint the frame and fork up in a nearly stock paint scheme, with the Schwinn feathers and darts just like a '51 DX would normally have.
That fork is ridiculously cool.
Yeah, I figured that it was similar enough to a Schwinn knee-action springer that it wouldn't look too out of place, but should be a much better ride.

I like this a lot. Lets see some more.
With any luck, I'll start stripping paint this weekend. I will probably do the gooseneck-style stretch/rake before I modify the rear of the frame. That way, I can mount the fork back up, and set the rear ride height to make sure she sits level.
The head tube of the DX frame will be removed, and I will replace/extend it with the front section of a '68 Schwinn Varsity girls frame, flipped to increase the rake. When I'm done, I think the head tube angle will be about 45 degrees from vertical, and 6-8 inches further out. Final proportions should be closer to this:
Zero10.jpg

@gowjobs , if you are thinking of keeping it 'ratty', you could always just cover the pad portion and keep the pans exposed. That's what I did on One-Liner. My pad is a camping pad (very tight celled foam) with leather from an old purse wrapped around, glued with 3M Super Adhesive 77, then painted with a 100% acrylic black (the purse was white).
IMG_20160525_183117.jpg
IMG_20160525_200512.jpg
IMG_20160526_081727.jpg

Those camping mats make good foam padding for seats, Pedro and Flip were done with that stuff.
Hey Luke, speaking of your rad rides, have you had any spins on Back40 lately? Now I'm going to have to dig up a pic of that bike...so cool!

Not planning to keep it THAT ratty. The seat will likely be covered in remnants of an old leather jacket or something similar. A little patina here and there is okay, but this should be more shiny than crusty when it's done.

May get at least one wheel laced up today if the LBS has the right lengths of spokes available, so there could be pics tonight of that, at least.

Holy smokes. I haven't made much real progress on the Schwinn, but have been steadily gathering bits and pieces toward its completion. So far, I have:
  • 2 frames
  • forks
  • headset
  • bottom bracket
  • stainless chainwheel
  • front and rear drum brake hubs
  • seat pans
  • seat post
  • vinyl paint masks
  • 24x2-1/4" polished rims
  • Rear water-jet cut dropouts
  • freewheel
  • rear fender/struts

On the way:
  • Handlebars/stem
  • brake levers

Still need:
  • Spokes
  • tires
  • tubes
  • rim strips
  • final crank
  • final bottom bracket
  • paint
  • steel to extend rear dropouts
  • grips
  • upholstery
  • chain

and probably a million other little bits and bobs.

Frustrating Sunday of work.

I tore down the DX completely to prep it for the frame mods coming up. Afterward, I masked stripes on the polished 57mm hoops and shot them with self-etching primer. When that had dried, I shot two coats of color. When I went to remove the tape, a bunch of the surrounding paint started coming with it. I was able to remove all of the paint using only my thumb/finger nails in about twenty minutes. Etching primer didn't etch, I guess.
Screw it - I'm just going to run full-polished wheels, I guess. I don't want to go through this again, and masking them took an hour. If I had to rough them up, pull the tape and re-mask before paint... just not worth the time and labor.

I've had that problem with previously chromed parts. I'm going to be doing the same with my Fastback for this MBBO. A friend suggested that I get a sharp Xacto-knife and run the edge of the tape before pulling to ensure the paint doesn't come up with the tape, as it has done before. It doesn't seem like the etch primer etched, like you said. I guess I expect it to actually bond with the metal, but honestly I have no idea if it does or not... but I use it anyway. :39:

Diggin the concept. Stoked to see this one come together!

I'm pretty sure you're local. I have some 24" tires that I mounted and didn't fit. A 3" (and the tube) and a 2.5. Holler if you're interested

Diggin the concept. Stoked to see this one come together!

I'm pretty sure you're local. I have some 24" tires that I mounted and didn't fit. A 3" (and the tube) and a 2.5. Holler if you're interested
Thanks for lookin' out. I have 3" and 2.125" tires on the way in cream/ivory. We'll see how that looks.

Latest posts

Back