Super Cruiser Restomod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's because I used oven cleaner and let it sit for days, or maybe my oven cleaner is crap.
But the paint didn't come off.

So I tried again today,and nothing.
9b54b4375a5a53c6190f66761b2431b6.jpg

Anyone know what kind of rivets I need to attach the head badge to the frame?

I saw some on eBay, but don't know if they are a specific size or if any head badge rivets will work.
I have used these with good success. The darker ones I soaked in white vinegar for a day or so.
011.JPG
010.JPG

I could send you some if you like.

On the paint stripping side, I used Zip Strip paint and varnish remover. Wear a very thick pair of rubber gloves, dedicate a tarp to cover your area (recommend out doors ....odors) that will be dumped after (plastic sheeting on a roll from HD) and use a plastic scraper to scrape off the sludge as it peels right before your eyes!

I normally use stripper, but thought I'd try oven cleaner again. I tried it a year or so ago, but it didn't work then.
I'm done with it.

Maybe I should try my little backpack blaster out.
Either way it'll get done, and now I know what the client wants... Actually Lee, I'll need some advice.... PM forthcoming.

I have to give props to you folks who do this for a living.

I don't know how you build a bike based on what the customer wants, rather than what the bike wants.
I know the customer is always right... maybe.
But building this thing for a customer has me feeling like Jani Lane felt about the song Cherry Pie...I'm not happy with a single part of it.

Am I crazy for being able to hear what a bicycle is saying, or crazy for building something I hate?

I just watched a TV show on Velocity. It was Garage Dreams. Mostly custom car builds from Australia. They did have a builder from USA. He said he really doesn't care what the "owner" wants. He builds it the way HE wants. He said the finished car is part of him, and it's his signature going on it. If it doesn't look right, it's a reflection on him. He tries to convince the owner, but if he can't he still builds it the way he wants.

I really dig this bike, wish I could of bought it first time you had it for sale :D

I really dig this bike, wish I could of bought it first time you had it for sale :D
It's actually kind of funny, I didn't have it for sale.
I rode it to work one day, when I got home my neighbor asked if I'd be willing to sell it.

Of course I'd sell it, I want to sell them all. So we made a deal, and here it is.

Am I crazy for being able to hear what a bicycle is saying, or crazy for building something I hate?

@Jake Sensi and I kid about this all the time, but it's so true when you are moving along on a build and you may be thinking of one thing, but next thing you know you hear
"Hey bud, don't do that. Have you thought about doing this instead? I'd be much happier if you did."
Silly bikes.

@Jake Sensi and I kid about this all the time, but it's so true when you are moving along on a build and you may be thinking of one thing, but next thing you know you hear
"Hey bud, don't do that. Have you thought about doing this instead? I'd be much happier if you did."
Silly bikes.
I remember that, I still need to make that t-shirt. You and Jake will be the first to get one when I figure it out.

Well, the weather here has been crap on a stick. Between the rain and high humidity when it's not raining, I haven't been able to paint.

Anyone else having this issue?
I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to get it finished by the 28th.

Well, the weather here has been crap on a stick. Between the rain and high humidity when it's not raining, I haven't been able to paint.

Anyone else having this issue?
I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to get it finished by the 28th.
We had 6 days 90 and over this month, and yes, raining when the sun wasn't out. Then today, the bottom fell out. Barely got over 60. Would have been a great day for painting here. But one day does not a paint job make.
:grin:

The humidity finally went away... Temporarily.

While sanding the forks down, I found what appears to be some darts. I don't know if they're original, or if they were part of the house paint job.

I'll check with the new owner to see if he wants any kind of trim on the fork.
69cc4ef03782d81536975163afb432d1.jpg

Latest posts

Back