WBO Anything Goes 2017 paint or patina?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What are the pros and cons of paint or patina?

For the build I've got in mind (burrito) no finish at all is the norm. Original when you can and leave the welds hanging out there for everyone to see. But I love bare metal, with patina you have to blend the new parts in or they stick out like a sore thumb. So, where are you guys at? We've just finished the MBBO so I've smelt enough flake and shine for a while. But what do you guys have going on?

Carl.

i like faux patina when its done right , you can blend everything , old and new , rusted or not , and it gives that rust protection , and you don't have to always clean , polish or take care of everything casue its made to look beated up

Well I wrote about new parts but my bikes don't usually have much, maybe new spokes, so like 1HP, I've blended patinas to get the overall level of crust to match. The tandem I'm going to chop is in really good shape. Plain jane Columbia red. Boring. Yet, the Burrito "community" like to see og paint and parts. I've never been an establishment guy and the original name for the build was Harlequin Deuce so I may paint the front half of the bike and let it "fade" into rewelded burnt og red at the back...

Carl.

catch the frame on fire, and call it done... Not sure if that's structurally dangerous or not.
I like the idea. A little Jimi Hendrix goin' on. Might be a cool transition instead of the fade!

Carl.

catch the frame on fire, and call it done... Not sure if that's structurally dangerous or not.
Cool idea, but I would be worried about the temper of the steel afterwards... :39:

Luke.

Cool idea, but I would be worried about the temper of the steel afterwards... :39:

Luke.
That's what I'm not sure about, also I attempted it with bullrat and the finish didn't even bubble. I guess that would depend on accelerant.
still seems cool, but don't want anyone getting hurt on my idea. Might want to do some research on it.

That's what I'm not sure about, also I attempted it with bullrat and the finish didn't even bubble. I guess that would depend on accelerant.
still seems cool, but don't want anyone getting hurt on my idea. Might want to do some research on it.
I was thinking maybe a bit of rattle can paint and hit it with a hand held acetylene torch. That's give you intense surface heat quickly and strategically...

There was a build last year where one guy sort of blued bare metal with fire...

Carl.

...yeah, I remember that one Carl. Had sort of a 'bluing' look to it when he was done. I love my rust, real or surreal, but I'm kind of digging the rusty original frame / fenders, etc with new parts added on. My Mesa Buggie last year was an example: original frame patina with black 'new' wheels, stem, seatpost, and old patina black motox bars. Going to pull a @Chad T and @metalchewy and add 1x gearing with a disc brake on the rear for one of my builds this winter. My other one will be an old Columbia I started here, and will finish in AZ. Some mix of original and faux and new on that one too....

IMG_20160203_150935.jpg

20161105_184758.jpg
20161105_184637.jpg

The two speed on my Bomber is perfect for any mountain, the way that i ride it, like a BMX in the hills.

But, i set aside a build, called Bean the Bike, a multi speed chroMo Trek frame, that i picked up from the trash. Taking it down to bare metal with the purposes of having a solid lighter hard tail on trails that beat bikes up, like the rocky and jumpy Frenchman trail on the northeast side of the valley.
20161222_071125.jpg

The other on my list is an electronic and restification upgrade for an electric stingray i picked up for cheep. 36v Turbo button, and a third battery for it, as well as a logic switch and relays to switch between 36, 24, and 12v for turbo, run, and charge.
20161222_071200.jpg

Last edited:
First, however, I need to also finish up the Mojave Express.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/89568/
It has about 200 miles, one destroyed tube, and a seat that is harder than my head with no signs of softening. Needs that fixed, plus I need to make some custom decals. I had photoshopped them up and lost the power supply in the computer. Need to take that drive and put it in a case to print the waterslide decals and apply them.

Grips are ends are falling out and need to be remade.
20161222_085303.jpg

I was thinking maybe a bit of rattle can paint and hit it with a hand held acetylene torch. That's give you intense surface heat quickly and strategically...

There was a build last year where one guy sort of blued bare metal with fire...

Carl.
That might look cool, when I tried it I wanted the bike to look like it survived a barn fire. But a fire fade could be interesting.

That might look cool, when I tried it I wanted the bike to look like it survived a barn fire. But a fire fade could be interesting.
I burned the paint off of TorReds fenders last year. Was powdercoated and rather than
and it off, I burned it off and let it rust where it could... a year later and they've ripened well. With flash can see some thin spots of black paint remaining.
20161222_172718.jpg

I had painted a kickstand with mopar blue engine paint amd wanted it purple so it would match the Purple Valiant I made in MBBO3.

I heated it with the heat gun to get that engine paint quite warm, and sprayed it with testors metallic plum. It bubbled and boiled as it layed on, but i kept spraying till it layed down.

Has a cracked hammered type finish, with the higher ceramic paint still solid underneath.

024714e63dffd902b234bcda2bc16cda.jpg

Took it off the roof of the shed. Only nature can produce such beauty. This will be a build. ( im lagging lately but I'll cram)

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
Cool bro, and no problem we've got days before the start...

Carl.

I'm a huge fan of nice paint jobs, especially metal flakes and pearls, but, when an original patina is saved that has a good place in my heart. It takes talent to do a realistic faux patina, TRM is the master at that!! I guess what I'm saying is, it's not just the finished paint job or lack of paint, as long as the overall design of the bike flows well.

Hum why can't I find the actual build off thread [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back