// Muscle Drifter \\ Reverse trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to the first ride video!

Luke.
waiting on rod-end /ball joints for the steering , no idea when this is gonna come in :oops:
can't wait my self, since the first snow couple days ago , all i think about is having fun sliding in many ways:)

DSCN7082_zpscczda0re.jpg
DSCN7083_zpsvsfs790l.jpg

All i need is :

-fabricate the front steering rods
-add reinforcements to the back
-get Chain / BB / ball-joints / a tire

Did allot of work yesterday and assembled it back this morning

-I reinforced the back with a 'X' support to add twisting regidity and big washers farther back to support the tubes even more under the brakes

-then i spent a good 5h cleaning and smoothing everything

-then i used all my left over cans of primer and a Almond can i had that was used for graphics on my Elgin last year

glad i invested the time to finish it right , the original plan was to let it ugly and just brush anti-rust paint all over
DSCN7086_zpsuppyi3ln.jpg
DSCN7084_zpspggaqgie.jpg
DSCN7087_zpsrksri3io.jpg

What kind of tie rods are you going with? Male ends or female ends?
male , ill use tubes for the links , ill just weld a nut on both side of the tubes

Well , looks like i won't have the rod-end anytime soon , they cancelled my order saying i need to order from a company or school name :envy::mad:

anyone have a good site (other than McMasterCarr) that ANYONE can order parts?

I'very purchased rod ends and kits from BMIkarts.com on several occasions. The last set I have purchased on ebay.

I was actually asking because I thought I had several ends in my closet, but only had two, each a different size.

Thats a awesome site! sadly their shipping would kill me , it says 38$ for a 5$ part with shipping :43::oops:

I found some on amazon for a great price , but ill only get them in half a month to a month :20::cry:

Are there any Grainger or Fastenal stores in Canada? Fastens may be iffy, but Grainger sells darn near everything.

You might try racing kart sales in your area.

Are there any Grainger or Fastenal stores in Canada? Fastens may be iffy, but Grainger sells darn near everything.

You might try racing kart sales in your area.
Never saw that store around here, ill check them up too see if they have good prices with shipping
I found a place called dmjracing.com in Quebec. There Store Lists a bunch of tie rods, but no ends. I have to assume that is an oversight.
i have good stores for around here for everything BUT rodends pretty much , the autoparts stores have some but way to big and overly priced for what i want to do
Plenty on eBay around me in the GoKart section, have you tried that?

Luke.
yeah like i said , i bought some from Amazon for a verrry good price , but it gonna be a while before i see them at the door

Well the trike is basically done except for the steering .

i realized i mockup the frame with the junk derailleur from the donnor bike , but the one i wanted to use actually needed that modern monting point so i welded one in there
DSCN7089_zpsdxcozpww.jpg

also realized the bars alright on the bike , so i added a reinforcement bar BMX style cause i could feel the flex in it
then buffed out the surface rust and chrome with a scuffing pad and clear coated:thumbsup:
DSCN7091_zps8akgyiwi.jpg

got a BB , buffed out the crank and pedals , also gave the pedals a re-lube and a coat of black cause they were rusty and pitted
DSCN7090_zpsjwet8mqz.jpg

DSCN7088_zpswziva7ep.jpg

If you feel you have exhausted all avenues regarding the rod ends, let me know. I started my kart only once this year, so giving up some rod ends for a good cause will be no biggie.

Fair warning, these will be left and right handed threads. If you can give me a measure from eyelet to eyelet, and it appears that the rods will work, I'll send the whole shebang.

If you feel you have exhausted all avenues regarding the rod ends, let me know. I started my kart only once this year, so giving up some rod ends for a good cause will be no biggie.

Fair warning, these will be left and right handed threads. If you can give me a measure from eyelet to eyelet, and it appears that the rods will work, I'll send the whole shebang.
:43::13: That would be sick!
ether 1x 23-24'' + 1x 10-12'' or 2X 11- 12'' not even sure how iam gonna do it yet

but like i said i ordered some already , but they only get here in mid Dec to mid January .. but if your willing to give them up and they fit and can get here before ill sure be willing:thumbsup:

i was going to order some reverse thread , but i would of had tu buy a reverse tap , so i just ordered normal threads , it will not be quick adjust but once it is setup good it will likely never be adjusted again;)

There's advantages to not having it quick turn. I forgot to tighten the lock nuts after adjustment once. Darn near turned my kart into a 50mph shovel! I destroyed a set of rain tires with that move...

I will have to check after work, but I believe the rods are right at 11-12". You won't be able to do the single rod all the way across; but I believe running them symmetrically is the only way to set up Ackerman, if you are so inclined to mess with that.

turns out that the best way to have good leverage is with the symetrical
setup
hackerman can be made ether way but i don't need a whole lot for drifting anyways. just enough to help initiate the turns

with this setup , i should have about 50 degree steering lock before it gets dificult to turn back
about 3degres less on the outer wheel in full lock
and my handle bars turn less per degre of wheel turn
steering_zps1nwrx6j8.jpg
steering2_zpsmxffvr6u.jpg

Last edited:
Fair enough. I measured my front end, and they are set at 12" on the nut. Where the bolts sit now, there isn't a lot of distance to be taken in. It appeared to be about 3 turns on one side, and 4-5 on the other (this kart met a house before I purchased it, it could use a little massaging).

Fair enough. I measured my front end, and they are set at 12" on the nut. Where the bolts sit now, there isn't a lot of distance to be taken in. It appeared to be about 3 turns on one side, and 4-5 on the other (this kart met a house before I purchased it, it could use a little massaging).
it won't come down to 11.5'' ? cause i built the steering guide bracket , and with acurate mesuring now its at 11,5'' from ball joint to balljoint centers

Latest posts

Back