(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my guess back on page 2. Guess I should have read the whole thread first! Sounds cool. The whole tank conversion to mock diff really ups the ante on the 'rat roddiness' of this build. Full speed ahead!

I like the new digs Luke! The OUTBACK40...? :bigsmile:
I like it! :thumbsup:
Dual wheel drive!
That was my guess back on page 2. Guess I should have read the whole thread first! Sounds cool. The whole tank conversion to mock diff really ups the ante on the 'rat roddiness' of this build. Full speed ahead!
Your guess was correct, just maybe not the way you imagined! Glad you like the diff pumpkin, I was laughing in my head when I was trying to figure out what to use for it and saw that old tank!

Luke.

That's amazing! I saw the whole thread and I read I again and again and again... and I still don't understand. .. you sir, are a genuis!!
Maybe I should draw up some diagrams to show how it should work...
Edit: Actually I might do a video once I have it assembled... ;)

Luke.

Last edited:
I didn't see that one coming! I was at least partially right about the tank being a cover, but never considered a differential for dual rear wheels! :43: I believe you've found a way to raise an already high bar into the stratosphere!

It's clear that everyone else in class 2 can now start focusing on second place (at best) in the voting!:chicken::praise:

I knew it ! Thats just awesome luke!! :43:
2008-Volvo-Hot-Rod-Jakob-Studio-Rear-Angle-Tilt-1600x1200.jpg

now iam really curious about what wheel is going up front:39::rockout:

Last edited:
I didn't see that one coming! I was at least partially right about the tank being a cover, but never considered a differential for dual rear wheels! :43: I believe you've found a way to raise an already high bar into the stratosphere!

It's clear that everyone else in class 2 can now start focusing on second place (at best) in the voting!:chicken::praise:
:21: I had to come up with something new for this year!

Thanks for the praise TRM, but this build-off is far from over yet, the drivetrain is pretty much all I had planned, from here on in I am making it up as I go along, so who knows if it will look any good at the end!
I knew it ! Thats just awesome luke!! :43:
2008-Volvo-Hot-Rod-Jakob-Studio-Rear-Angle-Tilt-1600x1200.jpg
Thanks 1HP! That early Ford banjo style diff like in your pic is what got me thinking about a bolted together split gas tank for the centre section, and the tapered steam pipe adaptors on the axle tubes!

1112rc-01-1940-ford-banjo-rearend-rear-end.jpg

Mixed in with a little of Motor-Trike differential for the exterior bolt arrangment:

trike4.jpg

now iam really curious about what wheel is going up front:39::rockout:
Front wheel will be a standard 20" BMX rim with a whitewall, I have found that having heavy tires and wheels on the back of a bike is fine, but you have to be much more careful with rake angles if you go heavy on the front too!

Didn't see that coming, I thought you were building a boiler for a steam engine.
An LTJ trike, definitely subscribed.
:thumbsup: I will try and keep it entertaining!
(Steam power has crossed my mind!)

Luke.

(Steam power has crossed my mind!)
Mine too, Artemus was supposed to be steam powered.
I think the thought of a boiler exploding between my legs is my biggest issue to making it happen... :21:

Luke.

I remade the video, they are not as loud or as clear toned as they were before the stuff was welded to them ,but it does give you an idea:

Did quite a bit of work today, including a lot of math and figuring dimensions out.

Started by cutting a bottom bracket in half and welding the halves into the uncut steam pipe adaptors:

View attachment 33413

Then extended two bottom bracket axles, one by 95mm, the other by 110mm:

View attachment 33412

All welded up:

View attachment 33414

Then I had to work out how far the bottom brackets needed to extend into the propane tank piece, here is where many mock-up's and the math was involved because the freewheels are offset due to the brake discs, which moves the axles closer to one side than the other:

View attachment 33415

Worked out that on the left side, the bottom bracket needed to protrude into the tank by 20mm, so I placed a stack of steel under the hole and measured until it was right:

View attachment 33416

View attachment 33417

Tacked on top, then welded on the inside (Still smoking in the pic):

View attachment 33418

Repeat the process for the other side, but this time it needed to go in 35mm, same story, here it is finished:

View attachment 33419

Then cut the excess bottom bracket sleeves from the outside and tacked the two cut down steam pipe adaptors over the holes in the tank halves:

View attachment 33420

Assembled the axles in the holes to measure how much pipe was needed to fill the gap:

View attachment 33421

Both sides came to 15mm, I was very happy at this moment, because them being the same meant my math was correct! :thumbsup:

By the way, have you worked it out yet? :39: :nod: :shake: :nerd:

Cut two pieces of pipe at 15mm, pulled the axles back out and removed the bearing cups from the bottom brackets, then bolted the tank halves back together and slid a piece of 1" tube through to ensure everything was perfectly straight:

View attachment 33422

Tacked every joint:

View attachment 33423

Fully welded:

View attachment 33424 View attachment 33425

Here is a last photo showing the parts all together in case you are still struggling to work it out:

View attachment 33426

That was a big day's work! Pretty sure I will be taking it easy tomorrow, but I may assemble the whole contraption with the wheels and all and snap some pics, because all this has been in my head for months and I just want to see it all together!

:113:

Luke.

One of the most insanely cool ideas ever brother!
WOW!!!!! :praise::rockout::113::banana:

Is awsome dude. Sorry wasnt trying give it away.. i thought for sure was a given... i guess uve read to many of yiur messages in threads so i knew ud been thinkering about it:bigsmile:

Okie Dokie, so Class 2 is all wrapped up. Guess I'll get back to work on my Class 1 bike.

You're good crazy and talented, Luke.

furyus

Awe man missed the mystery part. That is so cool. I was thinking rock tumbler..:21:
Shhh, don't give my wife ideas!
One of the most insanely cool ideas ever brother!
WOW!!!!! :praise::rockout::113::banana:
Thanks King!
Is awsome dude. Sorry wasnt trying give it away.. i thought for sure was a given... i guess uve read to many of yiur messages in threads so i knew ud been thinkering about it:bigsmile:
I figured like you that it would be obvious by that point, and everyone would get it, so no problems Man!
"Thinkering" hey? I like it!
Okie Dokie, so Class 2 is all wrapped up. Guess I'll get back to work on my Class 1 bike.
Still a long way to go on this build-off and build!
You're good crazy and talented, Luke.

furyus
:21: Thanks! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Pretty sore after yesterday, but not too sore to assemble the pieces!

Decided to use Shimano style cones on the inside so that I could use my long puller, much easier than trying to get in there with multigrips or a shifter:

2016-09-08 14.17.34.jpg

Disc/freewheel pieces on:

2016-09-08 14.17.51.jpg

Still need to cut the slots for the chains to run in and mount the brake calipers somehow, not looking forward to trying to figure that out!

Bolted it all up:

2016-09-08 14.18.06.jpg

You know that feeling you have when you see something together for the first time and you just stop and stare for a while? Sometimes it is that first step back and have a look after paint and final assembly, sometimes it is the first parts mock-up, on 'Pedro' it was the first time I saw the Hoosier on that fat rim...

Just had that moment for the first time on this build:

2016-09-08 14.18.55.jpg

:13:

2016-09-08 14.18.20.jpg

Final check to make sure it will fit through my doorways in the house, I was aiming for 710mm:

2016-09-08 14.18.37.jpg

Maybe 5mm over, but I have 760mm on the narrowest frame in the house, so all good! :happy:

Time to actually consider the next step! I have been blanking a bit when thinking about it, because I have been unable to visualise the diff and wheels together, hopefully things will change now!

Luke.

Still need to mount the brake calipers somehow, not looking forward to trying to figure that out!

Luke.
if the axels are not to far from each other in there , you could make a faux gasket/spacer place between the 2 halfs and mount the caliper on both sides of that .
Query

could also just cut a releif in the cover and recess the calipers there ,beind both disks (a little box that stick out of the cover)
:39::)

I was thinking of just mounting them into the cover, not sure yet how much I will have to cut to get them to fit, but it will be at least some cutting of the outer case involved.

Luke.

Latest posts

Back