Each year we host one of the largest online custom bicycle build offs around. This is a free competition to enter and folks from all over the world will participate. On average we see anywhere from 75 to 100 entries and the creativity and camaraderie is off the charts.
You don’t have to be an expert fabricator or welder to join in on the fun. We see all level of bikes being built and everyone on the forum is always supportive.
This build off runs from May 1st – September 1st so you can jump in at any point and starting building your bike.
Here’s a quick run down of the rules…
- Bike build must begin on or after May 1st, 2020. This isn’t a bike show…it’s a build off competition. The point is to build a bike and document the progress in the time frame given.
- You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
- Start a new thread in the forum’s Build Off 15 section and use the bike name as the post “Subject/Title.” Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
- Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
- Bike must be rideable and pedal powered.
- Finished bike photos must be posted in the “Finished Bikes” thread by 9:00 p.m. CT on Tuesday, September 1st, 2020.
- Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
- Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.
This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!
This class is for builds using a factory manufactured frame and forks. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that you’re frame modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2. Below is an example of a build that would fit in Class 1.
This class has no restrictions on frames and forks. Can be completely fabricated from scratch or heavily modified factory frames…feel free to go crazy! Below is an example of a build that would fit in Class 2.
Build Off 15 Shirts
Click below to purchase a 15th Annual Rat Rod Bikes Build Off shirt!