Need ideas? Need advice? Give this forum a try.
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
I picked up a very nice spaceliner. Most of the parts are there except the tank/nose assembly.
For a week I have been spraying all nuts, bolts, seat post and stem with PB.
Today I started to tear it down, everything went perfect till I got to the seat post.
It too was coming out easy,then I noticed that only about 3 inches came out.
It was broke and there is another 6 inches rusted inside the frame.
What do I do now?
Could I soak the frame in a bath of Citric acid or Oxalic acid?
I cant see any way to remove it completely, So I hope to at least be able to break it loose and tap it deeper into the seat tube to make room for another post .
Id say if you can get it loose by taping down, then you should be able to pull it out. Get the wedge from a stem, long piece of all-thread and yank it up. you might get a body dent puller, aka a slide hammer and pound it up that way.
Some people call me Macgyver
A difficult way to do it would be to run a hacksaw blade down in there and cut it in half lengthwise. Then it should come out easy by putting a sturdy "hook" down in behind it and pulling it out.
I tried being serious, but it was boring.
There is no downside to giving it a squirt of Pen-oil a couple times a day for a week before anything.
Will a heavy duty thick washer fit up from the bottom bracket? If so, run an all thread down from the top, put on the washer and a nut and pull it up through to the seat post. With some forethought you should be able to make a slide-hammer for the top with a piece of pipe and more washers/nuts to bang it out. If it doesnt want to move, soak it some more, you dont want to mushroom it tighter in there. Pen-oil is your friend.
So many bikes, so little time.......
Thanks for all of the advice!!
I Tried the stem idea but with the 13/16 seat post it was too small to fit one inside.
I tried tapping it down, no go.
So I kept soaking it.
After a week of that I was getting nowhere.
So a friend suggested he put it in his lathe.
Because it was broke at an angle, He first had to mill the post square.
Then he was able to drill it out with a 3/4 Drill bit.
Came out clean and doesn't even look like anything was ever stuck!! Im so Jazzed he was able to fix it.
Turns out that the post was rusted in four spots. Each of the areas where the double top tubes are spot welded to the seat tube.
If only people would grease Stems,seat posts and pedal threads our lives would be much easier.
First thing you have to turn your preconceived conventions on their head.
The drill goes in the headstock and the frame is clamped to the topslide.
I have seen lathes big enough to swing a frame, but you need a BIG workshop for one of those
As a small lathe owner I often have to fix the work and spin the tool.
A pesimist is rarely disapointed
most likey a tool room lathe or "table top" im a machine programmer/operator if you take ya time and set it up the right way it can be done. not something for a newbie lathe operator to try.
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
Users browsing this forum: John Doe and 2 guests