A place for discussing motorized bicycles.
Hello Ratrodbikes forum! this is my first post I believe and i figured this would be a good way to start! with my recently started project I will begin with a drawing
I've been working on this idea for a while, this is basically the final revision. originally i was going to build a full on custom board track racer style bike, custom frame and the whole nine yards, but then reality kicked back in when i remembered that i don't have a MIG welder or any other useful metalworking tools! what i DID have was an 85cc tecumseh two stroke motor from a snowblower, and a couple of western flyer bicycles!
the ladies bike will donate to me its front and rear brakes, forks, and shimano 333 3 speed rear hub to be mounted on the other bike. today i made a mockup of the tank, flipped the bars and a few other little things on the bike. Its been HOT. 89 with a heat index of 107 today, wasnt too bad with a fan blowing directly at me! I owe a LOT to my good friend Simon for helping me figure some of this bicycle specific stuff out (i'm a total noob when it comes to any of the more technical bicycle stuff) and with the gear ratios. for simplicities sake I've decided to order the bulk of the parts from GoKartParts.com, which also has some of the lowest priced parts i've come across. The parts chosen are as follows:
*12t #35 chain 5/8 bore max torque clutch
*5/8"x10" jackshaft kit (13t and 18t sprockets)
*c35 chain 10 foot roll
*ccl-35 connecting link x2
*72 tooth steel sprocket #35 chain
all of that means that i should have around a 10.6:1 ratio in third gear with around a 50mph top speed. and stump pulling torque in first The motor, if you cant tell, is an 85cc tehcumseh 2 stroke which is 2-3hp stock if i remember right. it will be getting some mild port work, a tuned exhaust pipe, and a new carb which should be good for a little power boost i've come up with what i think will be a more than adequate mounting method for the motor, without welding! here is where i sit right now, cardboard tank mockup and all
more progress as i make it! i wont be ordering parts for a while yet, but theres a lot of progress to be made without spending anything yet! please let me know what you think
I have three of those little engines. I put one on my drag bike project and we are in the process of building radio flyer wagon figure 8 bumper cars to race in a parking lot and on the ice this Winter.
Delinquents Car Club, Twin Cities, MN
Well you certainly have plenty of lakes to choose from in your state
little bumpdate here for you fine people, did some work out in the heat today, got most of the parts i want yanked off the ladies bike and the forks and wheels swapped over to my frame, i need to do a little grinding on my stem to get it to fit in the older forks but everything else went pretty smoothly. for your viewing pleasure
OK! here is what the above picture is showing!
Sorry for the poor quality. what I've done is cut off the seat tube just above the top tube of the frame and then inserted the handlebar stem in the seat tube, ground off the handlebar clamp, modified the seat clamp to fit, and attached the whole thing together, i still have a little adjustment and tweaking i can do to make it sit a little lower/father back but it is VERY sturdy. i think it will work quite well
Niiiice! Hate to hijack, but we used to own an 84 GTI. Since then ive been a mk1 person. But my dad is more a mk3 kinda guy. Lets just say we get into quite a many arguments over that. My dads harlequin is cool and everything, but theres nothing as fun as a little rabbit.
Here is the update i promised! first the motor i'm using in detail! sharpie marks are metal that will likely be removed
will be cleaning up the casting stuff, some dremel work and more filing should get it good looking
and just for kicks
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests