YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ......NOW SOUTHERN FLYER

Yeah, I like the middle one too, but it doesn't fit the space like I want it to. The tan one fits best over the rear fender and the seat post.

100_5325_zps2d4cf147.jpg

I like your idea about linking to this thread later. I hadn't thought of that. :idea:

I dig the details you uncovered on the fenders and I really like those curved braces.

cool new start!

Troy

kingfish254 said:
I dig the details you uncovered on the fenders and I really like those curved braces.

Thanks Kingfish. The fenders are really starting to set the tone for the build. I'm not sure how, but the graphics somehow preserved the chrome on the fenders while the rest has a nice brown metal patina. There's still more blue paint to be stripped. I stopped at this point to see if I would like some of the blue remaining, but I think it'll look better without it.

I did the same thing with the green, but I'm not sold on it either. Still trying to decide what to do before I go too far with the stripping.

Here's a closer look at the chrome detail...

100_5326_zpsdfc1d3f8.jpg

jats said:
cool new start!

Troy

Thanks Troy, looking forward to seeing those bigger tires on wilfrid!

Well I would love to have seen the moto get fitted up and slapped together in time for the deadline, but old glory was an awesome build too, cant wait to see how the new bike turns out, loving the logo and the curved braces, always wondered why more bikes didnt get the curved braces. Looking good on your second start RM !!!

CCR said:
Well I would love to have seen the moto get fitted up and slapped together in time for the deadline, but old glory was an awesome build too, cant wait to see how the new bike turns out, loving the logo and the curved braces, always wondered why more bikes didnt get the curved braces. Looking good on your second start RM !!!

Thanks my friend. I would've preferred to have seen the moto finished on time myself, but I am getting excited about the Southern Flyer! I spent about an hour yesterday on the curved braces getting them back in line.

It's funny that you mention Old Glory. I had been looking hard at some parts (like the springer and the tank) to use on this bike. That bike was never meant to be a keeper, but I've pretty much talked myself out of doing it (at least for now). I've got an idea for creating a truss fork out of the one in the parts picture. I didn't want to get into more fabricated parts, but it's just to fun! :mrgreen:

For anyone reading this and wondering what the heck we're talking about... this is Old Glory. :arrow: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=67438
And this is the logo from the previous page... :)
SouthernFlyer_zps520331ab.jpg

Found some bike parts at the thrift store.
To the untrained eye this would appear to be a hinge for a toilet seat, but being the only one in the store with any apparent rat bike knowledge, I quickly scooped it up.

100_5352_zpsa3bff043.jpg

This should work out perfectly! :mrgreen: :wink:

Oh no!!!
This build is going straight to the crapper quickly. :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
Oh no!!!
:lol:

kingfish254 said:
Oh no!!!

It gets better, he told me that my build had inspired him, then he goes out and buys a toilet seat lid :roll: :lol:

Spent several hours mounting the seat post today. Keeping true to the rules, the bracket is completely a bolt on part. There are no extra holes in the frame either. I placed the bolts in the three corners of the triangular opening between the seat post and the fender brace. It seems to be very strong.

Here's the mount...

100_5358_zps5e5da574.jpg

100_5357_zpsf8505530.jpg

Here it is with the saddle...

100_5364_zpse8e7883a.jpg

100_5359_zps29ec7781.jpg

I'm really liking the finish on these fenders, the pictures sort of show the bronze look of the metal.
I was thinking of various paint schemes until I stripped the paint. Now I've changed the whole plan in order to keep the fenders as is. More on that later. :wink:

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ......NOW SOUTHERN FLYER (seat post mounted)

Grade 8 bolts? Yeah, those will do hahaha.

Good work!

The Renaissance Man said:
Spent several hours mounting the seat post today. Keeping true to the rules, the bracket is completely a bolt on part. There are no extra holes in the frame either. I placed the bolts in the three corners of the triangular opening between the seat post and the fender brace. It seems to be very strong.

Here's the mount...

100_5358_zps5e5da574.jpg

100_5357_zpsf8505530.jpg

Here it is with the saddle...

100_5364_zpse8e7883a.jpg

100_5359_zps29ec7781.jpg

I'm really liking the finish on these fenders, the pictures sort of show the bronze look of the metal.
I was thinking of various paint schemes until I stripped the paint. Now I've changed the whole plan in order to keep the fenders as is. More on that later. :wink:
Dang that is cool as heck...

Great idea for a way to slam the porcelain throne, I mean seat down.

LukeTheJoker said:
Wow very nicely done!

Fordsnake: I agree on the Ford, but I think the other might be a Cobra though?

Luke.

Yeah, you're right...it could be an AC (really nice)? Curious minds want to know? :mrgreen:

Rockit! said:
Grade 8 bolts? Yeah, those will do hahaha.

Good work!
Can't be too safe right?! :D
dracothered said:
Dang that is cool as h***...
Thanks, I'm getting more and more excited about switching builds!
fordsnake said:
Nice touch on the stem...
kingfish254 said:
Great idea for a way to slam the porcelain throne, I mean seat down.
Thanks, I wanted to have the nose of the saddle cover the original post, so the solution sort of presented itself when I set it in place.
fordsnake said:
LukeTheJoker said:
Wow very nicely done!

Fordsnake: I agree on the Ford, but I think the other might be a Cobra though?

Luke.

Yeah, you're right...it could be an AC (really nice)? Curious minds want to know? :mrgreen:

You both have a keen eye! Yes the Ford is a '36 Cabriolet and the other is a Cobra. :)

There are several more of both type cars scattered throughout the shop. I'm very fortunate to be friends with the nice folks at Unique Motorcars in Gadsden, Alabama (http://www.uniquemotorcars.com/). I've been doing design work for them (logo, trade show displays, etc) for many years and they allow me free access to their facility! They manufacture replicas of Cobras and a few years ago added the Cabrio to their line up. Both cars are offered in various DIY kit packages as well as turn keys.

Here's another shot with a better look at some Cobras (and the Southern Flyer :mrgreen: )...

100_5355_zps2648c8b6.jpg

I got so distracted by the bolts I didn't even notice how nicely you tucked that seat down over the fender. Looks killer!

Latest posts

Back