YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike HELP NEEDED!

Dude this swing arm thing is over the top!!!!!!!

Troy

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike

OneHorsePower said:
i think the bend in the center tube is what cause your chain clearance issues :roll:
but a straight tube would require the whole rear thing to be placed at a steeper angle therefore a longer shock would be needed ..i think:?

The bend is just for aesthetics. I could have just as easily used a straight tube, but the bend mimics the bend in the down tube and gives it an overall more aggressive look (IMO).
100_5306_zpsfcff557a.jpg

The chain stay being close to the chain line is due to the overall geometry as it relates to the shock travel and the look of all of the parts together. I could have rotated the rear triangle down, made taller shock mounts, and gained as much clearance as I wanted, but then it starts looking wrong.
It's sort of like how women buy shoes, they either look good but are uncomfortable, or function good but look ugly. This was the best compromise for both form and function!
If it turns out to be a real problem, I've already got a plan for correcting it. :wink:

jats said:
Dude this swing arm thing is over the top!!!!!!!

Troy
Thanks Troy, still got to make more room for all of that rubber! :D

Last edited:
Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike

Unfortunately I have decided to put this build on hold. :cry: I will finish it later though.

See post :arrow: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=74218

This will allow me to continue participating in all of the fun of the build-off.

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike On Hold

I can see your point of not wanting to take any shortcuts on this one to make the deadline.
Still 4.5 weeks to go for another rat build. You kane dew eeet!!! I built BEER RUN in 30 days.

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike On Hold

kingfish254 said:
I can see your point of not wanting to take any shortcuts on this one to make the deadline.
Still 4.5 weeks to go for another rat build. You kane dew eeet!!! I built BEER RUN in 30 days.

That's the plan!
One part of me don't want to let go, but the other part knows better.

I will still continue to work on the Yamaha all along and will post as I go, but the pressure to meet the deadline will be lifted. This is my first time in the competition and I don't want to reach the end with an unfinished bike.

I'll start a new thread showing my second attempt soon! :mrgreen:

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike **On Hold**

can't wait to see your new frame!!!! its gonna be spaztacular!!!!!

Troy

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike **On Hold**

You've invested so much time already on this build...why not continued with this thread? Last year I build two bikes with two different names in one thread. You are allowed to changed the build only once and you can only submit one entry in the competition. Also there's nothing in the rules that limits you to how often you can change the name? It's a shame MotoBike has to be put on hold, but we all understand...smart time management supersedes creative exploration every time! :) Looking forward to your new build.

SOUTHERN FLYER

Thanks for the support Luke and Troy. I'll try not to disappoint. :)

fordsnake said:
You've invested so much time already on this build...why not continued with this thread? Last year I build two bikes with two different names in one thread. You are allowed to changed the build only once and you can only submit one entry in the competition. Also there's nothing in the rules that limits you to how often you can change the name? It's a shame MotoBike has to be put on hold, but we all understand...smart time management supersedes creative exploration every time! :) Looking forward to your new build.

That would work to keep this thread. I'm waiting for one of the mods to advise me on how to switch. I guess I'll leave it here at least for now. I'm looking forward to getting started, thanks!

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ......NOW SOUTHERN FLYER

I am jealous of that cwc. I really want to find one. Love the lines of that frame.
Good luck buddy!

Thanks guys.
I've started chem stripping the frame and fenders today. The bike is already starting to dictate to me the direction it'll be going in.

I'm stoked about this build! It will be the opposite of the YZ-24. No technical stuff, just use what you've got and make it RAT!!! :!: :!: :!:

Pictures coming soon. :D

Got the frame and fenders mostly stripped today.
Found a cool surprise on the fenders. See of you spot it... :)
100_5319_zps0c29826d.jpg

You can see the frame in the background. It's green now.
100_5318_zps7a8fb983.jpg

Didn't get an after picture yet. I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Here's the pallet of parts. I don't have an extensive parts stash like some others on here (think Kingfish :mrgreen: ) so I'll be able to narrow it down pretty quickly! The tan saddle will most likely make the cut. I found it at a thrift store for $1 on the same day that I switched bikes. I took that as a conformation of making the right call. :D

I stopped the paint stripping on the frame when it reached the original green. I wanted to think about keeping it before it was gone forever. What do ya'll think?

100_5324_zps57173066.jpg

I like the middle seat!

BTW, I think you were right to keep the same thread. It is, after all, a record of your build off bike. You can just start a new thread in the builds section for the Yamaha, with a link to this thread for people who want to catch the beginning of the build.

Latest posts

Back