YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ......NOW SOUTHERN FLYER (seat post mounted)

Rockit! said:
I got so distracted by the bolts I didn't even notice how nicely you tucked that seat down over the fender. Looks killer!
Thanks Rockit! Thats why I decided on that saddle. If you look close you'll notice that the metal rises up between the springs allowing it to straddle the fender and keep it low!
100_5359_zps29ec7781.jpg

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ......NOW SOUTHERN FLYER (fend 'r foe?)

Ran up on a snag today. It seems that the fenders must have come from something other than a CWC or possibly a very different model.

For some reason the rear fender works fine, but the front is a different story. When I tried to assemble the front end, the braces would not go into place. The only way that they would go over the axel was if I mounted the wheel all the way out to the very tip of the fork and then forced the braces into place. Even by doing that, it took way too much pressure to make it work. I even mounted it on Old Glory's springer and got the same result.

Here's a picture of the braces in the relaxed position...
100_5373_zps0bea0318.jpg

Close up...
100_5372_zps99c9b86b.jpg

I'm working on a solution that involves modifying the drop outs on the fork. I'm also considering extra holes in the braces but that's a last resort.

Anyone else have a suggestion? :idea: :?:

I don't know if I would mess with extending the drop outs. It seems like a simple solution would be to to get a 1-2 inch piece of thin flat stock. Round up the ends. Drill a hole in one end to slide over the wheel axle. Drill a hole in the other end for a bolt that holds the struts.

kingfish254 said:
I don't know if I would mess with extending the drop outs. It seems like a simple solution would be to to get a 1-2 inch piece of thin flat stock. Round up the ends. Drill a hole in one end to slide over the wheel axle. Drill a hole in the other end for a bolt that holds the struts.

I agree...simple, cheap, and you don't have to mod the original forks at all which is nice in the future.

Looking great :D have had mixed results with reshaping the ends on the fender braces good luck!! Agree with Kingfish though

I suspect your 3 plate front fork was manufactured by the H.P. Snyder Company and isn't a CWC? (there's a difference in the length). Before you begin altering your braces, why not first look at swapping out the fork?

Kingfish and Vintagebikelover, yes that would be an easy fix, but with the tire pushed up into the fender more, rubbing the top of the braces starts to become an issue.

Jats and Fordsnake, I'm with you on not altering the braces. I've ruled that one out. I wish that I did have a longer fork, but with ruffly 3 weeks left, I don't have the luxury of trying to locate one. For some reason Walmart doesn't stock 60 year old bike parts. :roll:

dracothered, I'm very fortunate to have several nice shops that allow me to use there equipment. In addition to Unique Motorcars, there's a large sheet metal shop in town that pretty much lets me do as I please, there's a pro street rod business (Johnson's Hot Rod Shop) where I have access, and my cousin (that I always lean on for welding) has a street rod shop bigger than my house that I have my own key to. I've done work for all of them at different times and they trust me to use their stuff! I usually try not to impose on any of them, but when I really need to, it is an invaluable privilege!
Thanks for the compliment on the bike!

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ......NOW SOUTHERN FLYER (early mock up)

I must ask you, what did you use/do to strip the paint off of these parts?

The Renaissance Man said:
I used this paint stripper...
fc32a508-48d9-47f9-965a-d297850b8cb3_300.jpg

Then cleaned the stripper off with mineral spirits and mild steel wool.

I guess you shouldn't use water to remove it? Where can ya get mineral spirits?

That nude frame is a thing of beauty!

I just thought of another possible workaround on the fender. What if you sliced a rectangle out of the part of the fender that meets the top of the fork to sort of recess the fender a bit?

Vintagebikelover24 said:
The Renaissance Man said:
I used this paint stripper...
fc32a508-48d9-47f9-965a-d297850b8cb3_300.jpg

Then cleaned the stripper off with mineral spirits and mild steel wool.

I guess you shouldn't use water to remove it? Where can ya get mineral spirits?

Any paint store, you could also use kerosene, but it leaves it oily.
The first time I used this stuff, I tried to use water and couldn't understand why it was so difficult to clean. Then I read the instructions. :oops:

Okay thanks!

kingfish254 said:
That nude frame is a thing of beauty!

I just thought of another possible workaround on the fender. What if you sliced a rectangle out of the part of the fender that meets the top of the fork to sort of recess the fender a bit?

That had crossed my mind, but I don't want to do anything to mess up those fenders.
I had already been planning to alter the fork for truss rods anyway, so it's the most logical fix in my mind. That's not a very uncommon fork, so I'm not so concerned with preserving it as is.

As for the nude frame, I'm hoping to take it from this...
100_5367_zps87ffaabb.jpg

to something more like this...
tumblr_m291ob5QiU1qgvvn1o1_1280.jpg

The fenders are leading the way on the eventual finish.

Latest posts

Back