YELLow Belly!: DID NOT FINISH

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to try. I had some delays that were not avoidable and I have been a bit too generous lately so this might not make the deadline. I have before pics somewhere. This bike project is called YELLow Belly. I can say this bike will be the most detail conscious built I have ever done. It will set a never standard for me.

It features a a Felt Cruiselite frame, a Felt rims (a rarity for me,) Felt forks (a rarity for me,) RedLine seat post, drop stand, leather seat, 5 speed hub and I am going way past my usual count of 2 chrome pieces max which makes me crazy.

When I got this from Norm of Venice Motor Bikes it was nothing special and it didn't have a motor and it wasn't in Venice - it was just "bike."

I took it to WAAG Automotive in Van Nuys, CA and they stripped and shot it for me in the sweet hue of YELLow. I am hoping the wheel building will go smoothly. I don't know when the deadline is but if I miss it the wheels will be the reason. Other than that, I am ready to bolt, nut, and screw this thing into being.
e71d369bd83de22046ff615f7e59e917.jpg

4de4372c1fa066275a7328b556510215.jpg

9c0b2270fa535cc77352fc9ec8093dcf.jpg

865b4252bf775a5c7654fdb1b9e200b7.jpg

- by Gigmata

What color scheme are you planning on using? :p:113::banana:

Hey Get to work i need to see this one done ! By the way is the number shield a helmet face cover?
You've guessed her Chester! It is a bubble face shield from a motorcycle helmet. I asked my assistant to pick a number for the bike and she chose 88 so I ordered up some "88" decals for the build.

I had some time to work on the bike today. I opened my shiny new headset only to learn the cups are too small and yet they still work with a 1" steerer tube. Due to time constraints I will be painting the bearing cups and the carriage bolts for the forks.

The rims go the the wheelwright tomorrow. Unfortunately, he may have to order spokes for the rear which may cause the build not to meet the deadline with the intended wheel set. Progress wasn't entirely impeded. I added the sealed bottom bracket. Green goes nicely with the YELLow as well.
IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG
Originally the "dummy chain wheel" was to serve as a number plate but I now have other plans. Hopefully those can come to fruition as well.

IMG_2966.JPG

This will give you an idea of what I am going for. I have two chains to make this sucker work. When I sell it eventually it will come with another chain, normal sized sprocket, and handle bars & grips. Those are shiny & chrome Rant cranks with Wellgo pedals. The sweet seat post is from RedLine. I wish I could find 3 more. I would snatch them all up.

Looking forward to the dual drive!

All year long I have had multiple builds going at the same time. Now is no different. I am just waiting for the fabricator to mill me up a disc brake bracket for the rear wheel (the front wheel is on the back at the moment.)
79012851b04106bca1b15bc3376241ea.jpg

The blue klunker build, "Spinsane," had a former life as a Felt 1909.

- by Gigmata

I was able to make a little progress today. The bike is coming together. Unfortunately, the headset that was on YELLow Belly was rubbish. The headset I have to run on it now is made out of three very pricey headsets (pricey for headsets) but it works flawlessly. I had to switch the steerer tube as well.
38b7159a0f0b3bf732d5dcdd98313ed3.jpg

I still have to paint the steerer tube black, apply about 11 decals, wrap the handle bars, run the cables, set up the gears, set up the brakes, mount the drop stand, add the chains, clean the bike, photograph the bike and go to work both Sat & Sun.

- by Gigmata

It is nearly 2:30am and it does not take long to put together a bicycle. It take this long and longer to put together THIS bicycle.
406db04a84e9d318f47a06a6ab0ab226.jpg

I still have run the cables, set up the gears, add the decals, add the chains, wrap the bars, add more decals. Argh!

- by Gigmata

Time for bed. Still lots left to do. The stance with stand is nice. If I had it to do all over again I would run a 24" wheel up front. I do tend to have them laying around.
b9853b16647eae050fbe2f523b31b8ec.jpg

ce8b4d759509bed4e5b52f8345daf03d.jpg

8e4962036a14df7ad048fbf23a532306.jpg

eb31aba73a90ac2ab3b11b6871a7daf8.jpg

- by Gigmata

I have a few details that I want to use but I don't have time. This thing won't be ready in time to ride off into the sunset. YELLow Belly is DNF.

- by Gigmata

Latest posts

Back