Yard Ornament -7/31 AS GOOD AS IT'S GONNA GET!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Yard Ornament

i like the air cleaner knock off bolts as axle nuts. did you have to drill and tap them to fit? i tried to fit one on the seat clamp on my goodyear but the threads were too small. and nice stance!

Re: Yard Ornament

I bought those nuts years ago off ebay and they were made for bikes, at least that's how they were advertised. They were already tapped for 5/16 - 24. I had them on a 50's Hawthorne rider but thought they were perfect for this bike so I switched them.

Re: Yard Ornament - Updated 6/22

MY RATROD HAS A STIFFY!
DSCF1238.jpg

Possible H-Bars & Stem

Not sure yet if this is the direction I wanna go. Just trying em out.

DSCF1236.jpg

DSCF1237.jpg

Re: Yard Ornament - Paint Stripped!

Worked on removing the paint, took more steps than I expected. I initially tried sandblasting but it was going too slow so I resorted to spray-on stripper. That worked quite well. Used a scotchbrite pad and soapy water to remove any loose residue and then went back to the sandblast cabinet. I'll probably spray it with WD40 to keep the rust at bay until I'm ready to paint.
DSCF1240.jpg

With the paint stripper working
DSCF1241.jpg

Excess scraped off
DSCF1242.jpg

Clean and ready for paint

I might prime it instead of the WD40, just something to keep the rust off while I finish the mock up. Don't want to paint until all of the parts are fitted and adjusted

I would clear it right now! or Wd40 ? all metal with the bronzing on the joints makes a good look!

I'll second that, those joints look great.

Looks so cool stripped, nice bronze too :mrgreen:

leave it bare metal please that looks great

I appreciate all the encouragement and the suggestions to leave it natural, but I already have a plan for it so I guess I'm going to keep going that direction. I do like the look of the bare steel and the brazing so I'll probably go that way on my next build. I have a Twin-Flex frame that I sandblasted for a friend at the same time I did mine and that gave me some inspiration for my next build. I know some will be disappointed with the paint idea but I think in the end you'll like the result. We'll see! (If you don't like the finished project you can ..... me out then)

z-bikes said:
I appreciate all the encouragement and the suggestions to leave it natural, but I already have a plan for it so I guess I'm going to keep going that direction. I do like the look of the bare steel and the brazing so I'll probably go that way on my next build. I have a Twin-Flex frame that I sandblasted for a friend at the same time I did mine and that gave me some inspiration for my next build. I know some will be disappointed with the paint idea but I think in the end you'll like the result. We'll see!

I made the call! but i respect the acceptance of constructive criticism even more. Well done... The builder must follow there own gut feeling and that is Final.... Well payed! "On With The BUild!"

This bike was 5 bucks and pushing up daisies. A true rat ride. Look at it now. When ya finish ride by her hOuse and show her. This bike is HOTT!! Peace

You should be proud of bringing this one back to life, it was doomed for sure and you rescued it.
Feels really good when that happens, right?

Re: Yard Ornament - Making New fork Struts 6/29

Made some new fork struts today. I wanted the struts to be parallel with the fork legs and needed some additional length for tire to fork crown clearance. Started with some 1/2" SS tubing, flattened one end and drilled the bottom holes. After bending them the way I wanted I cut them to length and tapped the top end to 7/16 - 20.
DSCF1269.jpg

Made studs from 7/16 - 20 bolts by cutting off the head, turning down the unthreaded section to 3.8" and theading that to 3/8 - 16.
DSCF1270.jpg

Installed the studs into the ends of the new struts.
DSCF1271.jpg

Finished strut ready to mount.
DSCF1272.jpg

Couple of pix mocked up on the frame.
DSCF1273.jpg

DSCF1274.jpg

Rake angle is deceiving because the back of the frame is sitting on the floor.

this bike looks like it might go back to its home and ((( TeAr Up))) that flower bed! 8)

That front end is great. You've done a nice job on breathing life into this bike. I would have also liked to see you keep a unpainted frame, but it'll look beast with paint too. Keep up the good work.

Cheers Jonnie

Re: Yard Ornament - Lights Added 6/30

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Added a couple of Elgin Alien lights to the H-bars. Anybody got a spare lens laying around?
DSCF1275.jpg

DSCF1276.jpg

Latest posts

Back