Y'all eat hot peppers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I love me some Scotch Bonnets. Been making some wicked sauce out f those, among other things.

I tried to eat one of these Trinidad Scorpions the other day; that thing put such a dang hurtin' on me. Just too much for me. So, of course i saved the seeds so i can grow a mess of'm next year. :crazy:

Wife brought home like a 44oz cup in a bag of them from work last year. They have all kinds of gardens there. I opened the bag and said no way. Brought them To work and gave them to a Guatemalan guy. He said yeah no problem. Took him a week or 2 to use them up. Said they put one In a soup and he was choking eating the soup.
I forget which ones they were.

Wife brought home like a 44oz cup in a bag of them from work last year. They have all kinds of gardens there. I opened the bag and said no way. Brought them To work and gave them to a Guatemalan guy. He said yeah no problem. Took him a week or 2 to use them up. Said they put one In a soup and he was choking eating the soup.
I forget which ones they were.

Sounds, to me, like they were the good kind.
dancingpepper.gif

Just whipped up a big ol' batch of hot sauce. Wanted a lot of smoke, but balanced with a lot of heat. Ended up using a lot of chipotles (3 different varieties) with 4 Ghost peppers and 2 yella Trinidad Scorpions, to amp up the heat factor. Of course, a lot of garlic, some onion, vinegar, water, salt, sugar, cocoa, closes, cumin.... i think it's gonna be killer. (Sauce from dry/smoked peppers never tastes right until day 2 or day 3...)

Another pepperhead checkin in! Hottest pepper was a single one that grew from a plant from seed, touted to be the hottest 15 years ago or so.

808, your recipe sounds awesome! We have a local farm market here with some habanero sauce you gotta try, some of the best ive had. Sounds like its right up your allley! http://www.stoversupic.com/index.html/photo-gallery.php#specialty

Everything they have is awesome if you see anything else that sounds good, its prolly better than you hoped! :D

That's a pretty cool little list they got going there, @CrazyDave ... i might have to check out that hott sauce, if i ever eat/give away all the stuff from my last batch! I made one last week (my one job has been closed for 10 days....we do a "vacation" every August, but i still work my FT job, so no Vacation for me right now LOL) so i've been making some experimental stuff, and giving a lot away over FB. My last "Hab" sauce was my usual Hab-sauce recipe (Habaneros, roasted onions, carrots, & garlic, h2o, vinegar, sugar, salt, pumpkin seeds, coriander seeds, toasted cumin, lime juice...think that's it....oh yeah, & cloves) but i had just got a box of other peppers in so, in addition to the Habs, i tossed in some Bahamian Goat peppers, Peach Congo Chiles, Hungarian Wax peppers, and 3 different types of Scotch Bonnets (red Foodarama Bonnets, some yella Scotch Bonnets I bought at the world-famous {for Scotch Bonnets} Trenton Farmer's Market {google "TFM Scotch Bonnet"}, and a little-known strain called the P.Dreadie Scotch Bonnet, propagated by a now-departed chile and Reggae enthusiast from Texas)... Has lots of bite, but the sweetness from the carrots kinda provides a balance, plus there's a lot of complexity from the citrus and the various spices i toss in there. I'm not even sure if i can taste the pumpkin seeds, but ppl act all impressed by'm, so i keep adding them anyways.

I'm a huge fan of decent Farmer's Markets, and you seem to have a good one. (I like the Trenton one, but that's about 35minutes on the interstate to get there; the ones closer to home kinda suck, sadly...) Definitely want to try my hand at making pepper jam and/or jelly soon. I'm about to buy a house with a yard, so I'm definitely gonna be growing as many peppers as I can.

Peach jalapeno anything is awesome... I do a ham at Thanksgiving like that. It's more popular than the turkey. I can't hang with super hot peppers, but I do love sweet peppers.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

@ 808, if ya wanna sell or trade for some stuff local to me let me know :D Always like a new hot sauce. :D

Another pepper head here, love some hot peppers but can't do the really spicy stuff anymore, I tried the new Carolina reaper pepper and paid the price. Felt like lighting yourself on fire then 20 minutes later giving birth to a pineapple... backwards. Never again.

dang....that ran through you pretty quick! I haven't tried a Reaper yet, and i'm not itching to. I'm good with stuff about half that hot.... Fataliis, Nagas, Red Savina, etc...

Let me find a link but locally there is a lady who makes and sells, habanero cashew brittle. I have been told it's the best stuff going.......

I like hot peppers, but being from the north all my life I didn't get weaned on them. When I was growing up salt and pepper were considered exotic spices. My tolerance for spicy hot curries, Thai food, Korean food and cayenne dark chocolate is slowly increasing. I was stationed in San Antonio in the 1960s for awhile and grew to like jalapeños, on things, never as a main dish. I never even saw a canned jalapeño when I was growing up. The grocery stores up here didn't have them, or any other ethnic foods for that matter. I also like habanero powder sprinkled sparingly. Both these peppers have a nice flavor to complement the hotness. Back when I was in my 30s almost no one would eat green bell peppers either as those were considered too spicy (I kid you not). I have three 70+ year old friends that drink, smoke, chew or all 3. They seem to have the taste buds of 90 year old alcoholics and have had these buds for at least 30 years. Two of them were eating ghost peppers like candy at deer camp. Wow! that would make me sick. They make chili so hot is is illegal, pretty sure the 7 different kinds of peppers they use in it are also illegal. They left their chili at camp and the rest of us would fill the pot up with beans and tomatoes after each bowel to try and make it less hot. Didn't appear to make any difference. I froze it and will continue to bring it back to camp for deer season for the next several years. By then it should taste normal. It can't go bad.

I like a nice jalapeño every now and then and love to use Texas Pete on my fried chicken. Hatch, NM green chili's I use to make chicken cheese enchiladas are .... good as well as grilled jalapeño's stuffed with cream cheese wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar.

Latest posts

Back