• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Bendix kickback axle (2 speed)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh, no. Blue bands = 28 hole for 20 inch. Red and Yellow bands hubs = 36 hole for 24, 26 inch rims.

yes. just the axle he means I think. the bolt itself and i have 2 blue band 36 holers and ive seen 28 hole yellow bands soooo. lol :p I believe he also asked at the cabe and I too thought he meant "Hub" but I think he means axle. heck I dunno hahaha

Go to this page for clarification http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html

There were 3 types of Automatic Hubs, identified by band color: Red, Yellow, and Blue bands. The Red Band was made 1960-1964. The Yellow and Blue Bands were made 1965-1969.

The red and yellow band hubs have a low gear: 1 sprocket turn for .67 hub turn to go up hills easier. High gear is 1:1. The hubs would go on bikes with 26" and 24" wheels. They were also used on bikes with 20" wheels and 46-teeth sprockets. The red and yellow hubs have some different parts in them that won't interchange. Check the diagram for the different brake parts of each hub.

The blue band has 1:1 low gear, and high is overdrive: 1 sprocket turn for 1.5 hub turn. These are used on bikes with 20" wheels and 36-teeth sprockets to go further on flat roads.

Blue and yellow, same axle. Red band axle is different. I think I have a few red band axles. Gary
huh, Id like to know the difference, I had all three side by side and they looked the same to me.....not doubting you, just curious what I missed.

Hi guys, sorry, been at work all day. yes, I just need an axle. Mine's bent. It's a red band. Thanks for all the info. I'm learning stuff!
I'll PM those of you with parts available but I have to go make dinner for the kids right now and then maybe consume a frosty beverage. Loong day!

huh, Id like to know the difference, I had all three side by side and they looked the same to me.....not doubting you, just curious what I missed.

I'll have to go down in the shop and look again, but IIRC the red band is not threaded continuous. Two sets of threads with unthreaded area in the middle. Yellow and blue are threaded all the way. A yellow or blue band axle will work on a red band but a red band axle won't work on blue or yellow. Clear as mud? Gary

No they are not all the same, Good detailed info here from Bendix....http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html
color me stupid, I still don't see the difference. Im gonna have to tear two of those back apart to find out I guess. Length is the same (in all of em I got...8 or so) and when i had three on the bench they looked identical....I suppose one could of been traded out long ago or I missed something.

color me stupid, I still don't see the difference. Im gonna have to tear two of those back apart to find out I guess. Length is the same (in all of em I got...8 or so) and when i had three on the bench they looked identical....I suppose one could of been traded out long ago or I missed something.
All I was saying is all three hubs are different, I am not sure about the axles.

No offense meant or taken :D I simply would like to know the difference in axles as I had one of each color tore down and noticed no difference, in fact i may have interchanged em. I went out this morning and inspected a yellow, blue and red band that are assembled and again noticed no difference. I guess i need to take my butt out and tear two down that I have not previously tore down and find out for myself, I'm like that. :p

No offense meant or taken :D I simply would like to know the difference in axles as I had one of each color tore down and noticed no difference, in fact i may have interchanged em. I went out this morning and inspected a yellow, blue and red band that are assembled and again noticed no difference. I guess i need to take my butt out and tear two down that I have not previously tore down and find out for myself, I'm like that. :p

Blue and yellow have threads from one end to the other. The red has two sets of threads that don't connect. If your red has continuous threads, it's been replaced at some point with a yellow or blue axle. Gary

Latest posts

Back