Would these be consider Strandies?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unsure how to classify my Schwinn Cruiser or my Magna MTB converted to a cruiser they are both geared. The Magna was found in a junk pile painted except the chain stays, once I started stripping paint discovered chrome underneath, I am a sucker for chrome. Added fork and bullnose bars 3 pcs crank rides like a dream, super cheap build. The Schwinn is Original I just reconditioned it is my smoothest most comfortable ride. So our these Strandies cruiser or ?
20170105_180926.jpg
20170105_180739.jpg
?

I've adopted 'urban bombers' for these types of bikes...

I think there is a lot of crossover on what counts as klunker, bmx cruiser, and strandie. For me, I've decided that the difference between klunker and old school bmx cruiser is era based...klunkers are old cruisers that adapted a lot of motorcycle parts to make them more off-roadable, bmx cruisers used bmx parts to make them more off-roadable (or more, on-trackable).

I see strandies as a subset of old school bmx cruiser. The only real differences I've been able to come up with, is that strandies can run a standard beach cruiser bar...and I think your required to wear Van's when you ride a strandie, but I'm not sure on that one :bigsmile:

I like the magna...and I don't every think I've said that before :thumbsup:,
Jason

Not considered a strandie , estate sale find (not to post off the topic or title) the bike had some dry rotted 90's HWA Fong cruiser tires (replaced with thickslick 2.0's) , 2nd owner of this bike it's a 83 Ross Mt Hood ATB , changed the fork and brakes and saddle and grips and back rim other than that it's all og , needed some cleaning and lubing and some TLC , hope yall like it I've had it since October of last year replacing things as needed and repairs ✌

Attachments

• 20170102_160256-1.jpg
    20170102_160256-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 355
  • 20170101_213903-1.jpg
    20170101_213903-1.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 351
  • yimg-962444309-9002-1922151053-1.jpg
    yimg-962444309-9002-1922151053-1.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 20161212_133808-1-1.jpg
    20161212_133808-1-1.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 346
My bike being a 80's ATB has BMX parts og on it , hubs and rims and pedals and crankset even the frame geometry mix of it all lol , my theory is if I'm wrong is that early MTB'S was a mix of a beach cruiser/BMX /roadbike? Checked the factory parts list for my bike on mombat and Ross used BMX parts on there bikes , the Force one and then the Mt Hood in 83 as mine is

But it could be considered a BMX cruiser due to components? I think a frame design would dictate the type of bike, I believe BMX cruiser must have vertical drop out that opens to the rear?View attachment 42106
I don't think the dropouts are a consideration. I would call that (beautiful) bike a bmx cruiser, but it is just as easily a strandie...

It would be like someone trying to declare if a mustang is a muscle car or a pony car. Well, yes...its both.

If you were to put some sweeping beach cruiser bars on it and/or a plushy seat on it, I would consider it more of a strandie.

Silly labels...they just murk up the waters :bigsmile:,
Jason

My bike being a 80's ATB has BMX parts og on it , hubs and rims and pedals and crankset even the frame geometry mix of it all lol , my theory is if I'm wrong is that early MTB'S was a mix of a beach cruiser/BMX /roadbike? Checked the factory parts list for my bike on mombat and Ross used BMX parts on there bikes , the Force one and then the Mt Hood in 83 as mine is
Yes to the conglomeration of cruiser/bmx/roadbike parts in early MTBs. But, I think there was a merging of two different paths. The OG Klunker guys were combining vintage bicycle, motorcycle, and road bike parts to create the proto-MTB...then started building/modifying their own frames and components (the start of the Fisher, Breezer, Ritchey, etc businesses). After the early MTB companies started taking off, bmx and other established companies decided they had to 'get some of that!'...and they already had off road parts (bmx) that they leveraged to get into the game.

My take...not official, or necessarily even correct :confused:,
Jason

I've seen klunkers and early MTB'S, there is a collector here locally he's been riding trails since the 70's, seen Breezers and Richeys and Fishers etc...... , and I concour with your post rusty , little john and cook bros racing and redline (cranks mainly) and bullseye hubs (cook bros) , had parts on early klunkers and MTB'S so BMX had a influence on the sport if you ask me

Have to add this , Ross had the first MTB racing team the Ross Indians and was the first company to mass produced MTB'S , breezers (10 made in 79 and 9 of them went to his friends Kelly and fisher etc) and cost $1400 + lol , fishers and breezers was the first established companies for rich riders lol , my bike new was $499 back in 83 still costly if you ask me

Last edited:
And the bull moose handlebars ? Definitely strange but comfy and I know nitto and shimano (mime are shimano dated 83 og) and Richey made these bars . I look at them and I think it's more BMX design without the Quill stem a all in one unit and lite , anyone know the origin of the bars and design?

Ritchey was marketing bullmoose bars in 80/81. In the bmx world, Vector bars (integrated bars/stem) were 82.

Jason

EDIT:

Solid 1980 reference to the first bullmoose bars being made by Ritchey.

However...found that both Fisher and John Scott are attributed with the name:

1980, Gary coins the term "Bullmoose handlebar."

John Finley Scott called "Bullmoose" because they reminded him of antlers.

Last edited:
Thanks rusty , my bars every one asks to buy them or my bike in general lol , the guy at my local LBS persist on buying my bike (the hardcore MTBR and collector) he says you don't see to many survivor Ross MTB'S like mine

And he said Ross offered 2 different cranksets , a Sugino and a Tourney AD takagi mine is the takagi btw (dated may of 83) , in his opinion the takagi was better and more appealing to the eye and polishes up nice , and my og vintage shimano BMX pedals that still spin like new (PD-MX15) dated may of 83 , early shimano cranksets to me are very good quality if you ask me

Last edited:
So rusty , my next ?? Is what company made the best bull moose handlebars ? Nitto , shimano or Richey ? There all chro-moly and chrome except for some black sets I've seen on vintage Richey MTB'S and some new company is repopping them in titanium and are very expensive BTW ??

No idear...a lot of companies made them in the 80s, some still do. Just avoid the hi-ten ones :)

Note on vectors...I love the design, but...they would appear to shorten up the cockpit quite a bit...even the Haro ones don't have a lot of extension. The idea of not being able to adjust your bar location would probably drive me nuts, as well...I know I spend a bunch of time looking for the sweet spot when putting bmx bars on a bike :bigsmile:.

Jason

So I seen a forgotten beach cruiser today , red vintage murray Monterey was on the side of the road had been there a while and flat tires and rusted chain and dry cracked seat , and I rode home to return to pick it up and it was gone , would of been a good build bike to make into a bmx cruiser. .... , another time lol

Latest posts

Back