Worksman BMX- Finally Finished Pictures on Pg. 6

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Worksman BMX

You're using a quill stem, so I'm guessing you are putting this spacer towards the bottom of the steer tube to keep from interfering with the insertion depth of the quill.

I think about this because when I lengthened my first fork steer tube (by a few feet, for a tall bike) I didn't think about this and had the sleeve all the way up into the threaded top, I went to put in the stem and OOPS! Now when shortening/lengthening a steer tube I always leave plenty of room for the stem.

yoothgeye said:
You're using a quill stem, so I'm guessing you are putting this spacer towards the bottom of the steer tube to keep from interfering with the insertion depth of the quill.

I think about this because when I lengthened my first fork steer tube (by a few feet, for a tall bike) I didn't think about this and had the sleeve all the way up into the threaded top, I went to put in the stem and OOPS! Now when shortening/lengthening a steer tube I always leave plenty of room for the stem.

Yes you are correct, I plan on putting it 1.5" up from the race. That will still give me 4.5" above the sleeve which should be more than enough.

The key thing is the hole in the sleeve so it could drain water if the bike ever gets wet and to allow the bolt of the quill to drift into the sleeve assuming the quill rests on top of the sleeve in the fork.

It is a great piece, the fork should be strong. I inner sleeve my 1" threaded forks with a piece of black iron, not sure the size, but it fits snugly into the 1" and welds great. Someone on here said that on a 1 1/8" steerer that a piece of 1" steerer fits snugly into it for a sleeve, but none of these are as nice as the piece you have.

Your moving way faster than I would with a parts list that $pendy Migz :!: All your stuff comes out top notch, can't wait to see it all thrown together 8)

Downtube Graphics are killer by the way !!!

CCR said:
Your moving way faster than I would with a parts list that $pendy Migz :!: All your stuff comes out top notch, can't wait to see it all thrown together 8)

Downtube Graphics are killer by the way !!!

Trust me I did not think I would have been moving along this fast but I have run into some killer deals. I also sold some of the spare parts in my parts stash.

But I'm still far from being done.

Again as my luck would have it there was an error in my order. What I ordered was not what showed up now have to take this up with the company I ordered from.

Ever had a fork that was too short. This is a fix that will make it work, big thanks to slowriderz for machining the sleeve. It was a slight press fit which was great and also ensure its straight.

I plan on welding it in this weekend.

006hvr.jpg

009jaug.jpg

014ys.jpg

You might not believe it will but when you start welding ,it will pull like crazy. Make sure you
clamp it to a piece of angle iron to keep it straight and then tack it all sides before you weld.
Just a suggestion. :wink:

Uncle Stretch said:
You might not believe it will but when you start welding ,it will pull like crazy. Make sure you
clamp it to a piece of angle iron to keep it straight and then tack it all sides before you weld.
Just a suggestion. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up I was planning on tacking every 90 degrees staring at 0-180-90-270. DO you think that will work ?

MIGZ said:
Thanks for the heads up I was planning on tacking every 90 degrees staring at 0-180-90-270. DO you think that will work ?
Yep, that is the way to do it. You will still want the angle for when you do the welds between the tacks, it will still pull significantly.

Luke.

Yep Luke is right. You don't want to start welding all on one side even though you have it
tacked. Kinda jump from one side to the other and it will be straight when you finish.

Looks like the fork mod is very well thought out. Great work!

I'm guessing that it is a threaded fork, can't really tell because of the tape wrapped around it. If it is, and it has a key way, make sure that the key-way is in the correct orientation before you commit to welding!

Like I said, looks like you've thought everything through, but sometimes things can get over looked.

MIGZ said:
Thought I had replied what position should the key way be in?

in the rear, if your not running truss rods or a front rack with a keyed washer head tube mount it wont make a difference though. Even if you ever do you can just grind the tab off, in my opinoin its just there to help keep that kind of stuff straight, shouldnt matter if the headset it tight though.

Seat post clamp that was on back order has arrived along with some of the other parts. I still have quite a ways to go on this one but getting closer at having all the parts in.

031abi.jpg

Based on the advise from other on here below is what I'll use to keep the steer tube straight.

010trf.jpg

Looks like a killer build. I just found it now, and I wish I'd seen it before b/c I already knew the Porkchop fork wouldn't fit an INB without mods. Good luck on that steer tube!

I built a worksman with a lot of the same parts as you're using, including the Profile wedge stem, the slim jim clamp, etc. You didn't mention what headset you're using, but be aware that the porkchop fork takes a 27.0 crown race, so that might help you narrow down your search for the right headset. Also, remember that the worksman headtube is stupid-fat, with something like a 33mm ID. "BMX"-sized 1" threaded headsets, with the 32.5mm cups, will need to be shimmed.

I'll be following this uild; very nice so far.

Bicycle808 said:
Looks like a killer build. I just found it now, and I wish I'd seen it before b/c I already knew the Porkchop fork wouldn't fit an INB without mods. Good luck on that steer tube!

I built a worksman with a lot of the same parts as you're using, including the Profile wedge stem, the slim jim clamp, etc. You didn't mention what headset you're using, but be aware that the porkchop fork takes a 27.0 crown race, so that might help you narrow down your search for the right headset. Also, remember that the worksman headtube is stupid-fat, with something like a 33mm ID. "BMX"-sized 1" threaded headsets, with the 32.5mm cups, will need to be shimmed.

I'll be following this uild; very nice so far.

Funny you mention that, looks like you ran into the same issue as I did when I build my first worksman frame.

Check out my previous build I have pics of sanded shims.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49936&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Latest posts

Back