Workman frame build possibilty... Now "Workman RS"! All but Fini!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So "Ind-Chuckz" been pedaling these Workman frames in the "for sale" section like a candy pusher at an elementary school playground... and I went in for two of them! Well I've been trying to figure a game plan for either one of them and then I came across this:
http://www.core77.com/store/dutchmaster/default.asp

Not sure if anyone's seen this before, I believe it was a 2009 offering in typical NYC fashion, over weight, over priced, with a limited issue of 25 bikes, and done in conjunction with a "fancy smancy" designer website. The hardcore bike sites really didn't give it terrific reviews, of course they're the same folks that have made "fixie" a household flavor of the month.
Got the chain guard tabs coming off tomorrow, then off to my blaster guy... then the powder coater! It won't be a clone in as much as it'll be the inspirational concept. Not planning on the drum brakes up front, maybe "V" brakes if I end up with a Surly for that's already got the posts, and maybe a 3 speed coaster on the rear... just so the front brake lever doesn't get lonely on the bars.
Keep you updated as it progresses...

I remember when those bikes were being offered. Total rip-off, pricewise. 3 piece bmx cranks on a Worksman, however, are tasty.

It'd be cheaper to run a drum on the original fork than it would be to run v-brakes on a Surly fork. I got a few Worksman bikes with Sturmey-Archer front hubs; I've been really happy with them.

I remember when those bikes were being offered. Total rip-off, pricewise. 3 piece bmx cranks on a Worksman, however, are tasty.

It'd be cheaper to run a drum on the original fork than it would be to run v-brakes on a Surly fork. I got a few Worksman bikes with Sturmey-Archer front hubs; I've been really happy with them.
Hah! I just put a query up in the "How to" section for going to a 1 1/8" threadless conversion.
How is going to a SA drum brake cheaper than V brakes, or is that just in the case of the Surly fork price? I figured I could go V brake a lot cheaper than drum hubs, particularly if it's not a Surly fork...

Hah! I just put a query up in the "How to" section for going to a 1 1/8" threadless conversion.
How is going to a SA drum brake cheaper than V brakes, or is that just in the case of the Surly fork price? I figured I could go V brake a lot cheaper than drum hubs, particularly if it's not a Surly fork...

Yeah, basically, you can get the x-fd hub for cheaper than the cheapest Surly fork (413mm ATC canti-only 1x1), if we're talking about buying new. Starting from scratch, the x-fd hub will replace a front hub and the v-brake set, plus allow you to run the original fork. If you already have a rim-brake compatible front wheel, a v-brake, and a fork with canti-posts, then it'd be cheaper to go that route. Incidentally, it's easy enough to find a 1" threaded fork with canti posts and a 6.5" long steerer.... That'd be cheap, b/c you won't need to play with the threadless conversion...

I will say, I've run drums off road and they work really well once they're burned in, if they're set-up properly.... but they do get hot quickly, which causes them to fade. Not sure if you're building a street machine or something for the trails. For my commuter INB, I got the generator version of the Sturmey Drum hub (x-fdd), and that's a lot of parts in a single component.... front hub, front brake, and power for the lights, rolled into one. I think it was like $70.

PS-- I can help you with the threadless conversion, if needed. Just did it for my BO bike; running a 1.125" disc fork up front on an unmodified Worksman INB frame, using the stock headset cups...

Yeah, basically, you can get the x-fd hub for cheaper than the cheapest Surly fork (413mm ATC canti-only 1x1), if we're talking about buying new. Starting from scratch, the x-fd hub will replace a front hub and the v-brake set, plus allow you to run the original fork. If you already have a rim-brake compatible front wheel, a v-brake, and a fork with canti-posts, then it'd be cheaper to go that route. Incidentally, it's easy enough to find a 1" threaded fork with canti posts and a 6.5" long steerer.... That'd be cheap, b/c you won't need to play with the threadless conversion...

I will say, I've run drums off road and they work really well once they're burned in, if they're set-up properly.... but they do get hot quickly, which causes them to fade. Not sure if you're building a street machine or something for the trails. For my commuter INB, I got the generator version of the Sturmey Drum hub (x-fdd), and that's a lot of parts in a single component.... front hub, front brake, and power for the lights, rolled into one. I think it was like $70.
Well since I'm not looking to go vintage look or specific, and I really don't have anything committed beyond the frame tabs being removed and sand blasted, I'm up for anything at this point. I did see a SA front hub that's currently under $60... just get shaken at the thought of lacing up a front wheel! And as you mentioned staying away from the Surly will surely keep the price down a bit!
I'll PM you regarding the conversion then if I go that route, part of that was driven by the fact that I have a threadless head set that's just kind'a been setting around.

Thanks!

It's funny; I just traded a Worksman INB frameset for a Surly Instigator fork... Gonna run it on a Schwinn Heavy Duti.

Also, lacing up a wheel can be fun, if you don't rush. One word of advice: I built mine 3-cross, but due to the wide flange diameters, I'd build them 2-cross if i had to do it again.

Well I;m definitely NOT done asking for advice on this...
But it's getting there!
Decided on a name change, it's now gonna be the "Workman RS", working up a suitable decal for on the head. This was just a quick mock up to share, still waiting for a bunch of stuff, like all the headset, shifter mechanicals and trying to hold out for a deal on a Cardiff black saddle. I've firmly decided on going with the Sturmey Archer thumb shifter for Nexus 3 speed, which if I'm not mistaken should be designed for use with the Nexus 3 speed, or the product title is really, really misleading (anybody gonna be looking for a twist shifter for a 3 speed?)! That gear on the rear is gone, just there for the mock up... didn't want anybody thinking I was too traded:crazy: The three piece crank and bottom bracket actually was pretty easy to this point (Thanks Rob!), hopefully the chain alignment goes just as easy!? More to come, soon I hope...

Looking good! Love the colour choices so far! Black cranks might match the rims better though?

Luke.
I'm actually working on a black sprocket... those chrome cranks ain't going anywhere, a sprocket's cheaper!;)

Looking great! One of these days we'll have to do a gallery of bikes members have built from those frames Ind-chuckz has sold here. I built one back a few years ago.

Well I'd have to say as many of these as he's sold on here it's probably deserving.
I'm really surprised, in my hopping around the "WWW" for project ideas I've noticed what appears to be quite a closet following for these Worksman frames in various projects (Not just here). Several shops re purposing them for special limited build offerings. I dunno', classic lines, "Made in the good ole' USA"... and quite possibly still around with the cockroaches after the Nuclear Armageddon (Bomb Proof, that is!), I guess it's a hard combo to beat. Then add to the equation somebody storming every factory shut down to raid their inventory of bikes to be sold at rock bottom prices (That'd be Chuck!)... I guess it just works!

I think the main appeal of the Worksman INB is that it's bike that's still built like a real-deal old-timey bike, but available brand-new from the factory. There's a lot of bikes that have the overall look and low-tech feel, but a Worksman INB is actually stuck in the 1940s, tech and design-wise. The newer forks, obviously, are far more "modern", being late 70s tech...:crazy: But the fully brazed frame with the oversized 1" headtube, the rear-entry dropouts with the droopy 45degree angle, the gas pipe tubes, the geometry.... none of the other industrial bikes are offering anything so authentically old-school. Being the cheapest frame still built in the USA certainly helps, too.

I'm trying to get the guy at the LBS to buy 6 or 10 frames from Chuckz, so we can refinish them, build'm up semi-fancy, and see what kind of profit we'd make. I think that'd be a pretty good idea from a business standpoint---even if it isn't terribly profitable, it'd definitely get some attention and promote the shop. I know that I, for one, would stop and take a look if i saw a LBS with bikes like the Worksman RS and other customized INBs i've seen here on RRB parked out front....

I think the main appeal of the Worksman INB is that it's bike that's still built like a real-deal old-timey bike, but available brand-new from the factory. There's a lot of bikes that have the overall look and low-tech feel, but a Worksman INB is actually stuck in the 1940s, tech and design-wise. The newer forks, obviously, are far more "modern", being late 70s tech...:crazy: But the fully brazed frame with the oversized 1" headtube, the rear-entry dropouts with the droopy 45degree angle, the gas pipe tubes, the geometry.... none of the other industrial bikes are offering anything so authentically old-school. Being the cheapest frame still built in the USA certainly helps, too.

I'm trying to get the guy at the LBS to buy 6 or 10 frames from Chuckz, so we can refinish them, build'm up semi-fancy, and see what kind of profit we'd make. I think that'd be a pretty good idea from a business standpoint---even if it isn't terribly profitable, it'd definitely get some attention and promote the shop. I know that I, for one, would stop and take a look if i saw a LBS with bikes like the Worksman RS and other customized INBs i've seen here on RRB parked out front....
Hah, that's the funny thing (Profitability!), seems like the shops that are doing these limited run bikes based on Worksman frames are asking outrageous prices for them. Obviously the "Core 77" comes to mind at $2500, bot I also ran across "the Gentleman", which was a nice bike but $1200 to $1400, just a nice straight up fendered bicycle... it did have a Brook's tool bag and matching B17 on it:rolleyes:. Knowing what the frames run, even factory direct, doesn't seem like making a profit is too difficult!

Asking those prices and gettin' them are two different things. I wonder how many Core 77s sold at the $2500 price....

The LBS is trying to beak into the powdercoating gig. I figure half a dozen Chuckz frames will give them some practice on sandblasting, prepping, and laying powder. Build the bikes over the slow winter months, sell them at a fair price in the Spring... by then, we oughta have more Chuckz frames and the cycle can continue....

Even if ppl come in to look at the eye-caching neo-klunks and customized cruisers but buys a new bike instead....or brings their own bike in for a makeover.... it would be good for the shop. Something beyond the cookie-cutter new bikes that most shops seem to carry, and b/c industrial frames are never in short supply, there wouldn't be the stress involved with maintaining an inventory of actual collectible classics...

Also, a good opportunity for the newest shop-monkeys to hone their assembly skillz....

Latest posts

Back