Wonder Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guy/gals, A bit late to the party... but I am gonna try to get a bike done in time. I quick scanned the rules and I think this qualifies.
I used to build custom bike 15-20 years ago and been itching to build another one. Over the years I sold or gave away all but one of my bikes and most my parts except for my sprockets. So, I collect sprockets mainly, but recently picked up a turn of the century bike and one from the 1910's. Kinda been wanting to build something I can ride.

Last Friday, I acquired this for the sprocket, and I figured I would use it for my rider since it is pretty rough and no head badge. While researching the sprocket, I have found a couple references saying it is used on a Shapleigh and built by Davis Sewing machine Co. In my resaerch, I found another sprocket and crank in better shape (my sprocket is bent) and it arrived yesterday. I am working a deal on a Shapleigh Wonder head badge and some rat trap pedals that actually came from the frame I bought. I just bought a troxel seat in good condition, hoping it comes quick. And I scored the perfect seatpost for the Wonder Rat, but the post needs some work. I have some wheels, but I'm not sure which are going on the bike. Im thinking I will pit on a set of wood wheels with fixed gear hub for the time being, or I have modern wheels with rhyno rims, nexus 7 rear hub and Sturmy Archer drum front hub on it. Not sure about handlebars yet.

Some pics.

Welcome to the RRBBO8 Lightning Round

Thanks king fish. This one wont be too extravagant, just I nice simple Rat. I dont think I will paint it, I kinda like the look of it now, a little rusty, a little crusty, and hopefully fast.

Here is the new sprocket and crank. Been looking for one of these for years and I score two in a week. LOL

cool frame and sprocket can't wait to see this finished!!!

Troy

Beautiful bits n pieces !

Welcome to the party :wink:

Times a tickin now start wrenchin :mrgreen:

I have decided to scrap the idea of using my nexus rear wheel and drum front wheel in favor of a nice set of wood rims and fixed gear hub. Unfortunately, the set I want to use are not rideable due to rusted spokes, but I have a set of rideable wood wheels that are not as cool. I will be down to the wire cause I plan to fix the seatpost tomorrow (Friday) and assemble, ride and photo it on Sunday.

I have found the original well worn pedals to this bike and am picking up the head badge Saturday. Havent decided what to do about handlebars or stem yet, I have a couple options, mustache bars or crescent bars. I was going to buy a bullet carbide light for this bike, but have seen another bike using the exact same light in this build off, and after thinking about it a bit, I don't think it would have fit this bike anyway. My only concern with this build is the seatpost and how to fix it. The bend isn't too bad but the pipewrench marks have really chewed it up.

I am looking forward to getting it together and going for a spin. I mean heck, how often does one get to ride a bike with wood wheels and engine brakes (resistance pedaling).

Unfortunatly i dont have any pics, but I fixed the seatpost today. With a little torch and some pipe the post was straightened. ThenI chucked it in the lathe and turned it down about .002" wich was just a partial cleanup. Then sanded the insertable length to smooth it a bit. I then used an .812" reamer to clean up the inside of the frame so the post will slide in. Worked pretty well till the last 1", needed some persuation with a plastic mallet that last bit. Not what I wanted, but will do for the time being.

Mounted the wood rim wheels and a set of early handelbars and the troxel seat. Have a chain but still need to take a link out and I dont know where my chainbreaker is (Im in the middle of moving). Bike looking pretty darn cool.

Will have the pedals and probably the headbadge tomorrow.

I have the Wonder rat built and ridden. Posting in finished builds now.

Latest posts

Back