Winged Hawthorne // FINISHED with PICS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks supergoob! Work on Old Soul will continue tomorrow when I can get out to the shop.

I need to hit up my LBS for a longer front axle. With the Monark fork I'm using.. having the dropouts on the inside of the fork it's a tight squeeze with my wheel. Add the speedometer gear and it becomes just too tight. Moving the dropouts to the outside of the fork works much better with the use of a few washers to take up some excess space. The down side is that the axle nuts are now only grabbing about two-three threads of the axle. So I'll pick up an axle thats about 1/2-5/8" longer.

Justin....dude, that winged tank will look awesome. I wonder what other common chainguards could be forged into a tank?!? Hmmmmmm? :mrgreen:

Hey thanks Terry!! Wings are cool. 8)

I didn't get nearly enough done on my days off! I learned that working with stainless steel sheet metal is WAY different than regular sheet metal. It took pretty much all day Wednesday to get the six tank plates cut and shaped. I think the end result will be worth it though.

I don't have a band saw, which would have worked great to cut these.. I tried a pneumatic saw but the SS would eat blades after a couple inches. Tried using a die grinder but I wasn't happy with that process either. In the end I just roughly chewed through the metal using tin snips then I'd finish shaping them with a couple different grinders.
In this pic I had just finished the first one and rough cut the second. You can see the shape scribed into the blue dye.
IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

I need to get the holes drilled for mounting now..
IMG_2893.jpg

The rest of my time was spent getting my 67 bug body out to American Stripping in Sac to be blasted and epoxy primed. :)
485828_472748306129428_121392605_n.jpg

Looking sharp.
I bet if you hammered over the botom and curved edge just a little it would give a subtle 3D effect to them too. Just an idea.
Can't wait to see it on.

Old Soul has been at rest for far too long it seems. I promised my son's mamma I'd build her a bike. Well, I'm heading to San Diego next week for his 8th grade grad... aaaand to deliver on my promise.
That side build has been taking up my "build time" lately. It's coming out real nice though. I painted it yesterday and it'll get assembled this Saturday. It's a 1960ish girls Murray built Higgins which is now wearing a beautiful shiny coat of Plum Crazy Purple. I'll put up a pic when its done... then I'll get back on to building Old Soul!

Two weeks man! C'mon, i'm dying to see some progress! Just giving you a hard time, but seriously, i would love to see some stuff coming together, you are one of my favorite builders. As JakeSensi would say, GTB!!

Any chance that Old Soul is going to wake from his slumber any time soon?

YESSS! (yyyaaaaawwwnnnnn) :lol:

Its been a busy summer for me and Old Soul has had to take a back seat, unfortunately. Well, today is the day I blow the dust and cobwebs off the parts and see if I can push for the finish line. There's still time!!

Critter1 said:
YESSS! (yyyaaaaawwwnnnnn) :lol:

Its been a busy summer for me and Old Soul has had to take a back seat, unfortunately. Well, today is the day I blow the dust and cobwebs off the parts and see if I can push for the finish line. There's still time!!

Any chance you'll be at the Shiny Side Up show in San Jose?

Hey Critter, did you ever get around to tinkering on Old Soul any more?

What a great build!
Thanks for the update!

Latest posts

Back