Winged Hawthorne // FINISHED with PICS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm proud to be back in the Build Off again this year, and I'm looking forward to some amazing builds. The talent pool seems to get deeper and deeper every year.

I picked up this prewar Hawthorne during last years build off and a certain member (I won't mention any names but his initials are kingfish.) said, "Nice score Crit! But can you keep your hands off of it unil next year?????"
Well I am happy to report that I was able to keep my hands off of it. Other than tearing it down, it remains untouched.

So here we are.. I happen to be in the middle of another build.. I'm building a 67 Cal-Look bug... so my plan is to build this bike to match it. It'll have the same paint (dove gray), seat upholstery (red), wheel color (black & shiny) and hopefully the same overall cool factor. It will most definitely have a springer fork too!

I'm calling this build "Old Soul" because thats exactly what all these bikes have... they're old souls given a new lease on life by us. Unlike last years build where it turned out anything but lackluster, the name "Old Soul" should suit the bike proudly.

Here he is, standing by:
IMG_2740.jpg

He's lived a hard life...
IMG_2736.jpg

...and was used as a get-away bike at some point. 8)
IMG_2733.jpg

Picked up a set of these nice double walled, HD spoked aluminum wheels from our very own ind-chuckz
IMG_2753.jpg

...and a pile of thoughts.
IMG_2747.jpg

Great parts Critter. Are you fabbing your own springer this year with that fork ??? Loved the build last year and looking forward to more :)

CCR said:
Great parts Critter. Are you fabbing your own springer this year with that fork ??? Loved the build last year and looking forward to more :)
Thanks Jeremy! I might try to fab a springer if I have time.. but for now I'm thinking this:

monarkforks.jpg

..and these if I stray away from the skip-tooth thoughts.
alloy-cranks.png

Glad you kept your hands off it and saved it. Looking forward to another top notch build.
Good luck.

First stop... Hardware store. This is my favorite place to go when I start a build. I've never been able to build a bike without some new hardware. Just makes it all so much easier.

For those of you in the Sac area that don't know, Emigh's Ace Hardware has the BEST, cleanest and overall largest selection of hardware in the area. So now you know. :)
suza9ata.jpg

Just a small section.
8y8e4uta.jpg

Among the large bag of nuts & bolts I picked up are these stainless 6mm pan head bolts and cap nuts. They will eventually become my new dropout chain adjusters.
4enequ8u.jpg

I'm tuned into this build! :shock:

Those are a lot of tires! :mrgreen:

Well I walked out of the bike shop with a little more than intended.. I saw this Origin 8 track set up in the case and for some reason I just had to have it.. Hmm wonder why.. :?: I might swap out the chain ring with a Porkchop unit.
Also got a nice Shimano sealed BB and an adapter kit.
IMG_2782.jpg

My Persons seat is blasted and ready for paint and reupholstery. I have some red vinyl left over form my VW interior that i'll use to cover it.
IMG_2783.jpg

I thought this was kinda cool. Usually you'll see PAT PEND (for patent pending) on old parts. This kickstand says PAT APL, assuming its for "patent applied" for. What's the difference really..?
IMG_2732.jpg

Latest posts

Back