Wilbur & Orville Wright

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was watching Sunday Morning, the TV show that comes on every Sunday morning. they had a piece this morning on the Wright Brotheres. The ones that invented the first powered airplane. I didn't know that they got their start building bicycles. There were some shots of the shop, and the workshop area where they invented and built their inventions. I'm going to have to do some more instigating, but does anyone know how their bikes were badged? If at all? Maybe someone can give us a little more info.

There are only like 3 or 4 confirmed Wright Bros. bikes out there. They are pretty much the Holy Grail of antique bicycles.

I'm actually not sure if they badged their bikes. I know from pictures that they were the very common diamond frames, and looked very similar to the other bikes out there.

Fyi on the Wright brothers. There is some debate on them being the first powered flight. Their important contribution is their understanding and development of the flight controls.

I teach aviation maintenance for a very large aerospace company that got their start manufacturing propellers. My training center is an old 1930s USO theater/dance hall. Apparently, our origional Service Manager was huge in very early aviation (he was the official timer for Lindbergs initial intercontintel flight) and as a gift, he received a piece of the origional Wright Flyer that we display on a wall dedicated to this person. Just a small piece but so cool I love showing our customers
Barto

You can actually see their shop which was moved to the Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI. They say the French were working on flight at the same time as the Wright Bros.

I frequent Greenfield Village and the Wright shop is my favorite. Moved there brick by brick. I believe one of the bicycles on display is an original Wright cycle. There are supposedly five known to exist.

5915258340_8f63e863cf_b.jpg

kCXliHb.jpg

VvDgNWP.jpg

4ux2zMv.jpg

I visited the village and shop years ago when my son lived in Dayton. It worth your time when in the area or worth a road trip stop. Also not too far from the Bicycle Museum of America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back