Why are modern BMX freehubs so freakin loud?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Casual racism and casual ableism in the same thread.

I'm so close to winning discrimination bingo. Someone make a derogatory wife joke!
Ricing means to rice a car, which is an acronym for race inspired cosmetic enhancement.

Not racial.

Sounds like a backronym to me. But I'll take you at your word that it has nothing to do with the term rice-burner.
I just googled that term. Has NOTHING to do with ricing a car or anything Japanese for that matter.

I just googled that term. Has NOTHING to do with ricing a car or anything Japanese for that matter.
You must have used the other google :bigsmile:
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 11.03.34 AM.png

I'm not sure why having obsessive tendencies is classified as discrimination. Please explain.
View attachment 146227
I could be wrong, but I don't believe you have clinical OCD. If you do, I apologize for saying so, and I'm sorry that it's something you have to deal with, it really sucks and it ruins lives.

What you described doesn't sound like repeatedly performing a ritualistic exercise in the fantastic belief that it can avert an extreme disaster scenario, usually destruction or death of self of a loved one.

What you described sounds like being a bit fussy. The problem being when you apply the term OCD to actions that are just a little uptight, or being kind of uncomfortable when things aren't a certain way it spreads a wrong and minimized idea of what people with a real, serious, and mostly incurable condition are having to deal with on a daily basis.

It's like burning your foot on a George Foreman grill and comparing yourself to someone in a wheelchair.
17-George-Foreman-Grill.jpg

I like to hear the freewheel clickin' when I'm coasting. Not crazy loud, but definitely clicking.
Silent operation would have me concerned about positive engagement, super loud would have me thinking it is time for a rebuild / re-grease. Bearing grease on the loose ball bearings. Sticky oil on the pawls (Harley Davidson 20W-50 motor oil, chainsaw bar oil, etc,)

Last edited:
I like to hear the freewheel clickin' when I'm coasting. Not crazy loud, but definitely clicking.
Silent operation would have me concerned about positive engagement, super loud would have me thinking it is time for a rebuild / re-grease.
Exactly! But obviously, someone has decided that “loud makes me proud”, so it’s “clackety-clackety-clackety...” all day LOL

I don't like the noise, but it's the thing now. The spandexer rides have these on their expensive bikes and the noise seems to be amplified by the plastic frames. In that case, they at least give some warning to people on the bike paths that they're treating a shared, mix-use path with wobbly kids and easily distracted dogs as a private raceway.

I loved it when my USAAF bike had the original hub as the old grease made it almost silent. Unfortunately, I thought it developed a tick and replaced it as it wasn't rebuildable. Even worse, that didn't solve the problem, so I can no longer stealth bomber people for nothing (I also replaced the bottom bracket to no effect, so I think it must be the crank arm as one did come off once. It feels tight, but there must be some play that occurs under hard torque. I'll just live with it until something breaks off entirely and go: Ah! Well, there's the problem.)

I'm pretty sure OCD is a spectrum with varying symptoms, like most things. At its extreme, it can be debilitating, but it's not like that for everyone and the afflicted have differing obsessions. My father had a mild case where he would compulsively wipe off every seat before he sat down, run his finger along things looking for dust, straighten the TV or paintings (even when they were already straight, just to return them to their original positioning), and probably some other things I can't remember. It wasn't debilitating for him, more a quirk that got drowned out by the alcoholism and being somewhere on the psychopath spectrum. (Now there's a term that brings up extreme assumptions, but he was not a horror movie antagonist. While not someone you'd want in your life, especially as a father or—my poor mother—a husband, he was just about the best he could be with the limitations of a very narrow range of humanity and I've met worse people who don't appear to have that excuse.)

Latest posts

Back