Whizzer motor or GC clone for a Raleigh DL-1?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I wanted to hear your opinions. I am starting a build using a Raleigh DL-1 as a basis. I intend to stretch the frame and add hub brakes. I'm not sure of the motor though. I have a 2000 Whizzer that I can use, but will need a rebuild soon. Or I can sell it and buy a Honda GC clone.

The clone has a lot of aftermarket parts

The Whizzer is something I already have.

My main goal is longevity. I want to have it run with minimal tinkering. I intend to use it 2-3 times per week (20 mile round trip to work). 3 large hills, so I want power. I would like to stay safe from traffic and have a faster take off from a light.

Any thoughts? Thank you for reading - Rob

If you feel the need, go for it. Make sure you stretch the frame with stout tubing. For take off and hill climbing, do have to do your homework on gear ratios. If you want gradual acceleration but hill climbing ability, small to tall ratio is the way to go. If you want a .... rocket like my rat rod, small ratios.

I'm with you dude. Creativity creates the best possibilities. Have fun and happy hunting.

love to see pics of what ya got! lots of ways to go, is the honda motor geared?

Latest posts

Back