Which (Vintage) Frame for Fix Geared Bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much most bikes.
moul_sto.jpeg

Except for the bikes with clamp in dropouts. Those are too brittle for fixed riding.
ssssssssssssssssssssssssss.JPG

My singlespeed using a converted cassette hub. I don't use it that much although it is comfortable. I put a bright green road fork on it and I also used a derailleur and converted it to a chain tensioner. Gonna have to take a pic of it tomorrow.
20200914_113839.jpg

Last edited:
My first one was made from an old Hercules three speed. Small frame but I wanted to practice track stands. Old track frames are best, but they are usually expensive. I have built three from track frames and am working on the fourth one. I’ve even used 1938 - 41 Schwinn New world frames to make a fixie. I converted the forward facing drops to track style on it.

My fixed gear.
View attachment 146302

My singlespeed using a converted cassette hub. I don't use it that much although it is comfortable. I put a bright green road fork on it and I also used a derailleur and converted it to a chain tensioner. Gonna have to take a pic of it tomorrow.
View attachment 146305
Again, nice bars! How does that do for quick rides and pushing on dirt or gravel roads? I can’t really ride anything with really skinny tires, because any ride I do has at least a mile or two off the pavement. Usually firm, but sometimes the sand is soft.

Again, nice bars! How does that do for quick rides and pushing on dirt or gravel roads? I can’t really ride anything with really skinny tires, because any ride I do has at least a mile or two off the pavement. Usually firm, but sometimes the sand is soft.
They feel like drop bars when riding a straight line, but it feels like flat bars kinda when steering.

I like the biopace on my fixed gear.
Haven’t had any problems. I wouldn’t mind trying other sizes.
It’s a 46, a 42 would be cool, I could put it on the same bike. It has a Dingle in the back, so it would be totally messed up!
A fixed gear touring bike, running biopace with 2 gears, on 700cx 35 tires.
If you count the other side of the hub, I guess there are 4.
There is a two speed BMX freewheel over there. So I have 42-46 chainrings.
A 17-21 Dingle. And a 16/ 20 freewheel. I can ride just about anywhere I want.

Second attempt. It worked, but I found out the frame was bent.

xfsdffsdfd.jpg

ssdfd.jpg

fewewe.jpg

Singlespeed Miyata tourer. This frame had a defect in the seat tube from the previous owner. It was also waaaaaaaay too small.
sdaSasdsd.jpg

dqWWEQ.jpg

weweqqwe.jpg

wwewe.jpg

Old Unknown Schwinn with cassette hub.
wewqewqe.jpg

eweqwe.jpg

dqwwqd.jpg

Fixed gear build 3. 1983 Schwinn Traveler. I got rid of the frame after a few months because I found out that it was really bent.
wdqwew.jpg

fdasfdsdfs.jpg

I also have a 1980s Diamondback MTB with the cassette wheel from the Silver Schwinn on it, but using an Orgin8 conversion kit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back