Which (Vintage) Frame for Fix Geared Bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm thinking about building one... It really is cycling in its purest form. Naturally, I can't build it from anything new, at least frame-wise. Has anyone here built a fixie from a vintage frame? What did you use? Got pictures?

You talking vintage cruiser or vintage road frame? I have an older French Motobecane Mirage Sport that I converted and love it. It's a singlespeed and not fixie but the concept is the same. Just did an old Raleigh Reliant for my fiance and she loves it. Schwinn frames are pretty popular too. Most older road frames will work but you need to make sure it has the horizontal track dropouts. If not you'll need to run a chain tensioner to keep to keep it tight (which is what I did with the Motobecane). Get yourself some good flip/flop wheels (Bell's bike shop in Phila has a good selection with free shipping, found on ebay) and make sure your chainline is straight and you're good to go. Depends on your local terrain, but being able to flip the rear to either a singlespeed setup or a different size cog can be a lifesaver. Your legs will thank you. I got lucky with my chainline and was able to take the big ring off the factory crankset, use the smaller ring on the inside of the arm and my chainline is just shy of perfect. Of course you can also take the time to find the correct bottom bracket and singlespeed crank to fit your bb shell. Sugino has some very well made sets and reasonable prices.

This is a bit of a ramble but hope it helps a little. :)
IMG_1983.jpg

None at my house but the local college town seems to favor Ralaigh Record frames, old 10 speed schwinn fixed conversions are all you see pop up on craigslist though. Lots of bikesdirect.com mercier bikes rolling around there too.

That's a great help, thanks for the info! I'm definitely talking vintage road frame. Which Schwinn frames are best? How old are we talking?

Yeah the Mercier Kilo is a VERY popular bike here too. bikesdirect.com pretty much has the market cornered as far as I'm concerned despite all the hate on a lot of forums. If I had to guess, I'd say Schwinn Continentals might be the most popular and maybe Raliegh Records second? Maybe 70's early 80's or so. Tough to say. Of course, I've seen pretty much any bike with horizontal dropouts been turned fixie or singlseed one way or another and like I said if it doesn't have the droupouts use a tensioner. Performance bike's house brand Forte makes a very cheap one or you can go a little more hardcore and get the one that Surly makes. Go psuedo track style and rock full on bullhorns and super deep V wheels, or go cafe style with the mustache handlbars and brooks saddles (generalizations of course!). If you haven't picked it up yet, bikeforms.net has A LOT of info there (check the singlespeed/fixed subforum or the vintage one) but the members tend to be a little more rough around the edges compared to over here. :D

GTV said:
I'm thinking about building one... It really is cycling in its purest form. Naturally, I can't build it from anything new, at least frame-wise. Has anyone here built a fixie from a vintage frame? What did you use? Got pictures?

I haven't done this, but from what I can see, the critical spec is a horizontal dropout. Secondly, if you want to sport original paint, you might want to look for frames without brazed on shifter mount lugs, cable mount lugs, etc. ...Ironically, the lower end products will have fewer of the "warts".

I do want original paint, black as always.

What's so critical about the horizontal dropouts?

GTV said:

Chain tension adjustment - there is no deraileur to hold tension. :) Just like your Schwinn hotrod. :D

GTV said:

Well, with black you can cut off the unwanted warts with a dremel and touch up the paint successfully.

dougfisk said:
GTV said:

Chain tension adjustment - there is no deraileur to hold tension. :) Just like your Schwinn hotrod. :D

Got it. I was thinking it had to be perfectly horizontal, as in to the ground. I get it now.

dougfisk said:
GTV said:

Some people even go "ghetto" and use an old rear derailleur to hold the tension. I didn't like the look so I went with something made for it. You can see mine are vertical dropouts so you can't tension the chain. And yes the usually ARE horizontal to the ground (but not always). :D I still actually do have the index shifters on the frame still as well as the nubs for the front derailleur, but I didn't want to screw with the paint so I just left them on. As doug said you could always grind them off and get it sodablasted and repainted if ya wanted to. For some reason I see alot of Schwinn Caliente's in black, prob just a coincidence though.

You can run just about any frame fixed; what you'll need in order to do it will vary depending on the frame you choose. The potential cost will vary, too. Best bet is to get a thing that has (as others have noted) horizontal dropouts, and that will take whatever size wheels you intend to use. You can eff with different hub configurations depending on rear spacing, and there's a lot of fun to be had with the joys of chainline :roll: . Easiest is to get a 120mm spaced frame, a regular trackhub, and a known crank/BB set-up that will achieve the 42mm chainline that is basically "Standard". This being ratrodbikes.com, I'd be surprised if that's what you end up doing. :lol:

Looking for a varsity or a continental might do you well: guaranteed 120mm horizontal dropouts, and you can run an OPC, and sidestep all of the BB spindle madness....

PS forgot to mention don't try to run a chain tensioner with a fixed gear; it won't work. I don't mean the tugs that mount to the axle on rear-facing dropouts; i mean the little idler pulley thing that some folks use to maintain tension on a singlespeed with vertical dropouts.

Latest posts

Back