Which Freewheel Tool? SR Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Going to use some wheels off an old Ross (1981?) MTB.
Which freewheel tool should I order to remove the 5-speed freewheel?
They are SR hubs

Trying to post pics, but the usual process doesn't seem to be working.
I've posted a bunch here using Dropbox ... anyone know what's up?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey just in case.....

When you figure it out......I may have one. I bought out a bike mechanic as have an extra set of those things for the most part.

....if you're interested....js

It doesn't have anything to do with which hubs you're running. Most every freewheel hub unless it's French or the metric side of a BMX flip/flop, or some very old imported bike with an obscure national standard, will be the same: brit-threaded 1 3/8" x 24tpi.... The required tool will come down to the brand and design of the freewheel itself; they differ mostly in how many prongs and what the size/spacing of those prongs are for each tool. Do you happen to know the brand of the freewheel? If not, those pics might come in handy.

Bigger question: do you intend to reuse the freewheel, or is it toast? Might be cheaper/easier to skip buying the right tool, and just remove it destructively.... and order the new freewheel and proper tool for the new freewheel at the same time.... But, yeah, if the freewheel works well and you want to save it, you'll want the proper tool...

Yeah, I know the hubs don't make a difference; just mentioning in case someone had
an early 80's Ross in their stash. I will replace the freewheel with a BMX type.
However, the current one is a 24 spline; which I've never seen before. If I do
find one, and it's not cheap, I may go the cut wheel route.

Thanks all

If the freewheel has the two little holes for a pin spanner on it, you should be able to use a pin spanner to spin the faceplate off, at which point you should be able to slide the sprockets, pawls, balls, etc off. If what's left has any flat surface, you might be able to use a crescent wrench to get a hold of it and then spin it off, lefty-loosey style.... it still might be hard anyway, with 35 years worth of galling to contend with, but that's still easier than dealing with chainwhips, weird esoteric tools, etc...

Here's a link to the Park Tool instructions... it works the same for a multispeed...
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/freewheel-destructive-removal#article-section-1

PS is this your freewheel?
attachment.php

If so, it's a Normandy or maybe a Maillard and there are no holes for pin spanners for convenient destructive removal. However, the tool you need is the Bicycle Research CT-3; there are some for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Res...r-Some-Normandy-Cogs-on-Schwinn-/231067088490
Sold out, but more info here:
http://www.bicycletool.com/normandymaillardfreewheeltool.aspx

HTH
-Rob

Thanks Bicycle808!!! No holes for spanner, etc. It's always something with this hobby. :)

BTW: With your image, all I see is "" .. which is the same thing I keep seeing when posting.
Posting this pic in case others can see it.
5SPD.jpg

Something is up on my end, with posting pics.

Edit:

Figured it out. I had AdBlocker running on the RRB domain.
Disabled, and now the pics are fine. Doh!!!

Yup > That's my freewheel (without made in France)!

Last edited:
Yeah, the co-op might save you $20, if they have the right tool on-hand.... And, the LBS might save you some headaches, if they have the right tool.... bt beware of unscrupulous bike shops who might booger up your hubs, trying to use some kludge-method instead of the proper tool....

When I run into town tomorrow, I'm gonna bring the wheel to my local shop.
They will have the tool there, since they work on old/new. I'll still order one
but I need the wheels ASAP for this build. Will still have to re-dish, etc.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Edit: And it's weird that my pics are showing up now .. good, but weird. :)

When the freewheel is junk, ive been using a 4" grinder with a cut off wheel. Start slicing slowly until you get thru the retaining ring, but dont get into the hub. Make 2 cuts, it all comes off. Then the remaining part can have 2 flats ground on it to clamp in a vice.

Saved some smasked knuckles that way.

If the freewheel has the two little holes for a pin spanner on it, you should be able to use a pin spanner to spin the faceplate off, at which point you should be able to slide the sprockets, pawls, balls, etc off. If what's left has any flat surface, you might be able to use a crescent wrench to get a hold of it and then spin it off, lefty-loosey style.... it still might be hard anyway, with 35 years worth of galling to contend with, but that's still easier than dealing with chainwhips, weird esoteric tools, etc...

Here's a link to the Park Tool instructions... it works the same for a multispeed...
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/freewheel-destructive-removal#article-section-1

once your down to the pawls just clamp it in a vise and spin the wheel off the inner race.

Latest posts

Back