When a crazy idea becomes reality

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a sweet sidecar so far! I'm curious as to your final vision and what type of bike it will be attached to. If you are building a cool streamlined bike, then aluminum rivets and polished tubing for the attachment, would be cool. If you are leaning towards a bit of a retro look then mixing metals would be awesome. I love the look of copper rivets alongside chrome and maybe a brass nose. Both looks cry out for a baremetal bike too. The streamliner, polished or chromed. The retro look could be flat or polished or paired with a vintage paint color, green or black, and some leather strapping. When it comes to design and color, there really is no limit. I doubt you need any of our input, this build is awesome so far.

Carl.

:) I'm quite happy to have input in this! The final look isn't set yet so good ideas can always be added :)

I'm a believer in the old saying of sticking to no more than 3 colours on a design. So I have ordered some aluminium dome head rivets for this. The bike has a dark grey frame ( I'll post a pic as soon as my photo-hosting site starts behaving itself!) , the polished aluminium body and the upholstery colour make up my 3 colours. I think that any more would make this messy and a bit visually fussy. I want it to really POP ! :)
The bikes wheels are 27" so I'm going with a 24" wheel for the sidecar. It's going to have a half circle enclosed mudgaurd so little fingers can't get stuck in the spokes ( make me shudder even thinking about that!)

Photobucket is back up again :)

20170428_173132_zps0hwpwsef.jpg

The spiky things are pins that hold the panels together. So far I have fixed in place the base and two strips. The top front and rear are yet to be trimmed and fixed into place.

oh and here's a shot showing an old tatty (Ferrari) wheel offered up!

20170428_173602_zpsbzbf9oo6.jpg

Just because..... :)

Photobucket is back up again :)

20170428_173132_zps0hwpwsef.jpg

The spiky things are pins that hold the panels together. So far I have fixed in place the base and two strips. The top front and rear are yet to be trimmed and fixed into place.

oh and here's a shot showing an old tatty (Ferrari) wheel offered up!

20170428_173602_zpsbzbf9oo6.jpg

Just because..... :)
I bet @LukeTheJoker could build a bike around that wheel.

I bet @LukeTheJoker could build a bike around that wheel.
I'll pay shipping to get it over here! Is that the Borbet style Ferrari wheel?
Someone was selling a set of Borbet wheels over here to suit a R32 Skyline, I went to work trying to figure out how to modify hubs to get them on my Datsun! Didn't happen, but would have been awesome, I also didn't have the $3000 asking price...

This build is awesome, your shop and tools are like my dream set up, but I know it would take years and years to get to your skill level!

Any action on this? Starving for updates here...

Starving eh? Lol

Well it's not all good news. I wasn't happy with the fit of one of the panels. It seemed that I'd welded the front and back parts at slightly the wrong angle which messed it up. The only solution was to cut it in half again and re-weld it :(
Typically it was the panel that I had polished as a sample. O well. It's got to be right!
I have now finished re-doing this panel and I am very pleased with the result. It fits much better.

So now I am working on the top panels.

The tube has arrived for the frame, so there is there is no stopping me now!.........only there is.........i keep getting distracted by my next car build.........must stay focused on the sidecar........

Been working on the front nose cone.

20170518_081121_zpsba2odx2g.jpg

First a bit of mathematics........"peace man!"

20170518_081239_zpsms6gujfv.jpg

The marks you can see are where shape was put in it with the English Wheel. This ensures that the shape will flow nicely into the rest of the sidecar. well thats the theory anyway! I fully expected to have to make this part several times before I got it right.........

20170518_081907_zps0vplmh2r.jpg

sometimes luck is on my side! :)

Thank you :)

I'm in Telford, Shropshire.

It's all about the polishing now :(
I've decided not to go for a mirror finish because, well, I just don't have the patience for that level of polishing! Lol
I'm going for a "bright satin" effect. Still shiny but not "see your face in it" shiny. It will help mask any imperfections in the body as well.
In other news, the rear tail light has arrived. You Americans may recognise it.......... I'll post a picture when I get home.
The wheel will be arriving next week hopefully. (It's not a Ferrari wheel )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back