Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch (MBBO CLASS 1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be a non modified build. Class 1, I think its called.
Doing a little horse trading with Double Nickle and I'll soon have a coppertone Stingray frame. I have a bunch of parts collecting dust from over the years and it's enough to build a beater with. I was originally going to toss my "GOODTIME CHARLIE" build in but spare time to do my own show quality builds is becoming scarce. This one I know I can knock out in a couple days.
Anyhow heres most of the parts(all I can do for now since I haven't got the frame yet):
uha7uvem.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

If I come across a 20" S2 thats a 36h I'll end up using a Bendix kickback and I may do some bars if I get enough down time. If not oh well, I don't care.
Wheelie-and-the-Chopper-Bunch-Cartoon-Character.jpg

Last edited:
Frame came in a few days ago but I haven't gotten around to posting pics(customers stuff and life has kept me from that).
So heres whats happened since then.
Tossed the rear wheel on and discovered this old guy came to me for a reason.
IMG_0685.jpg

He had a rough life and needed some one to make him functional instead of sending him to made into some foreign car.
IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

Twist and drop. Good thing I happen to work on cars that are in much worse shape for my 8-5.
20 minutes or so later.
IMG_0691.jpg

That one was still in progress so don't say isn't straight yet. I already know it wasn't then.
Right chain stay after some persuasion.
IMG_0695.jpg

Left chain stay.
IMG_0696.jpg

Right seat stay.
IMG_0697.jpg

Left seat stay.
IMG_0698.jpg

Yes I know they look off in those shots but they are dead on(yes, I measured them). I just took all the pics from the same spot on the right of the bike is why.
I was then left with what caused the problem.
IMG_0694.jpg

Tried going the easy route and just welding some pins and pulling but no dice.
IMG_0699.jpg

So onto surgery. Good thing I had a period correct stay from a donor fairlady lying about.
IMG_0701.jpg

Hey Burt! That hurts!
IMG_0703.jpg

Just about time for the skin grafting.
IMG_0704.jpg

Sorry, camera battery died so no pics for you!
After some welding and a quick file and sand.
IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

I have some some silver base and a bunch of yellow and orange candy laying around so I'll do a custom mix to get it close so I can seal and paint just the repair spot. This old guy earned his scars and I won't be doing a complete paint job on him! Just paint to keep the rust at bay on the repair and buff out the original paint. More when I get a break.

Nice work on that repair! Man I wish you lived closer!

Anyway... I love coppertone, and would really like to see the frame in full repainted glory. The old guy might like to have some full cosmetic refreshing to breath new life back into him. But... scars can be cool too.

this build could go a few ways,polish that chrome do a nice metalflake or candy coat,or go as Crash said.
leave those scars on cos you know chicks dig scars with polished chrome or dull chrome,i see your forks are shiny and wheels look good too,so I guessing polished is the go for chrome but both unpainted/painted would look good:banghead:

incredibly cool repair thanks for the Pics!!

Troy

Nah, this one will stay beat. I have a 90's repop that will get a bunch of this:
10321668_300405386785292_9186318552786829573_o.jpg

1098517_206370262855472_754152780_n.jpg

But I've always wanted a Coppertone Stingray and this one fits the bill.
Paint I can do anytime, original paint not so much.
Nothing really to add since I'm trying to get caught up on orders again except for this.
The frames arrived at my doorstep on Halloween and heres what I found when I looked up the serial #:
IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

Born on 6/66 and at my door on Halloween? (Cue theremin music) Hmmmmmmm......

Not to much of an update but its coming along.
IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Still need to repair, polish, and tweek a bunch of stuff but a few minutes a day and it'll be done before the deadline.
Looks like I'll have my whitewall slik after all! For less than $5 even.
IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

That was the 2nd test panel and that was a great success. Don't mind the crap masking, it was just to make sure the idea would work.
I don't have to worry about cracking or flaking since it isn't paint. I've never seen any paint work for any period of time on any tires.

IMG_0778.jpg

Got the idea from iRide Custom Bicycles and saw the actual result on Gary's bike on one of the 2nd Sat. rides about 7 years ago.
Theres a few threads on it on this site if you dig around.

Latest posts

Back