Wheel Truing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally planning for building a wheel truing stand.

I might as well make it handle most wheel sizes, up to and including the 29'ers.

I don't have a 29'er, so my question is this. How much clearance would I need to design in to handle a 29 in. wheel with an average tire mounted on the rim?

The simple one I used for a long time was a chain stay off an old bike. Mount it in
your vise and clamp a stick to one side to touch the rim and start truing. You don't
need a super whammie parks one to true a wheel. The stand doesn't do much , its
your ability that trues the wheel. Well that is my 2 cents. :wink:

Well I think your just wanting to know how much space you need for a 29"/700c tire to get trued in a home made stand right ?

the 29" mtb stuff is around 29/30" in diameter with a typical tire on it. You would just need the axle mounts on your stand to be able to pick it up off whatever surface your stand is on. If your axle mounts were 16" tall I would think that would give you plenty of options. I can measure my park ts2.2 stand if you like.

Thanks guys, and Jeremy that's about what I thought.
I have 700c wheels, but not 29'er.
I guess I could have gone to a bike shop and measured one :D

jerrykr said:

700c and 29'er tires have the same iso# (622) so the rims should be about the same size. Show off what you come up with :)

CCR said:
jerrykr said:

700c and 29'er tires have the same iso# (622) so the rims should be about the same size. Show off what you come up with :)
Thank you Jeremy. Appreciate learning that!

I've seen a lot of people talk about building their own, and I know you can build a rudimentary stand for next to no money, but I will throw this out there. Between lacing my own wheels for older bikes, and tuning up newer bikes to flip, I decided to go out and buy myself a wheel truing stand. I got one for around $60 from Performance Bike. Yes, you will have buyers remorse after unboxing it and looking at it, thinking " I can't believe I just spent that much money on this", but, truth be told, even the cheap ones are well designed, and have features that make it much easier to true any wheel you can throw at it. For instance, the one I got has arms that adjust in and out, to accommodate any wheel thickness, front or rear. Yes, you can make a stand out of a front fork, but you can't fit a wheel with a 7 speed freewheel in it. On the other hand, if you're lucky enough to have a frame with dropouts on it that you can cut up, you can use that, but you still need some sort of spacers to put in if you want to do a front wheel. The store bought ones have feeler gauges that swing right into place and are easy to adjust, and scales for runout that are easy to see. You will get tired of re-bending paper clips all the time eventually. If you have a dial caliper with a base you can use that, but if you don't you'll spend almost as much money on one of those.

I had real apprehension about dropping even $60 on one, but once I did, I use it all the time, and I don't ever have to go scrounging around the shop for some weird part to make it work. They are overpriced based on what it costs to produce one, but they really do the trick.

Oh, to answer your original question, a little over half of 29 inches...

That's it. I would agree with most of the comments on that page as well. It's not all metal and super sturdy, but it does the job and doesn't cost you a fortune. It has 15" of clearance, so it should handle most wheels.

One other thing I would spend a couple bucks on is a spoke wrench. Another thing that'll drive you crazy is trying to adjust spokes with a screwdriver. Spoke wrench is MUCH easier.

I fully agree, I have a red one.

one more question, how does that stand adjust the uprights for different width hubs?

I've got this one and I really like it easy to use and it folds up to store easily and not take up too much space.

I have an old 27" fork and a magnetic base, dial indicator set up, eye ball the left to right as you bring in the roundness, do not overtighten, it's simple.........Been building wheels since I was 12 years old and rarely do I start the second side correctly posistioned/clocked. Seems like more than 50% of the time...

jerrykr said:

after much "deciding" back and forth, I finally ordered this one based on all the positive reviews here.
I have no doubt that I could build one for about half cost, but sometimes it's just worth it to not have to spend the time and effort.

laced up a junk wheel yesterday. it's a mess, but I know what I did wrong.

This ebook taught me a lot the last couple of days.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

lots of people recommended that book. I suppose it is the "bible" of wheel building. thanks!

I chose the other one mainly because it has plans to build a truing stand... then I buy one... go figure. :?

It does have a really good description about wheel dishing, as well as an easy to understand way to accurately measure rims, hubs, etc. to get the numbers to plug into spoke calculators. I never realized that road bike wheels with gear cogs have 2 different lengths of spokes.

not a salesman for the book, but I'm liking it so far.

61xOcd5xlyL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

These are like $40 on Amazon. Anyone have one? any good?

Latest posts

Back