Wheel sets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the one set of wheels and picked up the other this weekend.the first set says Perry England was on a girls rollfast I picked up. The second set I picked up this weekend are sterny archer and a number S36. Is this a 3 speed hub? Any info would be appreciated trying to learn.
20190406_165512.jpg
20190406_165534.jpg
20190408_193030.jpg
20190408_193042(0).jpg

The Sturmey is a model S3C and, yes, it is/was a three-speed. This one looks to be missing the shifter components and indicator chain (see image).

0D88F331-8BC2-4FA2-93C4-0C9615473830.jpeg

The Perry is a basic single-speed coaster brake, but configured differently than the American counterparts, I understand. I have not examined one before, but have seen diagrams.

Last edited:
The Sturmey is a model S3C and, yes, it is/was a three-speed. This one looks to be missing the shifter components and indicator chain (see image).

0D88F331-8BC2-4FA2-93C4-0C9615473830.jpeg

The Perry is a basic single-speed coaster brake, but configured differently than the American counterparts, I understand. I have not examined one before, but have seen diagrams.
Thanks for the info.

View attachment 92267 So I'm taking this isn't the right shifter:headbang:

That's a Shimano shifter--the bellcrank depresses a plunger to accomplish shifting. On the Sturmey, a short flexible chain is used instead. This is what the set-up looks like on a bike. S-A parts are plentiful, but I'd want to know the hub internals are good before I spent much money on it.

1200px-Sturmey-Archer_SX3.jpg

That's a Shimano shifter--the bellcrank depresses a plunger to accomplish shifting. On the Sturmey, a short flexible chain is used instead. This is what the set-up looks like on a bike. S-A parts are plentiful, but I'd want to know the hub internals are good before I spent much money on it.

1200px-Sturmey-Archer_SX3.jpg
I can hold the brake arm and spin the sprocket and the wheel will spin then click like a free wheel. I have never worked on a three speed before so I'll be looking on the tube for videos

I noticed today that the rims said schwinn on them and that there was a noticeable difference between the size of rims and my other 26 inch rims. What might they have come off?
20190411_194012.jpg

Probably off something like a Schwinn Speedster or Collegiate (or Racer?, or ???).

Regardless, its a Schwinn propriety rim size (S6 in this case?)...so, you won't be able to find other tire widths that will fit, most likely. The rule of thumb is, if it has a fractional sized tire, you won't be able to fit a decimal sized tire on that rim (a 26 x 1 3/4" is incompatible with 26 x 1.75").

Probably off something like a Schwinn Speedster or Collegiate (or Racer?, or ???).

Regardless, its a Schwinn propriety rim size (S6 in this case?)...so, you won't be able to find other tire widths that will fit, most likely. The rule of thumb is, if it has a fractional sized tire, you won't be able to fit a decimal sized tire on that rim (a 26 x 1 3/4" is incompatible with 26 x 1.75").
Thanks

Brian,

The S3C brake is inadequate and there's a neutral gear between 2n'd and 3rd. Down shifts can be tricky to accomplish at times. Flex in the frame can alter cable tension causing the hub to go neutral and you definitely do not want that! Best place your efforts elsewhere IMO.
I've retired my S3C due to confidence.
Thanks I have a set of nexus 3 speed so I'll just run with those.

Latest posts

Back