Wheel dilemma.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I get these old HJC wheels with nice peak. But the rear has a free wheel. So where does brake pad make contact ro stop? ..... Unless the rear had an internal brake built in and was removed... But IDK...
349454df1e2fd966447250a99d14e446.jpg

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Wow. Are you sure Wildcat didn't nail it? With no practical way to attach brakes at the hub, the only solution I can come up with is this solid linkage arrangement. It pulls up, rather than pinching. I don't think I've ever seen a horseshoe used on the rear wheel, so maybe front-only...and marginal, at that.

I really love the look of the rim, but you may be stuck lacing in a different hub if you want to ride it in safety.

3st06rodbrakel.jpg

Whoops! Spoke too soon. That second linkage does, indeed, go to the rear, just astern of the bottom bracket. Still, the Flintstone method is probably just as effective.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
That does look like a "rod" brake wheel. Worst thing about them is that you need to keep the rim in perfect plane and no runout. If you dent it, it can actually toss you.

Latest posts

Back