"WHEATPENNY" 1934 Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the lipstick on the pig tonight, so to speak...things went from zero to sexy in a hurry, in my opinion:

wp006.jpg

wp008.jpg

Another random detail:

wp007.jpg

Hey Toeslider,
Digging the raw patina with copper accents thing you got going here.
I kind'a get what you were saying about the copper paint, but aren't you going to have the same issue with going the copper leaf route (as far as it being delicate)?
So I'm assuming you'll be clear coating the leaf, would you not get the same result in clearing the cheaper copper paints?

JMHO, I really like the copper leaf idea myself (except for the cost). Something to think about is if you are looking for that green copper oxidation patina at all, you won't get that with any copper colored paint short of simulating it with some airbrush work. I kind'a recall seeing somewhere how you can force that oxidation greening prematurely, I'll see if I can't find it... You might need a six pack of suds if you get what I'm saying;)

Michael's has a metallic copper for outdoors. If you check out my build thread i have a picture of the can.

If you are having issues with paint adhering try using krylon fusion. Its meant for plastic but forms a super bond with alot if materials. Its probably the most durable spray can stuff ive tried.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Love those bars!

A few more details to keep me relevant.

Cool little way I came across at the hardware store to mount my name plate:

wp009.jpg

It will look the same on both sides. It always bugs me to have a nut on one side and a bolt on the other, or a nice looking rivet on one side and the mangled up part on the back. These collars use a set screw, and coupled with a short length of 1/8" shaft, it ends up looking the same from side to side. Clamp it a little bit and tighten the set screws and it will hold everything together:

wp010.jpg

Here it is by itself so you can get a better idea. You are looking at the bottom:

wp011.jpg

This is still a work in progress, but an idea to dress up the truss rods a bit:

wp012.jpg

That's all for now. Got the frame stripped of all its parts so I can clear coat it with satin clear. The bearing cups all came out much easier than I thought they would. There was what looked like a half a pound of grease in the bottom bracket. Guess that's why it still spins after 80 years.

Clear coated the frame and fork today...rolled the dice between satin and semi-gloss, went with semi and am really happy with the way it came out. It looks like I upped the contrast in photoshop:

wp013.jpg

wp014.jpg

I needed to add an inch or so to the ends of the bars to use the grip treatment I wanted, so this is what I came up with:

wp015.jpg

wp016.jpg

Now the inside collar for the grip will go on far enough to get the outside one on. Done:

wp017.jpg

wp018.jpg

wp019.jpg

Really happy with the way it turned out. Can't wait to see them back mounted again.

It seems like everyone, including me, loves your handlebars. Very cool. What are they off from?

Latest posts

Back