What would you do? Offers and priority

Discussion in 'FORUM TALK' started by MonsterMetal, Sep 25, 2013.

  1. MonsterMetal

    MonsterMetal

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Messages:
    619
    Location:
    Seattle
    I had a deal this morning that I dont feel good about.

    I have a bike for sale and has several offers on it this morning. I had one for $350 + shipping and wrote back I would accept $450 shipped (which is basically $375 + shipping) Before I got a response back from that person I got another offer of $375 + shipping Which I accepted and wrote to the first person and said sorry, I accepted another offer all before receiving a reply from the first buyer. Within a few minutes I got a message back from the first guy saying he would do the $450 shipping, but at that point I had already told him sorry and accepted the second offer. Of course now the first guy is unhappy and probably thinks I screwed him and I don't feel good about it because I had countered. But I still think that since I had not got a reply I was within reason to accept another offer.


    So what do you think?
     
  2. sqrly

    sqrly

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Messages:
    41
    I think you should have given the first guy a minimum 12hrs and preferably 24hrs to reply to your counter offer. Especially since it was real close to his original offer. The second guy should have been told there was a similar offer pending and would be notified in 24hrs.

    If the second guy would have offered significantly more, then the rules change and the seller has to decide if money or dibs is better for the seller and reputation.

    At the end of the day, it wheeling and dealing. But the first guy should have dibs if he responded within 24hrs. Some people work long hours and cant message any time at the drop of the hat.

    I have been in all sides of your situation.
     
  3. KZ1000

    KZ1000

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1,100
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    The first one that commits to buying it should get it, Waiting for someone to make up there mind almost always ends with a Nah. Grab the sure thing when you get it.
     
  4. kingfish254

    kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Messages:
    24,832
    Location:
    Historic Savannah
    I think you did the right thing. If I make an offer to someone for less than full price, I don't consider that a "dibs" situation.
     
  5. Danimal

    Danimal

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Messages:
    1,871
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I think the problem is the first offer *was* a full price offer, no? He said he was asking $350 and the guy said yes to $450 shipped.

    I understand the chain of events, but personally, I would have given buyer #1 some time to respond. In the past when I'm faced with those situations, I've pm'ed buyer #1 and told him he had x amount of time to respond or I was moving on. It just seems like the right thing to do.
     
  6. kingfish254

    kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Messages:
    24,832
    Location:
    Historic Savannah
    Looks like the original price was $400 OBO. First offer was $350+shipping.
     
  7. Danimal

    Danimal

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Messages:
    1,871
    Location:
    New Hampshire

    Indeed, you are correct. I misread his post. 3 hours sleep will do that. :oops:
     
  8. MonsterMetal

    MonsterMetal

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Messages:
    619
    Location:
    Seattle
    I ended up selling to the first guy anyway. I accepted the second guys offer and told him he needed to paypal the dough, I gave him 24 hours and no money so I sold it to the first guy. Probably the biggest factor in not waiting longer on the money was the guy had just joined the forum 5 days ago and had a total of like 5 posts.... I want to be fair, but I also want to sell the dang stuff and if you say you can paypal the money then do it in a reasonable amount of time. I think I am turning into a grumpy curmudgeon
     
  9. island schwinn

    island schwinn

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    194
    Location:
    Modesto,CA
    to save the communications issue,i'll sometimes ask for a phone number to speak in person.wheelin and dealin on the internet and sites can really lose alot in the translation.with a phone number and talking to a live person,things will almost always go smoother.
    and if they flake out,you can call all hours of the day and night and make their life miserable :lol:
     

Share This Page