What to do w/ a frame in good condition?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this a few weeks ago and my son says it's for him, and he wants to keep it as original as possible :D
P3170100.jpg

P3170108.jpg

My question is...I'm not going to repaint but there some spots of rust on the frame and I would like to brighten up the paint, so what do I do? Just buff everything with a cut wax or something else? What about the rust? Do I need to sand it out then buff it? What type of wax should I use? Thanks for any help on this...oh, and it's '69 Sting Ray Fastback three speed (if you're wondering) that we got for free 8) .

Be very careful around the screens if you decide to use a rubbing compound. There is a website called hyperformance ?? think thats the name. They sell stingray stuff and may have touch up paint that is the correct color.

Mayb try some furniture polish and a good terry cloth, seems to shine it up a bit. Be very careful, I think you rson will love it either way, I know I would!

two words-Simple Green. It removes an amazing amount of grime.

that should clean up nice. arn't 3 spd fastbacks kinda rare? lucas just came out with a polish it is in a white bottle try it i am amazed how it brings back old paint

Tuetle Wax has a polish called Color Back works great, brightens up paint but it will take off your screenings, so you do have to be careful around them.

Looks like everyone else has paint restoration under control here, so I'll go for the chrome:

I use Naval Jelly and a nylon brush to clean up old crusty chrome. Heavy rust and pitting cannot be completely removed, but you'll be surprised how clean the chrome will come out with very little hard labor. For the stubborn areas I use a soft wire brush after the Naval Jelly treatment.

That is nice :p You can use some Maas metal polish to clean it up on paint and chrome :wink: I use it all the time and it is AWESOME :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back