what kind of paint does electra use?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
we have 5 electras here, for the most part they have a pretty nice finish. seems pretty durable but I never gave it much thought. im steeling some stuff off a girls coaster. I decided to strip the fenders and chainguard to paint them for a different bike. coated them with stripper and it barely softened the finish. plastic scraper wouldn't take it off I had to go to a gasket scraper. I also put it on the forks and it didn't do anything on them.

yeah I was thinking powder coat. the fenders were pretty beat up otherwise I would have scuffed and painted over them. it was easier to hit it with a paint stripper wheel on a grinder vs the paint stripper and scraper. I then hand sanded and a coat of etching primer.

Powder coat has to be wet with av. Stripper a couple days! Then, once it looks ready to fall off on its own, you are just getting started!
Never ever SAND BLAST bicycle stuff, far to aggressive. Leaves pits/ultra ruff surface, and can and will warp sheet metal.
Much better is media blasting with plastic or baking soda.

Had an old Raleigh I'm redoing for my mom that was the same way, good paint

After I'm done steeling parts from it I think I'm going to do something with it for my mother in law.

Latest posts

Back